Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Sep 2001, 18:34 (Ref:141260)   #1
fentoozlerdan
Rookie

fentoozlerdan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR v. Jordan

I am a huge Jacques Villeneuve fan and I am always arguing with my mate who is a Jean Alesi fan. He seems to think that as they have the same engines, it is now a true reflection of each of the other's ability in a straight race. Of course this is not true because of the aerodynamics and the fact that the Jordan has a 7-speed 'box but the BAR only has a 6-speed one. Also, it appears that BAR haven't quite got their traction control/launch control systems up to scratch as both drivers got away slowly both times on Sunday. Someone back me up here please!

Also, anyone with MSN Messanger who likes JV, BAR, Blink-182 or just wants to chat to a 16/m/UK my MSN Messanger/hotmail address is fentoozlerdan@hotmail.com.

Dan.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 21:24 (Ref:142089)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR have trouble with the Bridgestones too.
Old 6 Sep 2001, 12:55 (Ref:142433)   #3
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to 10-10's, fentoozlerdan.

As a dedicated Villeneuve fan you must have had a rough time since he joined BAR and it doesn't look as 2001 was as big as a leap forward as it could have been.

The reason for that is that they probably as a whole aren't as organized and efficient as the Jordan squad is. On top of that they can't seem to get the package moving in the right direction. As you already pointed out mechanically and electronically there's still a lot of improvement to be done, but also aerodynamically the car is a dog. I've met Willem Toet, Bar's chief aerodynamicist, last april and as he's very funny and easy-going about his job, he couldn't reveal they messed up big-time with this years car. Not that it's the worst around, but in hindsight it could have been a lot better. It's frontwing, nose, sidepods etc were a disaster at season start. They changed the frontwing, but couldn't do much about the nose and sidepods as the monocoque is a fixed entity during the season. That's why we have seen a legion of additional flaps and pieces of bodywork scattered all over the car as bandage for the aerodynamic wounds. Still it's generating too little downforce and too much drag, it's an as they say, aerodynamically inefficient car.

BAR has been more or less lucky that Jordan has proven to be unreliable yet again and isn't a flawless car as well, so in points the differencee ain't that shocking. On the other hand on the track it is convincing enough to see that Jordan has clearly outpaced BAR.

As a Villeneuve fan you could defend by saying BAR is not that far behind the Jordan hence the BAR drivers are doing a better job than the Jordan pilotes, but hey, as a huge Trulli and Alesi fan I'd never admit that.
Old 6 Sep 2001, 23:14 (Ref:142773)   #4
snakepit27
Racer

snakepit27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan waz always the superior car
Old 7 Sep 2001, 16:52 (Ref:143199)   #5
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi fentoozlerdan.& thanks dino,that's interesting.
Yep,the jordan IS the better car.Has anyone else noticed how raged the bar looks on the limit?All this year i.ve thought'these drivers are earning thier money!