Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2002, 02:12 (Ref:233965)   #1
everett brown
Rookie

everett brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie Irvine's a bad cat

I have never driven a F1 car but i watch the drivers on the circuit and I must say about Irvine that he is not only very quick on a lap by lap basis but he has race savy and is good at testing. A spoiled brat? I think not. More a fox that deserves alot more than Jaguar/Ford have given him and de la Rosa. At this point it wouled be in Jaguars favor to close down the shop doors and get back to the drawing board and produce a alll new hot rod. And whats up with the latest Cosworth V-10, producing a down on HP engine? Get it together Super Rat or pack it up and HIT the road!
Old 13 Mar 2002, 10:21 (Ref:234104)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Irvine is a consistent reasonably quick driver. Certainly not a Schumacher, Hakkinen or Montoya although a great number 2 to all. If I was a team boss I would consider Irvine, but I think that there would be at least half a dozen current drivers I would choose above him (and that's without considering the size of his wage packet).

Unfortunately I have never been his race engineer, but I have my doubts about his testing ability. When Schumacher broke his leg in 1999 the Ferrari's performance went downhill. This does introduce question marks over his ability to set-up a car (at least). OK Ferrari may have lost it's way a bit with the loss of the team's main driver, but the car didn't suddenly become that bad. Besides Irvine should have been at the forefront of keeping the team interested in the championship.

Finally Irvine's testing ability has hardly shown itself at Jaguar! The car gets worse!

As for Jaguar, I think they should shut up shop and go back to sportscar where they belong. They can take Irvine with them. He was OK at Le Mans, apart from when he removed privateer Ferrari's from the race.
Old 13 Mar 2002, 12:36 (Ref:234187)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure, Irvine can be quick on his day, but he's still an idiot, loves the sound of his voice too much and is paid way too much money when Jaguar could bring in another young charger, who's would be much cheaper and would not keep looking for publicity because his results aren't up to scratch (compared to inflated ego and sense of self.)
Old 13 Mar 2002, 12:45 (Ref:234192)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with Adam.

Irvine is a bad tester, but a #2 good enough... well he even said that, uhn ?
Old 13 Mar 2002, 13:06 (Ref:234207)   #5
nreed
Rookie

nreed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
irvines a fast driver and a perfecy #2 as he adds to any teams media coverage, etc.... but he's overpaid and getting old. I like eddie and always have but...he's gowing down instead of up.
Old 13 Mar 2002, 15:17 (Ref:234281)   #6
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think Irvine is better than a lot of the drivers in the cars above him, at least he's not afraid to overtake
(Coultard and Bernoldi in Monaco!!)
Old 13 Mar 2002, 22:44 (Ref:234613)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by billyblister
Well I think Irvine is better than a lot of the drivers in the cars above him, at least he's not afraid to overtake
(Coultard and Bernoldi in Monaco!!)
Lest you forget, Coulthard v. Schumacher - Magny Cours '00
Coulthard v. Schumacher - Brazil '01 among others. As for Irvine, the best thing that ever happened to him was Schumacher breaking his leg, the Ferrari flattered him. The only reason he even came close to challenging for the WDC was because Hakkinen kept letting him back in.
The worst thing to ever happen to Jaguar, among the many things, was for Schumacher to break his leg. The big Wigs at Ford couldn't or didn't realize that Irvine's success was due mainly to the Ferrari. IMO!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Mar 2002, 23:06 (Ref:234629)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The worst things to happen to Jaguar were:
[*]Entering F1[*]Signing Eddie Irvine

People may should me down for this, but hey... I don't see what people see in Eddie as a driver. He has never shone throughout his career. I may be a little biased as I personally don't like him. He opens his big gob far too much when he should be concentrating on his driving..

This is only my opinion. I'm not trying to startt any fights!
Old 13 Mar 2002, 23:34 (Ref:234646)   #9
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
jaguar......the next prost

eddie knows........
Old 14 Mar 2002, 00:58 (Ref:234669)   #10
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you guys (and gals) are being a bit too harsh on ol Irv. I happen to like Eddie - sure he does have a big mouth but like the King would say "He hates everyone equally"!

I think we need people like Eddie around - sure he can be a bit of a pain - but the guy knows his stuff. He will never be another Michael Schumacher or Mika Hakkinen but he can hang with every other driver on the grid today - no doubt about it.

Just because he drives for the disaster that is Jaguar doesent mean Irvine is finished. He can still go with the best of them - just give him a decent car.

Last edited by Mania; 14 Mar 2002 at 00:59.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 01:44 (Ref:234686)   #11
everett brown
Rookie

at least Irvine isnt afraid to speak is mind, something i find refreshing in todays times. i remember a British driver that couled **** off the pope as well as the best sports car drivers in the world, i am speaking of Ken Miles.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 01:55 (Ref:234689)   #12
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine is the highest paid employee of Ford, and the new chairman is very aware of that fact. I'm worried he will pull the plug on F1, given the dismal state of the team.

However, that Ford has announced they will build the embarrassing GT 40 replicar demonstrates how desperate they are to have a"halo" automobile, and perhaps the F1 team is another kind of halo.

In any event, Irvine has demonstrated conclusively that that he is a pretty good driver and a disastrous testing/setup man. He's also getting old.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 03:13 (Ref:234725)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc

In any event, Irvine has demonstrated conclusively that that he is a pretty good driver and a disastrous testing/setup man. He's also getting old.
Hey, whippersnapper!!!! He's younger than me!!!!!

Honestly, Times up, and I doubt he'll be RACING, let alone in F1 next year. Unless Ferrari decide to can Barrichello and ask Eddie if he'd like a reprise.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 03:22 (Ref:234731)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie back in a Ferrari ?

Now you`re talkin!

But with the likes of Montoya and Massa around - it'll be tough to get him back at Maranello. Damn sad.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 03:46 (Ref:234742)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
The worst things to happen to Jaguar were:
[*]Entering F1[*]Signing Eddie Irvine

Aparently Jaguar's antics have created a loy of publicity and increased sales worldwide for the company. However, results must be forthcoming sonn, or hte publicity will turn negative.
Jaguar should take a leaf out of Renault's book, because Renault was in the doldrums last year and literally picked themselves up from last place at the beginning of the year.
Personally, I think that Jaguar needs a very careful look at their organisation, understand what teamwork means, and re-engineer the team. Feed off the poor performance of the current car to instill some character in the team. Whoever can't muck in when things are going bad should be shown the door now. Jaguar is a great name in motorsport, having dominated at Le Mans for awhile. Yeah!! read Eddie the riot act; tell him there are a lot of young drivers with money who want to get into a works team, and they could do with a replacement if the team doesn't suit him.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 04:22 (Ref:234752)   #16
everett brown
Rookie

Again, shut down the shop doors, go to the drawing board and design a decent car, get rid of lauda, he doesnt know how to RUN a proper team, swallow some pride and hire Judd to build the engines, pick up the Goodyear tire contract for 03. that will be a start, along with two new young guns? i think so.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 09:53 (Ref:234864)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by everett brown
get rid of lauda, he doesnt know how to RUN a proper team
That's OK, he's running Jaguar.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 10:16 (Ref:234876)   #18
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think eddie himself knows that his days at lauduar,sorry, jaguar are numbered. i dont see jaguar paying him the money that he is currently on considering that his performances of late have been nothing more than mediocre.and i somehow dont see him swallowing his pride and going to another midfield team for less money
Old 14 Mar 2002, 12:08 (Ref:234934)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by everett brown
Again, shut down the shop doors, go to the drawing board and design a decent car, get rid of lauda, he doesnt know how to RUN a proper team, swallow some pride and hire Judd to build the engines, pick up the Goodyear tire contract for 03. that will be a start, along with two new young guns? i think so.
everett, mate. If the FORD chairman read this, you problably will be the next Jaguar boss !!!!!

Go for it !!
Old 14 Mar 2002, 15:20 (Ref:235061)   #20
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if Eddies Jaguar was propelled by his ego he'd be world champion