Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Dec 2002, 01:40 (Ref:455196)   #1
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams write off title hopes for 2003!!!!!

Quote:
Sir Frank Williams has already admitted defeat to Ferrari in the battle for the 2003 championship.

Williams is resigned to his team playing second fiddle to the all-conquering Italian team – because he says F1’s tight regulations do not allow them to make the quantum leap forward necessary to close the gap.

He told the BBC: "Ferrari and Michael were brilliant. We need an enormous jump to catch up with them, but the strict rules don't allow a revolution, only small steps."

Williams singled out world champion Michael Schumacher as the biggest difference between the two teams.

He said: "We have two strong drivers in Juan Pablo Montoya and in Ralf Schumacher. But, I am honest. Michael is the biggest problem for everyone, he is extraordinary."

Williams said he hoped that next year’s car would be more reliable than this season’s FW24. And he is determined to see the team translate their impressive qualifying form into race wins.

He said: "We were on pole seven times this year and we won only one race. That was very frustrating."

The Williams FW25 should be ready to test by the end of January.

This was taken from itv-f1, and like all their articles (and my thread titles) its exaggerating Franks comments. Nevertheless, you do sense a lack of optimism from Frank. Like Berger, they tend be fairly pessemistic about their championship hopes. So is this just sandbagging from Williams or will Ferrari and Michael be too strong again in 2003?
Old 22 Dec 2002, 01:55 (Ref:455205)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they are still shocked at the shalacking they took from Ferrari last year, and so are not going to say anything like 'We have a definite chance this year.' Can you blame them?

I think Williams will do better though. They are just holding their cards close to their chest.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 02:03 (Ref:455206)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is pretty sad. I never understood that. I would always say we are going to do the best the team can do but not that we "cant" beat anyone. That attitude can bring the whole team down and slow their progress.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 02:41 (Ref:455221)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so true neilap . Willams had a bad attitude this year towards its drivers and they paid for it .
Old 22 Dec 2002, 02:42 (Ref:455222)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would you expect them to say anything else? The gap to Ferrari just so large that nobody could surpass that over one off-season. Obviously, like manoz says, Williams will be closer, but to talk of titles would be sheer lunacy.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 04:15 (Ref:455255)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
No one said anything about talks of titles. However, there is no need to say to the world that you cant beat Ferrari. Ferrari can be and will be beaten. They will not however be beaten by a team that accepts defeat three months before the start of the season. I believe in positive thinking. With that attitude soon Williams will be worrying about Reanult or even BAR!!
Champions only think about winning. There is no room for second. The problem is people are trying to save face. Forget that. Create the best car you can and run as hard as possible. If Ferrari does better then so be it but go out to win not to hope to challenge.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 04:43 (Ref:455270)   #7
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

IMHO Frank and Patrick should be more concerned about McLaren. The power advantage of the BMW is not going to stay that wide forever. Mercedes has a clear corporate need (and the engineering backbone) to match their Bavarian foes. I'd be surprised if Mario Illen produces another dog. That being said, all it would take is a decent Newey design and Ralf and Juan will be breathing Kimi's fumes most of the season.

The problem with Williams is the loss of key technical personnel. I'm probably the only one who believes that the Ferrari's big advantage was due to failures in the Williams chassis and the McLaren/Mercedes engine, as much as to the reliability of the red car.

How far would the difference in performance have been if the BMW had been in a Newey design?
Old 22 Dec 2002, 04:52 (Ref:455274)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gap is almost completely based on tires (thanks Mclaren). That issue has been taken care of, in theory, so next year we very well could have a new driver and team as champs.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 04:56 (Ref:455277)   #9
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
The gap is almost completely based on tires (thanks Mclaren). That issue has been taken care of, in theory, so next year we very well could have a new driver and team as champs.
Yes, I forgot about the "T" word. I wouldn't bet on Bridgestone falling behind and they seem to be doing their development mostly for the Scuderia.

However, if Michelin gets a flash of inspiration or two......
Old 22 Dec 2002, 05:53 (Ref:455288)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
No chance next year?

I also remember Frank saying in 2001 they were aiming for 'mid-field'. As F1Manoz said, they are'nt about to say they're ready after they were annihilated this year. Williams (like McLaren) will be working their butts off over the winter to close things up, but to bridge the gap and then some is unlikely, so he's probably being realistic.

But if anyone thinks Frank and Ron are content or happy playing second fiddle at the moment, your sadly mistaken.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 07:56 (Ref:455318)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari's advantage this year was a 'custom' tire. Michelin were stuck because they had vastly different demands from Williams and Mclaren and could only produce one kind of tire. Now they can make custom tires for both Mclaren and Williams. The 2003 championship will be decided in how much $$$ Michelin is willing to spend getting two teams on part with a Ferraristone
Old 22 Dec 2002, 10:32 (Ref:455360)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Now they can make custom tires for both Mclaren and Williams.
They can make a custom "tyre" each for Williams and McLaren, but as each team will only have one tyre type it doesn't leave them any scope where as Ferrari have 2 tyres made specifically for them (more scope).

Although i believe that Sir Frank does think that Williams will do better next year and is just playing his cards close to his chest, i honestly don't see how either Williams or McLaren can expect to win a championship when they have joint number 1 status with Michelin and Ferrari sole number 1 status with Bridgestone.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 12:38 (Ref:455431)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone else but TGF has written off the 2003 season too. They just haven't said so in public yet.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:18 (Ref:455518)   #14
z2252314
Racer

I hope what Frank and Gehard say to the team is different to what they say to the press. Dont get me wrong, Frank is a proven winner and Williams will reach the top again, but his attitude seems so defeatist lately. Like other have pointed out, I would have thought it would be de-motivating for team members when their own boss rules out the chance of competing for top spot.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:51 (Ref:455535)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everything that Frank says in that article is pretty much spot on IMO.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:58 (Ref:455539)   #16
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area

Any news on the statements from McLaren?.

Not to belabor the point, but Frank's description is probably accurate after the consecuive losses of Newey and Geoff.

On the other hand, Ron Dennis has always, for all his other potential shortcomings, been fair and loyal to his people (for instance Hakkinen's story) and has tried to accomodate their career hopes (Newey's new role is proof of that).

Ron seems to understand that an F1 team is a creative team effort and that a happier bunch of blokes tend to produce more. I haven't heard much from the Ronster recently. Is McLaren ready to spring a surprise on the serier for 2003?.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 16:08 (Ref:455548)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
He may be right but I would think the best way to approach anything is to win, not to come in second.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 16:42 (Ref:455572)   #18
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
It is pretty sad. I never understood that. I would always say we are going to do the best the team can do but not that we "cant" beat anyone. That attitude can bring the whole team down and slow their progress.
"Ferrari and Michael were brilliant. We need an enormous jump to catch up with them, but the strict rules don't allow a revolution, only small steps."
"We have two strong drivers in Juan Pablo Montoya and in Ralf Schumacher. But, I am honest. Michael is the biggest problem for everyone, he is extraordinary."
"We were on pole seven times this year and we won only one race. That was very frustrating."

Where is the "we can´t" statement ?
Old 22 Dec 2002, 19:51 (Ref:455680)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's very strange how he actually think that the biggest advantage Ferrari have over Williams is NOT his own car

But that said, could it be Frank trying to give Ferrari a false sense of security?

Frank is a straight forward and realistic guy. He knows where the team is lagging and he'd push for it. Things will change and improve for Williams no doubt. But he really needs to get his cars vastly improved if it is going to stay with Ferrari, or to even beat Mclaren.

its my wish to see them get closer. Williams, BMW and JPM deserve more than what they achieve last year.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 00:08 (Ref:455817)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Neilap, this is what he's saying to the press, I doubt very much he's telling his team and sponsors the same thing.

Frank does'nt blow he's own horn, he just quietly gets on with the job.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 00:30 (Ref:455828)   #21
z2252314
Racer

Quote:
It's very strange how he actually thinks that the biggest advantage Ferrari have over Williams is NOT his own car
Are you suggesting that he's sending a message to JPM and Ralf to sharpen up their game. If so, I think you may have a point.

Quote:
But, I am honest. Michael is the biggest problem for everyone, he is extraordinary."
Old 23 Dec 2002, 03:31 (Ref:455912)   #22
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If current regs allow the Ferrari to be so quick, then it is within the regs for a Williams to be so quick, they just have to go in the right direction. Hopefully, this is a bit of a red herring. If the team ends up with some early success, the teams sense of accomplishment will feel that much greater.
But they should beware of McLaren.

Which would you prefer to need the least. A better chassis, or a more powerful engine? Which is the better base to start with?
Old 23 Dec 2002, 11:22 (Ref:456036)   #23
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
Are you suggesting that he's sending a message to JPM and Ralf to sharpen up their game. If so, I think you may have a point.
Exactly - that is precisely what Frank is saying, I think. I read a story about Frank's Christmas card to Ralf - which said that he hoped that they might be able to give Michael a harder time in 2003 - in other words, no more driving around behind him... bloody well have a go for a change!.

As far as the possibility of being on-par technically with ferrari goes, he is completely right - it is very unlikely that they will be able to bridge that kind of gap in one off-season, especially considering the additional difficulty of Michael getting better all the time.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 13:36 (Ref:456123)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm. Williams can't bridge a gap within the rules that Ferrari built within the rules? I think Sir Frank is sandbagging. Although it is possible he may not be doing that I do think he is trying to light a fire under one of his driver's arse - and it is not JPM!

If the Williams is any closer to Ferrari this year, I wonder how long Schumi Lite will last if he continues to placidly follow Michael around?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 13:39 (Ref:456125)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I read a story about Frank's Christmas card to Ralf - which said that he hoped that they might be able to give Michael a harder time in 2003 - in other words, no more driving around behind him... bloody well have a go for a change!.
I wonder what Sir Frank put in JPM's christmas card?

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Although it is possible he may not be doing that I do think he is trying to light a fire under one of his driver's arse - and it is not JPM!
Agreed there John