Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2001, 14:11 (Ref:100496)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many British drivers are in F1

There are not much British drivers anymore in F1. DC, Irvine and Jenson.

A few years ago there were much more British drivers like Damon, Herbert, Mansel, DC and Irvine almost in the same years.

so what is going to happen no more British drivers in F1 in a few years?
Attached Images

Old 3 Jun 2001, 14:37 (Ref:100506)   #2
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't wish to start a political rouw here...but Irvine drove his first race as Irish but it was later ruled by the FIA that he was British. When he was at Ferrari he wore a helmet which a white shamrock on the back...and the Shamrock is a very Irish symbol.
Like I say..don't want to start a rouw I'm simply suggesting that Irvine is more Irish at heart than British.

Last edited by Maximum F1; 3 Jun 2001 at 14:45.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 15:33 (Ref:100568)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's nothern irish catholic I THINK, so whilst he would LOVE to call himself irish, he can't.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 19:55 (Ref:100702)   #4
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was born in Ireland...therefore he can call himself Irish.

If there aren't any British drivers coming through the ranks it isn't because there isn't any talent coming through, it's the state of British motorsport - it's far too elitist and expensive...
Old 3 Jun 2001, 21:30 (Ref:100727)   #5
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be a sad day if there were no British drivers in F1, however I can't see it happening soon. Jenson has quite a few years left in him yet, and people like Justin Wilson on the way up to carry the Union Flag.
Anyway, there'll be more Brits in F1 next year, with McNish taking the Toyota drive (Hopefully!). There'll always be Brits coming through, British F3 is the strongest national junior formula around. I'd like to see more Brits in F3000 though.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 21:46 (Ref:100733)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great picture Renaultbelt !! Did you do it ???

I don't think British drivers are vanishing in F1. Take a reference in what you think is promising at F3000 and lower formulas...

The same goes to brazilian drivers... and hey, it's a big responsability to keep it up. And look what we have !
Old 3 Jun 2001, 23:09 (Ref:100763)   #7
Faster
Racer

Faster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny thing is that the british drivers that are normally rated between the best five of all times are scottish: Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. Though the drivers borned in England had earned seven world titles, they were far away from being the best of their eras. Let's see:

0) Stirling Moss - wonderful driver, but never was champion
1) Mike Hawthorn - for sure, the worst among the champions in the 50's
2) Graham Hill - brilliant driver, but not a natural talent. Nevertheless, worked out his career very well, earning every opportunity that was given to him.
3) John Surtees - Was one of the two champions with less points than the vice-champion, and that tells it all.
4) James Hunt - Known as "The Shunt", that tells it all.
5) Nigel Mansell - one of the greatest showmen ever in F1 or CART series, but lost more titles than actually won them (86 and 91 were his, and he screwed it).
6) Damon Hill - same as his father, but much less talented.

I'm not saying here that English drivers are bad, but a true GREAT (with capitals) english driver is yet to come. Same thing doesn't happen to the scottish: Clark was probably the fastest driver ever existed (Monza 67 was the best example) and Stewart was one of the greatest genius ever (and a true gentleman, rare thing nowadays). They are in 90% of the list of the top-five F1 drivers ever, together with Fangio, Prost and Senna.

And, IMO, I can see no one in the upcoming names (Button, Wilson, Manning, etc) with a glimpse of geniality...
Old 3 Jun 2001, 23:35 (Ref:100772)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice topic Faster !!!

Are you waiting for the flames ???

BTW you are a programmer Huhn ??

(PS: I guess you rated Moss a little low; "wonderful", and you mention Clark just outside the great ones, when I think he shoud be the first.)

My humble opionion
Old 4 Jun 2001, 00:13 (Ref:100796)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In my mind, its part of a natural statistical variation. Recall that during the late 70's into the 80's, there was suddenly a wealth of French drivers, (though still only one achieved the WDC). This was largely the result of Elf and Renault pouring huge sums of money into junior formulae. In the late 80's, it was the turn of Italian drivers. The late 90's has seen the rise of German Drivers. Consider the sizes of Germany and France and Italy and account for the time that it took both of these nations to produce WDC winning drivers as England had 4, Scotland 2 and even the Antipodes 3.

Britain has had a disproportionately large percentage of the drivers in F1 for 30 years. Its natural that things change.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 00:46 (Ref:100811)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

EERO, this is an ugly scenario...

What could we expect afterthat ?
Old 4 Jun 2001, 00:47 (Ref:100813)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

anyway, don't take me seriously... I'm not Amoffat !
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:07 (Ref:100823)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
EERO, this is an ugly scenario...

What could we expect afterthat ?
I predict that the next wave of drivers will be from Kurdistan.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:31 (Ref:100830)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

I predict that the next wave of drivers will be from Kurdistan.
Yeah!! They are great at driving goats.

And Faster, we need you to cheer for the Aussis in the Rugby Tests aginst the Pommes, who are not great fans of yours from what I can see of your post.

AMoffat and WREX, we have a potential honorary Aussi here in this guy.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:52 (Ref:100835)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I thought that Nigel Mansell had a modicum of talent...Don't you!
Old 4 Jun 2001, 01:56 (Ref:100837)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe that the Brits are beginning to suffer what we Aussies have always suffered. The expensive motorsport syndrome. Aussies have the talent to be good f1 drivers, they just don't get the backing that Sth Americans, Italians, Germans, and even Spaniards get. (Recent examples of this include Ambrose (quicker than Button and Raikkonen in junior formulae), Ingall and (in CART) Jason Bright). Money makes the (f1) world go round, and with more and more sponsorship money coming from the aforementioned places, and more from Britain leaving, it is fact that there will be less British drivers. And with f1 still expanding worldwide, this will continue. There are a couple of factors that will keep Brits in f1. 1) They aren't a million miles from the f1 circus - they are in the middle of it. 2) There are still a few British teams (Williams, Jordan, Jag and Arrows) that will always be on the lookout for Pommie talent. A good example of this is Williams' hiring of wonderboy Jenson, despite the fact that Junqueira and Zanardi were just as quick or slightly quicker.

PS. The Wallabies are gonna thump the Lions.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 08:27 (Ref:100922)   #16
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
PS. The Wallabies are gonna thump the Lions.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 08:42 (Ref:100926)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yeah, and we're gonna keep the Ashes a little while longer too.