Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:17 (Ref:526658)   #1
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
What if it rains Sunday

Sorry if this has been discussed before, im sure it has... but what happens if we have a nice dry saturday qualifying and it rains Sunday? They still race with the same setup? Tyres?

or someone could point me to the correct thread, i couldnt see any on the 1st page regarding this. Thanx
J

Last edited by Cougar21; 6 Mar 2003 at 15:18.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:21 (Ref:526661)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, they can altyer the aerodynamic setup and tyres. Actually they can alter the aero-setup even if it doesn't rain.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:22 (Ref:526664)   #3
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we have a dry saturday and wet sunday, it's still likely schuey will win. =P
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:25 (Ref:526666)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Besides that.. Correction to my previous post: only FRONT wing can be adjusted. Not the rear.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:27 (Ref:526669)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it right that they can't change the mechanical set up? a full wet set up is quite different to any dry one - there's a great deal more to it than aero settings. Of course they are already faced with this problem if it should happen to rain mid-race... actually this would be mid-race, what with the Saturday qualifying lap being effectively just the first lap of the race.

I'd expect some cars to be much better on wets without adjustment than others - basically anything with good mechanical grip and a forgiving character is going to be easier to make work in the rain that other cars that are less forgiving. So - that would be the Ferraris then... when you see how soft they look somethimes, gliding over curbs where other cars are crashing and bouncing.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:29 (Ref:526672)   #6
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
ah ok so it was just me being dumb... thanx for the info..

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:30 (Ref:526673)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Sorry, wrong thread

Yes, Glen, they can change the front wing setup provided they use the same parts (that is no front wing replacement). They can also work at suspensions, but, (and hold on tight) they don't use tools!!

Last edited by Red; 6 Mar 2003 at 15:32.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:42 (Ref:526686)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gascoine had a good point, when he said that wouldn't have designed their cars the same if they'd known the rules... It must be quite feasible to re-engineer quite a lot of the car so that it can be set-up without tools. The big teams will always find a way round - always a more expensive way! Maybe mechanics with allen keys and spanners grafted where their fingers used to be!
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:44 (Ref:526687)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Sorry, wrong thread

Yes, Glen, they can change the front wing setup provided they use the same parts (that is no front wing replacement). They can also work at suspensions, but, (and hold on tight) they don't use tools!!
You're kidding right? No tools? Huh? Are the mechanics subjected to a full body cavity search before they look at the car? What happens if someone smuggles in a swiss army knife? Disqualification? Jail?
Old 6 Mar 2003, 15:48 (Ref:526693)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
(but it's not my real laugh... ) And I quote:

"...it must be clear from physical inspection that changes cannot be made without the use of tools."

---------------------------
I definitelly need a vacation...

Last edited by Red; 6 Mar 2003 at 15:54.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 16:01 (Ref:526711)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Want more of the Maximillian Rufus Mosley's wisdom? Here this one (and one of my favorite topics: screens and covers):

The phrasing was: "In an attempt to be clear ( ), and in addition to the above, the following are/are not permitted" and 2 lists of stuff followed. 1 day before the first F1 engine is to be fired-up they actually realised that they forgot to add the tyre heating blankets to the "allowed" list!!!!!! And he accuses Frank and Ron, whithout blushing, of not being focused enough!!!!! Sheese Rufus, get real!!!

Last edited by Red; 6 Mar 2003 at 16:04.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 18:36 (Ref:526875)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could get rid of heaters too. Would add yet another factor -driving on cold tires.
Old 6 Mar 2003, 19:31 (Ref:526923)   #13
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Latest weather forecasts suggest that Friday will be cloudy, although hot with air temperature set to reach a high of 27 degrees Centigrade.

Saturday will be a different story as cloud cover remains and there is a significant chance of intermittent rain showers throughout the day. Sautrday will see cooler temperatures with highs of 18 degrees Centigrade forecast.

Sunday looks set to be dry, although cloudy. Air temperature is forecast to reach a high of 21 degrees Centigrade.
f1racing.net

Qualifying is going to be somewhat interesting.