Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2396881)   #1
VENTOMAN
Rookie

United Kingdom
VENTOMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Transport for Marshals

HI EVERYONE,IT DID OCCUR TO ME THAT IN THESE HARD TIMES,IT WOULD NOT BE TOO DIFFICULT TO ARRANGE FOR DRIVERS,TEAMS ETC TO GIVE MARSHALLS A LIFT TO THE VARIOUS MEETINGS.WHAT DO YOU THINK?IF WE HAD A DEDICATED SITE FOR LIASON ARANGEMENTS,IT COULD WORK OUT QUITE WELL.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2396895)   #2
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to ten-tenths

A little tip for you: TYPING EVERYTHING IN CAPS is considered tantamount to shouting, and generally unwelcome when done excessively as above. Please refrain from doing so except to draw attention to something specific

Personally, I'm sorted for transport, but wrt your plan, why leave it just at teams? Surely anybody going to a circuit, including other marshals would be able to give people a lift! I'm sure if you know of a nearby team who're going to the same circuit as you, you could make arrangements with them.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2396935)   #3
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ventoman & welcome to Ten Tenths. We do already have a facility to organise car sharing etc
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103604
& IMHO there is nothing wrong with a team replying to a request or posting up an offer of a lift.

Col
Old 13 Feb 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2397095)   #4
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moderators. Any chance of also putting this thread (or a similar message) on to various drivers forums?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2397167)   #5
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Ventoman,

Nice idea but as Marshal we need to be at a circuit before the first practice and can not leave until after the last. Which would mean needing to arrange two lifts a day.

Unless of cause the lift provider is willing to arrive early or stay until the last race
Old 14 Feb 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2397213)   #6
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer
Unless of cause the lift provider is willing to arrive early or stay until the last race
My lift provider is willing to arrive early and leave late - it is part of the qualification for the guest pass that usually comes with marshalling duty!!
Old 14 Feb 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2397568)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Luckily, Bill & I tend to car share anyway - after all it does make sense considering!!!

If we go in my car then no chance of lifts (it is a 2-seater convertible) but if we go in Bill's then the more the merrier (Volvo Estate). Anybody live around Gnosall/Stafford ???

Edit to add that we are being very selective again this year as to what meetings we do, ie not many!
Old 15 Feb 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2397689)   #8
VENTOMAN
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702
Welcome to ten-tenths

A little tip for you: TYPING EVERYTHING IN CAPS is considered tantamount to shouting, and generally unwelcome when done excessively as above. Please refrain from doing so except to draw attention to something specific

Personally, I'm sorted for transport, but wrt your plan, why leave it just at teams? Surely anybody going to a circuit, including other marshals would be able to give people a lift! I'm sure if you know of a nearby team who're going to the same circuit as you, you could make arrangements with them.
Hi,point taken,did not realise there was a protocol on blogs,learn something new everyday!and being a racer (since1985),l was unaware of the marshalls timetable.l think it best to post arrival times at the track,and if it helps someone,great.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2397791)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilcommen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENTOMAN
Hi,point taken,did not realise there was a protocol on blogs,learn something new everyday!and being a racer (since1985),l was unaware of the marshalls timetable.l think it best to post arrival times at the track,and if it helps someone,great.
Well...I for one, would be very happy if a Bernie-arranged Limo picked me up each morning at Ohhhhhh-dark-hundred of a GP weekend!!
Old 15 Feb 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2397862)   #10
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Welcome Ventoman,
If you are talking about a lift for yourself then it might be an idea to tell us where you live, don't be too precise, and what meeting to are planning to attend.
Myself, I usually have 3 spare seats and travel to various meetings around the country. Even though I've indecated this in the past, nobody has yet taken up my offer, except young Tom Kelly.
My driving is not that bad, honest!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2398492)   #11
VENTOMAN
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Welcome Ventoman,
If you are talking about a lift for yourself then it might be an idea to tell us where you live, don't be too precise, and what meeting to are planning to attend.
Myself, I usually have 3 spare seats and travel to various meetings around the country. Even though I've indecated this in the past, nobody has yet taken up my offer, except young Tom Kelly.
My driving is not that bad, honest!
Hi,many thanks for the offer,l am actually a racer,with a small team with transport.for some reason l was posted as a " rookie",which l have since tried to change,but cannot seem to find the bit that allows me to change that,as it should obviously read veteran racer,being the ripe old age of 66!help!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2398497)   #12
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,many thanks for the offer,l am actually a racer,with a small team with transport.for some reason l was posted as a " rookie",which l have since tried to change,but cannot seem to find the bit that allows me to change that,as it should obviously read veteran racer,being the ripe old age of 66!help!
The term rookie indicates that you are a member of the forum with less than 100 posts.

Please see the FAQ here for more general information and here for the entry on user titles specifically.

Old 16 Feb 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2398516)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not planning to go to Spa by any chance, I'd love a lift there!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2398518)   #14
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless you are doing a specific meeting like a grand prix or similar status event then you really cant be that accommodating. We have to get to circuits very early and normally leave very late as stated above and if the event is over a weekend then accommodation needs to be sorted too. Its difficult to arrange for all this for the marshals even though we do try to sort it with locals traveling together.

I bring a mate with me who stays over the night before so we can at least try and get a bit of kip before an early start that isnt quite as early as it would need be if we picked each other up before setting off but if anyone can figure out how to get a marshalls bus and free hotel on circuit for the night im in

It is proving to be more expensive these days and help would be welcome from any source but there are many times when its easier to just get in the car and drive. Maybe the circuit owners could issue fuel vouchers for us
Old 19 Feb 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2400430)   #15
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free Tickets Free Transport Free Everything
Old 19 Feb 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2400452)   #16
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
nothing is truly free
Old 19 Feb 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2400453)   #17
scottishsoilder
Rookie

Scotland
North Yorkshire
scottishsoilder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always willing to give a lift to anyone going to the same race as myself, unfortunatly due to the nature of my job I have had to cancel at the last minute, which has been extreamly frustrating!
Old 20 Feb 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2400680)   #18
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Always willing to give a lift to anyone going to the same race as myself.

My normal hunting ground is Brands Hatch...And travel from Swindon...always have an empty car...