Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 May 2021, 21:50 (Ref:4052306)   #1
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A trivia question

Having been watching some retro motorsport clips lately, a question crossed my mind:

Who was the latest the competitor in F1 to have passed away from reasons not related to racing or road accidents? (Or injuries succumbed from them)...

I have the answer, or so I believe, but would anyone fancy hazarding a guess? Forgive me if this is all a bit silly but I was curious to see how many consistent years of living drivers do we have not counting those that passed away doing what they love best. I hope I'm not being too crass or tasteless with this one.
Old 19 May 2021, 22:36 (Ref:4052313)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
A bit of a morbid question, but I guess Adrian Campos, who died this year was the last driver to compete in F1, who didn’t die in a racing or road question
Old 19 May 2021, 22:43 (Ref:4052316)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Johnny Dumfries a month or 2 back. The big C iirc.
Old 19 May 2021, 23:39 (Ref:4052320)   #4
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume the questions relates to them dying whilst they still had an active career in Formula One. You could possibly count Graham Hill, who died in late 1975. Whilst 46 at the time, he had competed in the Argentinian and Brazilian GPs earlier that year.
Old 20 May 2021, 00:30 (Ref:4052322)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That makes more sense.

Plane crash right? Was there another driver in it as well?
Old 20 May 2021, 05:41 (Ref:4052334)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
That makes more sense.

Plane crash right? Was there another driver in it as well?
Tony Brise was an active driver and died in the crash as well, but more recent than that was Carlos Pace in 1977. He died in a light plane crash, having competed at the South African GP (where Pryce died) a couple of weeks before. He was also a GP winner having won the Brazilian GP in 1975. Interlagos is now officially named in his honour, the Autódromo José Carlos Pace.
Old 20 May 2021, 07:01 (Ref:4052355)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There's Gunnar of course. He died in his prime.
Old 20 May 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4052365)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Wow. What a bizarre idea for a thread. I know it is quiet on here at the moment, but...
Old 20 May 2021, 10:29 (Ref:4052369)   #9
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Yes, apologies for the morbidity. Too much time on my hands this week...

But S Griffin got the answer I had in mind, Adrian Campos. Followed closely by Johnny Dumfries - both recent passings too.

And from the other mentioned perspective, Gunnar Nilsson's death in 1978 from cancer was the last of an active driver in the sport from health-related circumstances (and non-driving related).
Old 20 May 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4052370)   #10
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Paddy View Post
Yes, apologies for the morbidity. Too much time on my hands this week...

But S Griffin got the answer I had in mind, Adrian Campos. Followed closely by Johnny Dumfries - both recent passings too.

And from the other mentioned perspective, Gunnar Nilsson's death in 1978 from cancer was the last of an active driver in the sport from health-related circumstances (and non-driving related).
If the answer is former drivers - then the most recent (AFAIK) is the passing of Sir Leslie Marr:- competed in two successive British GPs (1954 and 1955), and passed away on 4th May.

Working back, you would also have Bobby Unser (2nd May) since Johnny Dumfries.
Old 20 May 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4052375)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If the answer is former drivers - then the most recent (AFAIK) is the passing of Sir Leslie Marr:- competed in two successive British GPs (1954 and 1955), and passed away on 4th May.

Good thinking and logic there. Cant get much more up to date than this month.
I was red herringed onto active drivers passing but overlooked Gunnar Nilsson I am embarrassed to say.
Old 20 May 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4052438)   #12
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Not quite the inflection on the question I had in mind. Adrian Campos was the most recent F1 competitor (raced last in 1988) to have died from non-driving related circumstances. Plenty of examples pre-88 of course due to age or whatever.

In Nilsson's case, he was the last driver to have passed away from non-driving related circumstances while still a competitor in the championship (1978). All other after that had retired from F1 at least.

Interesting info from your side of the coin nonetheless.