Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 May 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2202892)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
your ideal round format?

continuing on from the discusion in the Sandown thread how would you like the round for mats to be laid out?

this is how i would like it (dates not included):
Clipsal (2x 250km)
Eastern Creek (3x 150km)
AGP (3x 150 or however many km's they usually do there)
Hamilton (1x 120km & 1x 300km)
Barbagallo (3x 150km)
Sandown (1x 120km & 1x 300km)
Hidden Valley (3x 150)
Queensland Raceway (2x 250)
Winton (3x 150km)
Phillip Island (1x 500km)
Bathurst (1x 1000km)
Indy (3x 150km or however many they usually do there)
Bahrain (1x 150km & 1x 300km)
Symons Plains (3x 150)
Homebush (2x 250)
Old 15 May 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2203587)   #2
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say I agree with that. More variety is needed, and more enduros.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 May 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2203603)   #3
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
GreaseMonkey99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any round that has more then one 4 second pit stop per race.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2203624)   #4
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make all the current sprint rounds have a 400-500km minimum distance over the weekend, with 3 race minimum.

Going off the thread, limit them to only one rattle gun for a two tyre stop and two for a four tyre. Plus take 30 litres out of the fuel tanks. That should get rid of 4 second pit stops and get some fuel strategy back into the game.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2203626)   #5
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
continuing on from the discusion in the Sandown thread how would you like the round for mats to be laid out?

this is how i would like it (dates not included):
Clipsal (2x 250km)
Eastern Creek (3x 150km)
AGP (3x 150 or however many km's they usually do there)
Hamilton (1x 120km & 1x 300km)
Barbagallo (3x 150km)
Sandown (1x 120km & 1x 300km)
Hidden Valley (3x 150)
Queensland Raceway (2x 250)
Winton (3x 150km)
Phillip Island (1x 500km)
Bathurst (1x 1000km)
Indy (3x 150km or however many they usually do there)
Bahrain (1x 150km & 1x 300km)
Symons Plains (3x 150)
Homebush (2x 250)
Agree, but with 2 choice's of tyre, soft/hard and pit whenever they like. this would allow teams to choose how they run the race. some may go hard/full tanks/one stop others may want soft/ half/2 stops. there are so many ways the teams could run it.
Old 16 May 2008, 02:44 (Ref:2203643)   #6
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
GreaseMonkey99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Make all the current sprint rounds have a 400-500km minimum distance over the weekend, with 3 race minimum.

Going off the thread, limit them to only one rattle gun for a two tyre stop and two for a four tyre. Plus take 30 litres out of the fuel tanks. That should get rid of 4 second pit stops and get some fuel strategy back into the game.
Smaller Fuel tanks for sure! A bit of fuel strategy would make for a lot more interesting racing.
Old 16 May 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2203649)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single race per round of 300km or so, no compulsory stops, just pit when you have to.

One race, One winner, nice & simple (and works for most other series)
Old 16 May 2008, 03:34 (Ref:2203650)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see a 100km race on the Saturday, and a 300km race on the Sunday at every round. This is a standard for all rounds.

An exception to this will be the Clipsal 500, the Bathurst warm-up 500, and the Bathurst 1000.

I do not agree with smaller fuel tanks - but why the control tyre? The only thing you need to control is that the tyre is $5,000 cost to the team regardless of who makes it. Don't the teams pay a set price per tyre for the current control tyre? or are they free?
Old 16 May 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2203654)   #9
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Single race per round of 300km or so, no compulsory stops, just pit when you have to.

One race, One winner, nice & simple (and works for most other series)
Would work here, but since the paying spectator has been nannied into going to a race weekend and seeing 3 races and having 'value for money' on track activity from the main game and otehr categories, that would never happen. Let go back a couple years ago where they did that, and what happened??

If you're going to do one race, I'd say up the distance to 400 or up to 500km's depending on the track and go from there. I wouldn't complain with that amount of racing.

Last edited by Denosaur; 16 May 2008 at 03:46.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:43 (Ref:2203668)   #10
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PI with it's qualifying races for each driver, and if we could ad in smaller tanks for the rest, and a choice of tyres (soft and hard) at the teams disposal and choice for the weekend, that might actually turn into better RACING....
Old 16 May 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2203710)   #11
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short races + GT cars just don't work (IMHO)

for example, take a 1 hour race, every car can do this on fuel and tyres, no reason to stop for anything, so it becomes a sprint race were the outright fastest car/driver will win

move that to a 2 hour race, every car will have to stop at least once, how long for depends on how much fuel they have to take on (and yes, run to FIA fuel tank limits ie. 100L max and have a 50L per stop limit)

I also think that one driver format is expencive and boring, having a pro/Am driver paring with say 1/3-2/3 minimum seat time always adds something (as well as giving the oppotunity to spead costs).

when you get to the longer races, NO Mandatory stops, just use the same seat time rules, otherwise the smaller more economical cars are sidlined by having to stop when they really don't want to, effectivly taking them out of the running.

Tyres should be free, but limited on numbers per weekend, (so going for the soft option may not work if you eat them up before the race is finnished).

assides all of that, if your going to stick with GT3, then do the right thing and apply equalisation to the cars (something everybody seems incapable of doing and yet is the make or break of the GT3 concept).

PS. like the idea of a pair of qualifing sprints for grid slot's... with the average time of the two being the qualiy time...

Last edited by Simon S; 16 May 2008 at 07:25.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2203747)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S
Short races + GT cars just don't work (IMHO)
Very true. If only the powers that be could get there stuff together. Longer formats have proven popular with competitors. However I reckon formats are the least of their problems right now.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2205193)   #13
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
I would love to see a 100km race on the Saturday, and a 300km race on the Sunday at every round. This is a standard for all rounds.

An exception to this will be the Clipsal 500, the Bathurst warm-up 500, and the Bathurst 1000.
That'd do me too.

Means for example that Sandown would be 39 laps on Sunday (120km)
and a 78 lapper on Monday (240km)

Not sure what the fuel burn is for Sandown but I'm pretty sure an angry V8 would do about 180km on a tank. Means that in the Monday race, there would have to be a fuelstop, not the contrived compulsory tripe we have now...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 18 May 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2205297)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just wish all series organisers would lose the obsession with pit stops. As a strategy option in an Endurance race they add interest and give options. In a short race they add confusion, danger and unnecesary penalties. If you can't get enough fuel in for the race or make the tyres last to the end, stop, if you can, keep going. Then to stop people pitting for the sake of it, one tyre changer and gravity fed fuel so it takes a realistic length of time (heck, since these are touring cars the driver should have to get a coffee, a sandwich and visit the toilet as well!) Seriously, make it so that you'd rather not pit unless you have to. Otherwise, I think the opening post is not a bad summary assuming you agree with all the track choices. But that's another thread...
Old 18 May 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2205302)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ive never undesrstood the negativity against CPS. so what if its forced, i want to see pitstops, i dont careif its forced or not, but i enjoy seeing them.

At bathurst i sit opposite the pits because i love the strategy envolved.

i love to watch the boys changing tyres and see the difference between 4 sec stops and 5 sec stops and i love that it creates an opportunity for something to go wrong.

Would i prefer to see stops happen because they are required. yes i would. But i also enjoy the start of the race, i reckon that is probably the most exciting part of the race (the part that gets the butterflys in the stomach movin) and if i get to see that three times then that is good too.

So i reckon 60ish minute races with a CPS is pretty good.

But i do like longer races also. so i would like a bit of variance