Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 7 Jul 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2722998)   #1
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great and British timetable castle combe

Why is it that two of the best supported championships are being put to the end of the the days racing?

Yes ok the Combe championships arn't part of the package but are supporting it the problems lies with the rest of the package which comparing to the Combe 3 is very poorly supported its a bloody outrage that the Combe Ffords and the saloons are the last races on both saturday and sunday the latter will be lucky to get a race with the start time 17.55!!
With both having the high 20's to early 30's on the grid the not so Great and British lucky to get to the early 20's in any of the champioships taking part..............so really speaking nothing has changed from last year.
I for one being a regular at Castle Combe is really P**ed that a package that promised so much but has yet to deliver the goods pushes the best supported races to end of each day!!!!!!

Yes i will be going as its what the Quarry hardcore do BUT we ain't happy!!
Old 7 Jul 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2723007)   #2
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barc are running the meeting goose so the combe championships will be the visiting championships in theory
Old 7 Jul 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2723013)   #3
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Intresting comments but some one has to be last.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2723026)   #4
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever heard the phrase : "keeping the best till last"? It's a sure fire way of keeping an audience there for the whole day if they know there is some guaranteed good racing on offer. The fact that it may not happen due to curfew times is irrelevant to those not in the know as they'll still stay in the hope of seeing a good race.

Marketing, it gets everywhere.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2723295)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And actually if you look at the timetable BARC have been generous in the time allowed between races, so it shouldn't be an issue. Makes sense to have local championships last in a way - the drivers don't have as far to get home before the new working week.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2723471)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be ok if their qually was just before lunch, but it's not...
Old 8 Jul 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2723480)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know, I was probably being slightly facetious on the latter point... First one stands though!
Old 8 Jul 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2723756)   #8
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
It hardly seems fair to have well support championships as the last races considering all the G and B get 3 races across the weekend[and none of which can muster a full grid] the combe lot get one,i could understand it if they had 2 races.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2723911)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

But the key point is that those championships are guests on a BARC organised and promoted meeting, so it is the BARC championships that are going to get the plum timetable slots.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2728174)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to this meeting this morning, it's pretty clear that the Great & British package needs a complete overhaul. It really is a recipe of how to put people off motorsport. Not good, especially when Radicals are the most interesting race.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2728289)   #11
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Having been to this meeting this morning, it's pretty clear that the Great & British package needs a complete overhaul. It really is a recipe of how to put people off motorsport. Not good, especially when Radicals are the most interesting race.
I agree Dan FFS Barc/Dunlop why oh why are you allowing races with just 6 cars [young guns] 8 csl Bmw's [although half the field is also in the inviatation class] even the sport max has ONLY 13 cars its hardly anything to shout about and to give em all 20 mins races is just bloo** crazy.

And they all have 3 races zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The last meeting at combe which was organised by the circuit was far far better bigger grids closer racing and to have 2 of the Combe 3 last races at the G and B just takes the p**s i don't care if they're not on the package the combe 3 provided just as many entrys as the whole package itself so i think thats saying something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One championship saved this meeting 'radical' is the word!!

I thought i'd never say that!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2728381)   #12
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant even begin to imagine how dull the day must have been for the radicals to be the highlight. Great and British is a total embarrasment in my opinion.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2728403)   #13
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascona i2000 View Post
I cant even begin to imagine how dull the day must have been for the radicals to be the highlight. Great and British is a total embarrasment in my opinion.
You have forgotten the mini severns and migs then because the racing is first class
Old 18 Jul 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2728425)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Morris View Post
You have forgotten the mini severns and migs then because the racing is first class
They were Sunday only!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2728640)   #15
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Morris View Post
Yes they were superb

Right today Good races Radicals all the mini races Sport Max ok ish

CSL And young guns were totally pants i CANNOT see the bloody point of giving either of 3 20 min races The Csl was bad last year it would have more of a farce if the invitation wasn't there cause there would have been only 4 cars!!

Dump em both bring on something worth watching!!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2728775)   #16
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great & British - truly dire, shameful!!!!

Bladders.......
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2728936)   #17
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
Great & British - truly dire, shameful!!!!

Bladders.......
That may well the reason why there was a distinct lack of marshals.............so Barc and Dunlop if theres a struggle isn't it time to bring some depth into this package the worse it gets amd the lack of support may lead to the cancellation of a meeting...................is that what you want??
Old 21 Jul 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2730287)   #18
Craig Currie
Rookie

Craig Currie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having raced in both the dunlop sport max and the radicals at the weekend i can say i had some pretty good races although i do agree that BARC needs to do something with the Sport max grid, i was in the yellow nissan 370z and had some good battles throughout but the depth of the field is just not there.Radicals was amazing only my second time in them, the grids are full and that part of the paddock is buzzing.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 08:01 (Ref:2730494)   #19
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Currie View Post
Having raced in both the dunlop sport max and the radicals at the weekend i can say i had some pretty good races although i do agree that BARC needs to do something with the Sport max grid, i was in the yellow nissan 370z and had some good battles throughout but the depth of the field is just not there.Radicals was amazing only my second time in them, the grids are full and that part of the paddock is buzzing.
I can't say i've been a Radical fan Craig but have to admit apart from the Combe three they were one of the highlights,But theres to many LOWS 6 races [young guns,csl] why oh why barc allow it to continue is beyond me.As you say the Sport maxx need looking at ok better grids than the two above its still bloody poor tho which is a shame another 7 cars on the grid would make it worthwhile....................i take it you wern't the driver who ended up on top of the barrier at Camp?
Old 12 Aug 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2743445)   #20
Michael24
Rookie

Netherlands
Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Michael24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The view from Holland

I was there the 18th (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldrost/sets/72157624704332334/).

Every year I come to England for my holidays and family visits. Every year I pick a motorsport event within reasonable driving distance of where I'm staying. I've been to the Silverstone Classic in 2008, been to the Castle Combe BRSCC weekend last year and this year it was the BARC Great & British event. The appeal for me was mostly in the fact that it was club and national level motorsport at a track that has a fantastic club level appeal.

Being a data engineer at Club and National level in the Netherlands (DNRT), I think I'm in a position to make some comparisons, between how things are done in Holland and how things are done in the UK.

First of all, I had to pay to get in. That doesn't happen at Dutch Club races, because we don't really get any spectators ... at all .... So there's no point in asking anyone to contribute in any shape or form. But I don't mind paying. I think of it as putting something directly into the sport. I also did't mind the price.

Then there's the food: in Holland I usually stuff myself from our own catering supply, but then there are no alternatives. CPZ (people who own and run Zandvoort circuit) will sometimes open a stall, but that's just canned food being reheated. At Combe I had some delicious (if unhealthy) food that put a smile on my face. I had a steak sandwich! With brown sauce! I had another one with lamb. I had beef burger with bacon. Good coffee too! Thumbs up for Combe!

The atmosphere in the paddock is equally open and enjoyable, compared to the Dutch DNRT (Club). The Dutch National Series isn't that friendly. That's mostly down to the type of guests most participating teams have hanging around in their closed off hospitality units. Combe wasn't like that and the Silverstone Classic wasn't either. Just a whole bunch of people, in love with the game, enjoying themselves.

But, to stay on topic, in Holland, when fields are small (<15 cars), we lump them in together (if cars and speeds are reasonably close). I understand that for the single seaters that wasn't an option. However, the CSL cup had so few participants, it felt like a waste of valuable time. Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's and the CSL cup was something I really wanted to see, but 7 cars (not even all CSL's) was just bad. I do believe more fields should have been thrown in together, but apparently there are other more important factors at play here.

All in all: yes, some things could do with an improvement, but overall I have to say I enjoyed myself and that is why I went there in the first place. If I'm in the neighbourhood next year, I pretty sure I'll make another visit. Might even offer my services for nothing before hand, since I've got a portable datalogger!

Have to admit, I would really like our racers to do an event in the UK and Combe would be an outstanding candidate. There so much I like about the track and we've got a 40+ cars BMW E30 cup (all unmodified 325i's). We've got Legends, Sakers, big Nascar style v8's, hot hatches .. you name it. That ought to be a lot of fun!

Michael
Old 12 Aug 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2743653)   #21
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer View Post

Dump em both bring on something worth watching!!
Stock hatch!!