Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Aug 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2276282)   #1
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Phillip Island Virgins

Not the grid girls.

Us!!!

The Punters are headed for the Island this year. We have a house booked in Cowes but would be grateful for a heads up on viewing spots and any general tips.

We've got general admission but I notice on the web that you can't take any of your own booze in.

There is a shuttle that runs to the Circuit from Cowes for $14 but does anyone know which gate it lobs at?

Can you walk right around?

And I guess we wear every bit of warm clothes we own. September on the Island could make Bathurst look like the Bahamas....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 27 Aug 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2276599)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have a car, you can drive in and park up down towards turn 1, where if you get early you can get a go position and see the cars coming down the main straight, turns 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7, before they disappear behind the paddock and then see them again once they get to the top of Lukey. From there the pits will obscure some of the view around 11 and 12.

Apart from the main straight you can drive around and park around various parts of the circuits, but if you don't have a car, have a good pair of shoes and don't let the PI mud get on your the bottom of your pants as it doesn't come out easy. Just ask any of the Flaggie's about PI mud. Don't know if there is going to be a shuttle bus running around the circuit.

They only have a couple of big screens down there, but don't know what the plan is this for those and where they'll be. Watch some of the action last year next to the flag point on the exit of turn 12, could see the big screen at pit exit, but could only view what was going on in the turn 10,11 and 12 complex and then go back to the big screen.

Shuttle bus will probably drop off at the main gate from Cowes.

So pack the winter woolies, good shoes, the best jackets you have and extra clothes in case you get wet. Other than that I hope the weather is good for you and you have a good weekend.

Last edited by Denosaur; 27 Aug 2008 at 23:14.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 04:59 (Ref:2276692)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Aug 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2276767)   #4
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phillip Island Virgins, ummm, that was me from 1962 until, oh about 1972/3 - LOL
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2276770)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
have a good pair of shoes and don't let the PI mud get on your the bottom of your pants as it doesn't come out easy. Just ask any of the Flaggie's about PI mud.
+1 on the PI mud.

Hey Trev I wonder if your name is still engraved on that kerb in Cowes you showed me a few years ago when your brother put your name there in the 60's (well he tells me it was his brother who did it anyway).
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2276771)   #6
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
It was 3 weeks ago when I was down there for a special event
Old 28 Aug 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2277161)   #7
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
+1 on the PI mud.
Thought I better mention the mud. There has been a bit, well actually a hell of a lot, of rain recently down there. So some parts around the track and the paddock/spectator area's might be a bit soft.

Down there, if it's not the mud then it's the dust, wind or rain. If your lucky enough you can experience all in the same day. But all that aside, it's a great track!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2277188)   #8
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Bathurst 2000 anyone?

I can still remember standing to buy a hotdog in mud up to my shins...
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:38 (Ref:2277195)   #9
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Bathurst 2000 anyone?

I camped in the paddock that year...absolute hell! Could not get enough of that free bark they were handing out..

I am also a PI virgin this year. Really looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be a bit of a culture shock for a Gold Coaster though! Will have the gumboots and thermals on stand-by. Staying pretty close to the track which is a big bonus.

Bring it on!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2277196)   #10
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst 2000 I was there! Ankle deep on pit straight as we cheered the start! I took my Dad for his first Bathurst experience (he hasn't gone back). I got home and threw the tent out, there was no other option really.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 03:14 (Ref:2277226)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
We camped in the caravan park in Bathrust that year, bloody hell
Old 1 Sep 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2279176)   #12
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey average, remember Barry Sheen's description of the Island.
While we're on the subject of memories...Bathurst 84, drank everything we had by 2.00 am Saturday morning, wandered around the top of the mountain trying to bludge a drink and had to resort to drinking Stones Green Ginger wine (hey, it was free) till we were resupplied at 5.00 am. Ahhh the taste of Southern Comfort and Coke at that time was extra special in view of what we had sunk too, then we were cooking eggs in cut open beer cans in the fire while it snowed...Brilliant times.
Bought a Bluebird TRX soon after, man was I disappointed!!!
Old 1 Sep 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2279179)   #13
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Bought a Bluebird TRX soon after, man was I disappointed!!!
Yeah, a mate had one as a company car. Good thing he could give it back and the end of the lease.

Hey David, you're no Phillip Island virgin, I seem to remember you having a bit of a bang there at the Historics.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2280753)   #14
panel damage
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
panel damage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the heading - given All the girls I've ever seen and met at Phillip Island ( and for that matter anywhere else in victoria) I knew the heading had to be wrong.

Phillip Island Virgins - dont exist - a bit like the term Police Intelligence - never met an intelligent one yet.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2280777)   #15
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA

Hey David, you're no Phillip Island virgin, I seem to remember you having a bit of a bang there at the Historics.
Thanks for reminding me, my wallet is still undergoing counselling from the trauma . Spectacular place to race and while I was imobilised I took a walk around to the flaggies near my incident at turns 1 and 2, what a fantsatic view over towards Siberia.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2280780)   #16
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Bathurst 2000 anyone?

The year that i got sun burn in the morning, then got hailed on after watching a foot of water rolling over the wall and down mountain straight and then got sun burnt again in the afternoon.

At the time i was driving a Clubsport and it got bogged between two caravans parked behind the pits. Had to wait till the next day before we got it out.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2281268)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mate, your sounding like a POM! It's the height of summer here, 12degC today and hasn't stopped raining since May. Melbourne's positively tropical in comparison.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 04:10 (Ref:2281353)   #18
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Mate, your sounding like a POM! It's the height of summer here, 12degC today and hasn't stopped raining since May. Melbourne's positively tropical in comparison.
Melbourne might be like that, but once you get on that Island it's totally different. It can be dry in Melbourne, but bucketing down on the Island.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2281368)   #19
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Siberia isnt called Siberia for no reason... the wind comes straight in off the ocean, and there isn't anything between PI and Antarctica

Last edited by bludvl_x19; 4 Sep 2008 at 05:22.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 06:09 (Ref:2281373)   #20
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19
Siberia isnt called Siberia for no reason... the wind comes straight in off the ocean, and there isn't anything between PI and Antarctica
You forgot Tassie didn't you??
But mind you regardless if Tassie was there or not, it's still bloody cold.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2281386)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tasmania isn't much of a wind break if the gale is ripping in from the south west!
Old 4 Sep 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2281411)   #22
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading all of these stories about the Island, I'm very nervous to say the least! Been keeping an eye on the local weather and it's not looking good.. But after tenting it at the Mount in 2000, I should be miles in front...I will be in a house
Old 5 Sep 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2282185)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
Tasmania isn't much of a wind break if the gale is ripping in from the south west!
anyone need a map???

A must is the Isle of Wight Pub in Cowes...be there or be square