Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:18 (Ref:697292)   #1
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have renault made the wrong engine decision?

I wonder if renault have made the right choice to drop the wide angle engine next year?
One has to assume that the wide angle and low COG help the handling but they obviously think that the problems getting huge power out of it not worth it.....?
It would be sad to see them losing the great handling next year.

Oh,if you've read that the next engine will be based on one they used in '99 or somesuch it's rubbish-some of these brit jounalists need to think just a little bit before writing
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:31 (Ref:697312)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seems atop all this that renault has so much to offer as it it, the engine is coming along quite well at wide angles and the chassis is shining- if a car is to get race car of the year i'd give it to renault...the engine well, if it isn't broke don't fix it
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:697363)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've lost Mike Gascoyne - they need all the aero help they can get.

This 110 degree business is beginning to pay off, but it's reliability and top end power they need - that's going to require patience, something an F1 team doesn't have.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:06 (Ref:697381)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gascoyne gone from Renault?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:22 (Ref:697408)   #5
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read a quote in Auto Bild motorsport from the last race where someone asked Briatore about the rumours of Gascoyne moving to Toyota. The answer?

"Gascoyne who?"
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:06 (Ref:697521)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its smart that they are changing the motor. That is their major weakness. I am sure they have explored every option available to them and have decided that the motor has to go. If they can build a top motor and keep the chassis the way it is now or even close, they can be a contender next year.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:07 (Ref:697568)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is, a lot of people say they have a chassis advantage. Wrong - the advantages of the engine are in weight distribution and power delivery, whcih can look like chassis advantages.

There's nothing to say that a more conventional engine will work and better, and they could lose thevery advantages that saw them win Hungary and challenge elsewhere.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:47 (Ref:697610)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well just as you speculate we all do. I am sure its a combination of factors. If they lose a little to gain a lot then no one will miss their wide angle v10
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:52 (Ref:697613)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I remember reading that the main reason was for reliability purposes and the new one engine per weekend rule.

Though it'd be funnier if Flavio was just playing a trick on everyone and that Renault actually keep the radical engine.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:17 (Ref:698146)   #10
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know too much about the different abilities of cylinder configurations, but I wonder if 800bhp could be got from a 3L 10 cylinder boxer engine? Now that would be a very impressive centre of gravity! I wonder if the regs allow it - 180 degree V10?!!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 14:32 (Ref:698308)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault definitely haven't lost gascoyne!
Not yet anyway.
This another of those immensely irritating 'news reports' that exist simply because some moron starts a rumour and other idiot reporters perpetuate it.No matter what mike or flav say is ignored or not believed-they can't win.

Back to the engine...i wonder if flabio IS fooling us on the choice of engine!LOL

Oh Eein,boxer engines are allowed but they would have to lift the engine up to fit the exausts underneath-which would kill any COG benifits .They can't have the intake and exaust both inside the 'V' because a crossflow design is definitely the best for gas flows.There is one very interesting option...
75 degrees is a natural ballance point for V10,s but most go for 90 degrees for lower COG/bearable vibration compromise.The renault 108(?)degree engine is just a further step in that direction(more vibes,lower COG)
There is another natural ballance point at about 140 degrees ...That one sounds like a viable option for an ultimate engine.

Sorry boots but i think you are only partly right.When this type first came out it handled like a wheelbarrow full of walrusses,the low COG helped little if at all.It was only when they had their first aero evolution that the car made steps to what it is today(rem spa where fisi got 2nd?)
Old 25 Aug 2003, 14:47 (Ref:698328)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Renault case shows that single features of a part of the car are not the real problem: the whole package must be considered.
Thus questions about the right engine angle is not that relevant.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 19:29 (Ref:698570)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eein
180 degree V10?!!
Wouldn't be much of a V shape, would be flat!__
Old 25 Aug 2003, 19:39 (Ref:698582)   #14
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks RWC, I'd been wondering for ages why there are so few boxer racing engines.