Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Jan 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3195611)   #1
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No British F3 at Oulton, Donington or Snett in 2013

The British F3 championship has been slashed back to just 4 events; only two of them in the UK:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105307
Old 29 Jan 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3195654)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
It's a real shame a once great series has been reduced to this, back in the late 90s and early-mid 2000s the class was my favorite in the uk and a hot bed for new talent, in the last few years its been rubbish and boring though so I'm sorry to say its no great loss. F3 cup is much better racing and while the drivers may not be in the same class it is better than British f3 now.

Hey let's look forward to the new British gt season though which looks to be a corker and with an empty slot on the timetable other series like nssc can get involved!
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3195670)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Great news! Makes space on the "F3/GT" meeting timetable for something less boring, such as . . . well, just about anything!
Old 29 Jan 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3195736)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except that traditionally the support programme has been chosed in order to make the F3s look more interesting (Fiat 500s, Chevrons, Strakkers). One hopes that the criteria 'not to be more interesting than the headline act' will result in a better programme throughout.

Actually, this is a real shame. F3 is a bit niche, but I always enjoy the sight of the new kids making their first steps in a serious single seater, and the loss of that is potentially critical to the importance of this country to international motorsport.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3195755)   #5
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how the F3s non-appearance will affect the Easter weekend programme?
Old 29 Jan 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3195757)   #6
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
I wonder how the F3s non-appearance will affect the Easter weekend programme?
It'll mean there's no F3's on it!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 29 Jan 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3195764)   #7
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
It'll mean there's no F3's on it!
but will the meeting still cover the scheduled three days?
Old 29 Jan 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3195769)   #8
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
but will the meeting still cover the scheduled three days?
Brit f3 was never going there anyway I think. F3 cup will be there though
Old 29 Jan 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3195771)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm told the GT line up is impressive, with two 1 hour races on Monday, so I'm assuming that means the full 3 day weekend is still on.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3195801)   #10
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully F3 Cup will be present on Easter Monday as per last season.

There was no racing on Easter Sunday. Quite what the Saturday timetable will be we don't know yet.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3195805)   #11
Gas bag
Rookie

England
San Miguel De Abona
Gas bag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, how sad, never mind!!!!............. LOL
Old 29 Jan 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3195867)   #12
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the F4's may replace them at some meetings.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3195890)   #13
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not that much of surprise really when you consider that it's £750,000 per seat and that the tracks utilised for the most part are not used in F1, which is what all single seat drivers are aiming for.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3195955)   #14
Simon Morris
Racer

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Simon Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not a fan of F3 or formula Renault.
As stated by Steve there is no real surprise that they are struggling to get entries. Most of the world is experiencing an economic down turn and along side that other emerging European championships offer strong competition. Teams and drivers are going to spend there extremely high budgets where they think they are going to get best out of it.

That said though I think this is of major concern for the UK motor sport industry.
If F3 teams move to Europe or switch to other championships such as touring cars or GT's the knowledge will be lost to us over time. This probably could lead to future difficulties for UK drivers and mechanics to get into top class single seater race teams such as F1.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3195983)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
I think the F4's may replace them at some meetings.
I'd be surprised if that were to happen - F4 is already scheduled to race at the Snett meeting; Oulton would bring the start of the F4 season forward by four weeks, which may not be popular with entrants (particularly given that they are yet to get their hands on the cars), whcih leaves just Donington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Milward View Post
It's not that much of surprise really when you consider that it's £750,000 per seat and that the tracks utilised for the most part are not used in F1, which is what all single seat drivers are aiming for.
Unlike most of the previous posters, I am a fan of F3 but I think it is clear that the costs haven't helped, particularly as drivers want to race on GP tracks, hence races at the likes of Croft and Thruxton being eschewed, but with an increase costs.

I do wonder if the long term future of British F3 is to run solely for National Class spec cars (along the lines of the German F3 Cup) and essential serve as stepping stone between F4/FFord/FRenault and Euro F3.
Old 30 Jan 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3196122)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it was 1981 but believe me, Thruxton in a F3 car is scary.
Thruxton is the fastest circuit in the UK.
Old 30 Jan 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3196258)   #17
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's one of life's great unanswered questions. How did you manage to fit in an F3 car ?

Seriously though, my major concern is the dire state of 'career' single seater racing both in the UK and Europe. Where is the next Senna, Prost, Hill, Schumacher, Button, etc., going to come from if all the drivers in these catagories become 'daddy will pay for my drive' seat warmers ?
Old 31 Jan 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3196791)   #18
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the problem is paying drivers. They've always existed and always will. Even some of the greats had wealthy families who paid for them to get started.

I think the problem is too many similar categories and no clear career ladder. F3; F4; GP3 and then Renault 3.5; Auto GP; GP2. That's not to mention the number of championships for the same formulae - British F3; Euro F3; German F3, for instance.

There is only so much money going around and with several categories competing for the same funded drivers something has to give. Last year was F Renault, this year it's British F3. Next year....?

It's been said many times, until the governing bodies (whether that's FIA or national bodies such as the MSA) take a firm line and say no to new championships and categories that mirror existing formulae thin grids; crowded calendars; and poor racing will result.

The only beneficiaries from the current abundance of competing championships are the circuit owners, who have more meetings to host. The clubs don't benefit because they struggle to meet the costs of running a meeting from fewer entries. Drivers' reputations suffer because they have beaten thinner grids, so were they really the best of the crop? Marshals have too many over crowded meetings to cover, and often enjoy worse racing because of small grids. Spectators have to choose which meetings to support, resulting in lower attendances at all events.

I was never a big F3 fan but it was nice to see talented up-and-coming drivers, and when they occasionally reached the top be able to say, "I remeber seeing him when...". Hopefully, British F3 will make a return, but somehow I doubt it will have the kudos it once did.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3197018)   #19
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The number of catagories is also a major concern, and, yes, motorsport has always required lots of cash to get started in the 'professional' catagories.

You can understand the growth of GP3 and GP2. They're on the F1 programme. They are promoted as 'the' F1 feeder series. WSR is a well promoted series, but the emphasis on it's promotion is as another feeder to GP2.

So where does F3 fit in now ? Possible feeder to GP2 ? It was that, but now ?
I think one of the biggest incumberances (?) to a young drivers' career is that F1 team 'bosses' don't see the local young 'hotshoes' on GP Sunday morning and probably never will again.

I'm afraid that the only future path to a F1 drive is going to be compulsory spells in GP3 and GP2 before qualifying for a Superlicence to then become an 'apprentice' F1 third driver. After all, it will mean that the new F1 drivers will then know all the European circuits at least.

Sad, very sad !!!