Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1161022)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marc Gene (almost) confirmed at Ferrari

Ferrari are on the verge of confirming Marc Gene as their second test driver for 2005.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 17:59 (Ref:1161029)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's interesting that Ferrari should need a second test driver if they intend to go along with the proposed cuts in testing,I would have thought none of the teams would require any test drivers if testing is reduced to 28 days surely the regular drivers will take up that allocation.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1161078)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by martyn bott
It's interesting that Ferrari should need a second test driver if they intend to go along with the proposed cuts in testing,I would have thought none of the teams would require any test drivers if testing is reduced to 28 days surely the regular drivers will take up that allocation.
I think there is something of a moral stand off over that issue, in that the remaining teams will 'symbolicaly' be able to pour cold water on Ferrari's 2005 results if they are acheived with double the testing, whilst Ferrari refuse to have a gun put their head and made be a scapegoat over the issue.

If they hire Gene, as you rightly say, it will indicate that Ferrari intend to test more or less as per usual.

On the practical front Gene has covered 1000's of km on Michelin's so will be able to offer a good comparison to Bridgestone, same for BMW power vs Ferrari power.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1161119)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

On the practical front Gene has covered 1000's of km on Michelin's so will be able to offer a good comparison to Bridgestone, same for BMW power vs Ferrari power.
Yes, agreed; Ferrari, not one to be caught flat footed is well aware that Bridgestone may not be around forever and will prepare for that contingency ... and/or they may make the switch themselves if warranted. Not sure if BMW power is that much of a concern, at this time, but Gene would be in a good position to assess that aspect as well.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1161159)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think Gene to Ferrari may be another genius move by Ferrari / Bridgestone.
Marc will take a lot of data from Williams to Ferrari.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1161178)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
can I get a re-cap on who the ferrari testers have been over the last few years please ?

Ok if my mind is working right (occassionally it does) 2003 they had Badoer and Massa right ?

2004 they had badoer and ???????

2005 I am guess ing that they are keeping badoer and wanting gene ?

I was under the impression that Gene was firmly entrenched at Williams , even though he didnt race that well I though Frank and patrick thought highly of his testing skills ?

I gotta keep more up to date on f1 !!!!
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1161196)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Though Frank & Pat may think well of his test skills, they obviously didn't think much of his racing skills.

I expect it's Gené making the move, the factors being:

A. Williams probably won't give him another driving shot, another team might (Ferrari are less likely than most though).
B. Ferrari no doubt pay better - especially if he gets paid by the mile.

Strange though, if Gené does join Ferrari - then Ferrari's test team drivers are the same as the 1999 Minardi-Fondmetal driver line-up!

Last edited by Hazard; 22 Nov 2004 at 21:18.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1161200)   #8
topgirl
Rookie

topgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hes now been confirmed according to F1-live.com-its the main headline right now.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1161208)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
LOL , just read the same headline Topgirl , you beat me to it

well done for gene I guess he is one of a billion people who would love to get their bum into one of those red cars
Old 22 Nov 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1161303)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I suspect Gene is a pretty happy chappy.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:51 (Ref:1161356)   #11
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The number of DAYS testing is limited...
Not the number of CARS/DRIVERS.

They could have 10 test drivers (and cars) operating on the same day, if they want to, just to get the same mileage as they used to with many more test days.

David.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 00:14 (Ref:1161374)   #12
Kirk
Veteran

Good point DKG. It would be expensive to pay the drivers but since when has that stopped 'em. If there's a loophole, Ferrari will usually find it; you may be on to something.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1161410)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Good point DKG. It would be expensive to pay the drivers but since when has that stopped 'em. If there's a loophole, Ferrari will usually find it; you may be on to something.
Do you really think Frank and Ron have'nt already thought of this?
Old 23 Nov 2004, 05:30 (Ref:1161452)   #14
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DKGandBH
The number of DAYS testing is limited...
Not the number of CARS/DRIVERS.

They could have 10 test drivers (and cars) operating on the same day, if they want to, just to get the same mileage as they used to with many more test days.

David.
I think it is a little different when you weigh testing by distance rather than time...you can't test all parts and it's evolutions at the same time...however, gene would be the perfect choice among the rest at the moment imo...
Old 23 Nov 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1161561)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't read it in relation to this latest testing restriction, but it has been previously established that a day testing is two car-days. So ten days is twenty one-car days, or five four-car days etc.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1161686)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
And here he is...

Last edited by Sodemo; 23 Nov 2004 at 12:20.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1161720)   #17
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
can I get a re-cap on who the ferrari testers have been over the last few years please ?

Ok if my mind is working right (occassionally it does) 2003 they had Badoer and Massa right ?

2004 they had badoer and ???????

2005 I am guess ing that they are keeping badoer and wanting gene ?

I was under the impression that Gene was firmly entrenched at Williams , even though he didnt race that well I though Frank and patrick thought highly of his testing skills ?

I gotta keep more up to date on f1 !!!!
Actually, if memory serves, I don't think Ferrari had a second test driver this year - IIRC, it was usually Barrichello and Badoer carrying the bulk of the work, with Michael chipping in occasionally.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1161783)   #18
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to f1racing.net, Badoer, Gene and Jarno Trulli are testing at Barcelona today. In the first 90 minutes Marc Gené was the quickest driver of the three. Gené set a fastest lap time of 1.17.785 in his first eight laps. Pretty impressive...
Old 23 Nov 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1161793)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari also use Bertolini for occasional tests and system checks, so that's 3 test drivers and 2 race drivers.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1161794)   #20
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it true that Gene left Williams and not vice versa?
Old 23 Nov 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1161801)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I think the relationship soured after Gene was replaced by Pizzonia. After all Gene was officially nominated as the reserve driver but Williams didn't feel he was quick enough.

I think it was a case of Williams not looking to renew and Gene not happy about Pizzonia stepping in - result end of 'relationship' as the saying goes.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 14:58 (Ref:1161803)   #22
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did Luciano Burti last test for Ferrari? Thought he had done the occasional test over the last couple of years?
Old 23 Nov 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1161806)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I think he had a couple of runs last year, but Ferrari favour Bertolini nowadays for the occasional work and systems checks.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1161885)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Burti was an official test driver for a year or something? Hrrrm, possibly getting confused.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1161937)   #25
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Do you really think Frank and Ron have'nt already thought of this?
Thinking about something and acting upon something are two different things. Ferrari is much more likely than anyone other team to "exploit" any rule they can, no matter the expense, as money seems to be of no consequence. If Ferrari stays true to form, one way or another they will find a way to test to the max .... and I will not roll my eyes!