Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2004, 13:33 (Ref:965213)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spain - Post race discussion

Schumacher's 75th win.

Barrichello second.

Trulli beats Alonso to the podium and Button gets a point after poor qualifying.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:33 (Ref:965215)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it the worst race for years.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:40 (Ref:965225)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as bad as any race especially when a team dominates as Ferrari and Schumacher do.
75th win out of 200 starts
that is incredible. williams brake problems and the ferrari engine sound is something of curiosity of this day, and shy did poor sato fade away.

i elieve exciting races may have much to do with the camera and producers of TV, they follow the leaders simple- the top guys rarely have much competition when they break away from the crowd, the midfield has all the action and this is rarely covered- for good enough reason but this is the way it usually is in all racing except ovals...
Old 9 May 2004, 13:40 (Ref:965226)   #4
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I came home from prom early to wake up for this? I feel so dirty.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:44 (Ref:965235)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not a great race, but hell I've seen worse!

75 wins in 200 is an awesome tally isn't it?

Time to retire I think.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:45 (Ref:965240)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not convinced there was much action going on down the order either. It was just generally dull, as Barcelona almost always is. I can't really think of any moment that excited me after the start.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:45 (Ref:965241)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I thought it the worst race for years.
Post WHAT? discussion.

Tedious, boring, waste of time, and anything else I can think of.

Couldn't understand what happened to JPM but the first corner "excitement" was er sadly lacking don't you think?

The only bright points were Fisi getting it together and Button doing what he could to salvage a point. All the others (disregarding Ferrari) were suffering due to the nature of the track. If you didn't want to be overtaken you didn't have to do much to stop it happening.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:46 (Ref:965246)   #8
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Old 9 May 2004, 13:49 (Ref:965251)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was the best we could expect from Barcelona I guess........

I really hope he doesn't win at Monaco and break Mansells record (well, it's his as well now, but Mansell got there first!) and equal Sennas Monaco record. Please leave those alone!
Old 9 May 2004, 13:56 (Ref:965264)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn! What are the oppositions doing but throwing away the millions??? It's a terrible race. No fight for the lead (we all know Trulli ain't gonna lead for long)... Williams kicking themselves out with pathetic performance in the race from the cars and drivers, Mclaren drivers seemingly pushed the car as fast as it could go and still get lapped. Even the best up-comers Renault and BAR could only put up a feeble performance and nothing but a flash of misled hope.

Well done to Ferrari. Great domination, great win. Their good job is made all the more obvious and admirable when considering what the rest had done. Different strategies but works wonderfully. Great 200th GP for MS, neat 75th GP. Didn't get out of 2nd gear and still manage to walk away from the wanna-bes.

I thought it was a pretty good drive from Fisi. Sauber were ready to try a different strategy and it paid off decent enough. Alonso must be mentioned too for racing the wheels off that car all the way to the flag.
Old 9 May 2004, 13:59 (Ref:965269)   #11
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well done to ms for another run away victory, duff exhaust and all....75 wins....simply incredible....trulli gets my vote for drive of the race though....kudos to jarno......can things get any worse for williams and mclaren?......they are artocious......
Old 9 May 2004, 14:00 (Ref:965273)   #12
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sauber was looking good for this race ..better then McLaren . and leaving the Jaguar/Toyota/Jordan pack ..
to bad Massa qualified bad . or we could have had a 7th and 8th for Sauber ..

Ciao Marco
Old 9 May 2004, 14:01 (Ref:965276)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man what a boring race. Worst since Japan 2002.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:01 (Ref:965277)   #14
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, we shouldn't really have expected much in hte way of excitement at Barcelona. Just goes to emphasise Martin Brundle's (and others') point that the biggest change we need in F1 is to the top surface aero packages to allow cars to get closer to each other.

A shame for Rubens that his strategy didn't quite work out - he needed Jarno to stay out in front of Michael, and he didn't need a team cock-up at his second stop!

Knowlesy, don't hold yer breath mate! I guess one thing is that Monaco is always a little more of a lottery, if you were to gamble on one race Michael wouldn't win it'd be Monaco. Not that he isn't awesome around the streets, just that it's the kind of place where someone unexpected pops up at the front and stays there...
Old 9 May 2004, 14:05 (Ref:965283)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*cough* the team cock-up cost him almost nothing(they fitted the wheel before the refuelling was complete). It's the slow get-away, which really the "team" isn't to blame.

I would say the strategy worked pretty well. 2 stoppers seem to be the winner today, gaining positions pretty well.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:06 (Ref:965285)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Bet the Fisi bashers feel like fools now. Come on, time to accept your pie! Forza Fisi! Forza Taku!
Old 9 May 2004, 14:06 (Ref:965286)   #17
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could be right Gt_R, though it seemed they weren't ready with the right tyres, which was very odd for Ferrari.

Yeah the two stop strategy worked well, just not quite as well as Rubinho may have hoped!

Last edited by garcon; 9 May 2004 at 14:08.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:07 (Ref:965288)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Fisi had a great race!

But it's just one race, man!
Old 9 May 2004, 14:10 (Ref:965295)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
3 in a row that he has beaten Massa, my friend...
Old 9 May 2004, 14:12 (Ref:965301)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Bet the Fisi bashers feel like fools now. Come on, time to accept your pie! Forza Fisi! Forza Taku!
I don't he didn't exactly do anything spectacular to get there did he?

As I said elsewhere, if you don't want to be overtaken at Barcelona there's little you have to do to defend your position.

So for me there's still no evidence that he's anything other than an also ran. Sorry.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:17 (Ref:965315)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Also ran? You have got to be kidding... Defending your position? Strategy, my friend. The two stop worked well for him because he was able to drive flawlessly.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:17 (Ref:965317)   #22
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a complete ****ing bore.
Another 2 hours of my life wasted.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:20 (Ref:965322)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
At least it gives us something to discuss but his tyres were shot and nobody could pass him.

So the strategy was just to give him the position. He didn't do anything other than stay on the racing line.

But you keep wearing those rose tints and maybe one day we'll see what you are droning on about.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:21 (Ref:965329)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well Fisi has managed to get on top of Massa at last...but he's still destined to spend the rest of his career in midfield.
Old 9 May 2004, 14:24 (Ref:965337)   #25
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Ahhh.. well at least the tone has changed from: "He's washed up, and he can't beat Massa" to "Well, ok, he's better than Massa, but he'll never get a good drive."