mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber on Pizzonia

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/14192/

Webber: "Pizzonia Knows He's Been Lying"

“He knows he’s been lying. He says his car [at Jaguar] was different than mine? Not true. If he does believe that, he’s a loser,” Webber told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

“He did well this season replacing Ralf Schumacher,” continued Webber, “but there was no pressure on him. Things are different when you are the team’s official race driver; the responsibilities are much higher. Specially inside the cockpit of a Williams,” he poked.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Dec 2004 at 10:20. Reason: Copyright, please do not copy and past entire articles. The link is good, but just quote thebits that make your point for posting the thread. I've trimmed it to try and do that, but could only guess.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1170229)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pathetic comments really from a good man.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:17 (Ref:1170247)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he's just standing up for himself. Everyone says he hasn't teamed with any good drivers, and the view is (especially by certain members here) that things were tilted against Pizzonia.

Now, if Mark knows that that is not the case (something which he is in a position to know), what is to stop him speaking his mind?

For the record, at the start of 2003, I thought Pizzonia would beat Mark.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1170256)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing is though, jaguar have said they could have handled things better as regards Pizzonia. Quite what that means exactly is open to debate, but it is likely that the two cars weren't exactly equal. And it wouldn't surprise me.......after all, Jaguar in 2003 probably weren't capable of running two equal cars.

Just look at Justin Wilson, in my opinion a better driver than mark. He was made to look average.

I like Mark Webber a lot and hope he becomes champion one day, in a Williams. He just doesn't need to come out with things like this. After all, what's to say he won't be teamed up with pizzonia next year. This will have soured the atmosphere in the team somewhat. And who's to say Pizzonia couldn't beat Mark, all things being equal?

Last edited by Knowlesy; 2 Dec 2004 at 21:24.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1170273)   #5
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Big Mouth!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Pathetic comments really from a good man.
I agree with you knowlesy. Maybe we're starting to see the real Webber? It's a shame that he calls Pizzonia a loser. I've lost what little respect I had for the guy, and he hasn't even come close to winning a race yet.

I think it's time to keep track of what comes out of this guy's mouth. Is he taking over from Eddie Irvine? Speaking of lying...I remember when there was a possibility that he and Villeneuve would drive for Williams next year, and he went on record saying that he didn't want Villeneuve as a teammate for whatever reason. He just recently states that he doesn't care who is teammate is for next season. It seems as though now that all the serious threats are gone, he is all brave again.

He has a lot to prove this year ad quite frankly I think he has been promoted beyond his talent, however that isn't his fault. He had better deliver, otherwise he will be know as "The Great Flop from Down Under!"

Tye
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1170292)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He's putting himself under some unecessary pressure in a way....
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1170296)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Mark's speaking out of turn here. He would have been better to save any comments until after the driver selection has been made, rather than attmepting to bias Frank's choice. Mark doesn't seem to have any real evidence of rhis claims, and what he's saying contradicts the popular understanding of Jaguar's history, not just that season.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1170301)   #8
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
.......after all, Jaguar in 2003 probably weren't capable of running two equal cars.
When were Stewart/Jaguar ever capable of running two equal cars?

Last edited by nkh; 2 Dec 2004 at 21:50.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1170405)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, i'm quite surprised with this uncalled for outburst and disappointed that Webber acted this way.

It only succeeded to show his bitterness and ruin the image of team-guy.

It isn't a secret that Jaguar were in problems with their style of running the team, and that certain allegations stated by Antonio are possibly not dreamt up. For Webber to deny what basically is something which had unfortunately happened due to the inabilities of the team won't reflect well on him now.

Williams would probably be upset about such petty issues, and having come out from a turbulent relationship of RS and JPM, would probably now take Nickif the next test goes well.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1170470)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How is anyone here in a position to say Pizzonia's allegations weren't dreamt up, but Mark's suggestions are? Or vice versa?
Old 4 Dec 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1170478)   #11
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I must admit This is way out of the norm for Mark . this is something Mark just does not do .

Buut saying that I think Mark is right . I just wonder how true this is I have never read or seen mark for one swear in a interview before . I also remember early this year Pizza ran his mouth off just before the German GP about the whole jag thing then mark handed his ass to him by beating on track quite eazly .

I just find this really hard to sallow Mark has always done his talking on track always
I know know his in williams and this team always is picked a apart in the public eye more than any other team (1 of the main reasons I didn't want mark to go there ) as things get miss qouted so easy and more so in when you drive for Frank .

But as I said "I don't disagree with what mark "supposly" said"

ps . love the new fomat & sorry about the spelling

Last edited by Mark Webber; 4 Dec 2004 at 11:53.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1170526)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ah..thats why there's this word "possibly".

But come to think of it, if Antonio is bullsheeting all these stuffs about inferior equipment and cracked tub and stuff..you'd believe Jaguar would make a very vocal objection about it.

But honestly, irregardless of whether or not Webber had a 'better' car, Webber had done a decent job at Jaguar that's quite obvious. There's really no need for him to stone his own feet with such strong and bitter words. I admire his driving, and honestly hope it's a one-off incident. Let it rest mark..irregardless of what Antonio would be your teammate next year either as tester or racer...and you need help from him either way if you are to bring the fight to mclaren and ferrari.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1170533)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is certainly an unprovoked outburst from Mark and certainly one that is very out of character. I'm disappointed that he's said this to the media.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1170537)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams have reprimanded Webber for his comments.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1170563)   #15
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm I seriously doubt those were the words used by Webber and if they were to be true i agree it is disapointing to hera him talk like that. Im sure he could find better ways to play the mental game with a potential team mate.
Id like to see the proof that "Williams have reprimanded Webber for his comments". Is there an official statement regarding the matter?

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1170567)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From autosport.com

Quote:

Williams has moved to quell any growing friction between Mark Webber and hopeful future team-mate Antonio Pizzonia getting out of control by stepping in to stop the latest public spat between the two drivers.

In the wake of comments from Webber in the Italian press on Thursday accusing Pizzonia of being a ‘liar' over his claims of unfair treatment at Jaguar, high level sources have told autosport.com that the team has verbally reprimanded the Australian about his behaviour and warned him to not repeat such comments again.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1170582)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah those
Quote:
sources
within the team again, albeit high level.

I think it is a shame if true, but let's see what this week brings. Certainly appears to be way out of character for Mr W.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1170585)   #18
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Ah those "sources" within the team again, albeit high level.
LOL I too have read what the 'high level sources' have told the media, it doesnt prove anything IMHO

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 4 Dec 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1170660)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with most here, Un-called for comments from Mark. Especially since Pizzonia will atleast be a test driver. The last thing Williams need is a new Ralf-Montoya situation.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1170723)   #20
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems Knowlesy summed it up nicely early in the thread. Mark should let the driving make his point. He's incredibly fast and talented.
IMHO Pizzonia also has shown plenty of pace and ability to put up with pressure.

Ralf Fan is also right in that the Williams Team does not need another JPM RS feud.

Patrick head is not exaclty shy about letting the drivers know what he thinks. I hope he's made it absolutely clear to Mark thet ist is the driving, not the talking.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1170757)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If he ends up teamed with Pizzonia on the driving front, there's a lot of pressure on Mark now, because he will have to beat Antonio comprehensively to preserve his reputation and not look like stroppy or insecure.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1170797)   #22
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really disappointed by Webber. I don't have a lot of time for Pizzonia, but he didn't deserve to be shot down when he's trying to get his seat sorted out for next year
. It will be hilarious if he beats Webber on a consistent basis next year, and it will make people less sympathetic to Webber's cause in the future.

Webber appears to be developing a nice Irvine sized ego, again based on zero results.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 02:45 (Ref:1171006)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Wow. where to start with this.

First up, is this for real. Whenever I read something out of character for any driver I immediately look at the source. Italian press huh, hmmm, right up there with the British tabloids.

Assuming for a moment this is true, I would like to know the question asked (alot of drivers are taken out of context with loaded questions with only part answers printed).

Secondly, is'nt he just respsonding to Antonio's comments. How long should MW stay silent with Antonio spraying this **** undefended? If somone was dissing me in public, I would respond as well.

Where were all the downers when Pizza was spraying Webber?

IIRC, Antonia got into Mark and Jaguar (unprovocked I might ad) at Germany, then went on to be cleaned up by Mark's Jag in a Williams. Or did Mark manipulate that too?

Anyway, if all of the above is true, I join everyone in being diappointed. Mark, your above it, dont sink to Pizza's level.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 04:08 (Ref:1171021)   #24
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I support Webbers comments.

If Pizza is allowed to spread rumors about his treatment at Jaguar, then Mark is also allowed to refute those claims.

Webber kicked Pizza's backside when they were both in the Jag.

He then kicked Pizza's backside driving a Jag, while Pizza was in the Williams at the German GP.

I dont like Pizza, and i feel that Mark is somewhat bitter about not having Jenson as a teamate.

He has had to contend with second-class and lackluster teamates during all of his f1 Career thus far, and as a result, he has had to do all the development work himself.

Webber is trying to sway opinion inside Williams that if Pizzonia is chosen as his teammate, it will not be a harmonous relationship.

I think that Heidfeld would be a much better choice (Webbers choice), but....

1. Webber could have worded his comments to the media better (were they taken when he was half tanked at an Italian bar??)
2. Keep the comments to himself and keep kicking Pizza's backside in testing.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 04:47 (Ref:1171030)   #25
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Antonio did indeed have to race with a cracked tub in his Jaguar, which hasn't been disputed, then the equipment wasn't equal. No surprise there.

Mark should watch his mouth, as Antonio hasn't been at Williams this long because Frank and/or Patrick think he's ****, and with proper motivation, this should be a cracking battle next year.