Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2002, 09:14 (Ref:227538)   #1
steve bang
Rookie

steve bang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
STAR Touring Car

Check out the car
Attached Images

Old 4 Mar 2002, 10:46 (Ref:227598)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
star touring car - what is star :confused:
Old 4 Mar 2002, 12:37 (Ref:227695)   #3
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it, they're .75 sized touring cars with Kwakka motocycle machanicals... Though I may be wrong.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 12:41 (Ref:227697)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're not but i think they are.

What a great idea, this is exacty what Australian motorsport needs, another new class. Lord knows, there aren't nearly enough classes out there as it is.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 12:56 (Ref:227712)   #5
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it these things based on the Legends thingys that used to race at the Thunderdome??
Old 4 Mar 2002, 13:00 (Ref:227716)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They look very similar, the first time I saw Legends I thought someone was playing a practical joke.

Honestly, scaled down Touring cars have a lot of appeal,.................to children.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 08:53 (Ref:228330)   #7
steve bang
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by gomick
star touring car - what is star :confused:
Small Time Auto Racing
web site :www.raceexperience.co.nz
Old 5 Mar 2002, 08:56 (Ref:228331)   #8
steve bang
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
You're not but i think they are.

What a great idea, this is exacty what Australian motorsport needs, another new class. Lord knows, there aren't nearly enough classes out there as it is.
Suzuki engines / better power to weight than a british touring car 325hp per tonne and cheap to run light to tow faster than most car and more exciting than fn holden hqs drop the **** classes and run something that will test drivers
cheers dave
Old 5 Mar 2002, 08:58 (Ref:228332)   #9
steve bang
Rookie

Quote:
They look very similar, the first time I saw Legends I thought someone was playing a practical joke.

Honestly, scaled down Touring cars have a lot of appeal,.................to children.
so its true that race officials do spout off about things in aus without finding out whats what would you put your child in a car that will do in excess of 230kph?
these cars are full race cars with plenty of suspension adjustment and won't break the bank to run, just what most average people can afford to race and be competitive with each other.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 12:04 (Ref:228404)   #10
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, the "Race Official" under Dave's name is just a ranking of amount of posts. He's not an official per se. As I understand it, he races a group N car.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 22:04 (Ref:228832)   #11
steve bang
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Flaggie
Steve, the "Race Official" under Dave's name is just a ranking of amount of posts. He's not an official per se. As I understand it, he races a group N car.
I see flaggie, so that means he drives a road car and thinks he's a race car driver.
cheers bud
Old 5 Mar 2002, 23:22 (Ref:228892)   #12
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what exactly do you race steve ?

Playstation 1 or 2 ?
Old 5 Mar 2002, 23:32 (Ref:228897)   #13
steve bang
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
And what exactly do you race steve ?

Playstation 1 or 2 ?
I dont make pathetic asumptions like you do and think that you should also find out what is happening in the real world before making childish statements about playstation games, it would I assume take a boy on a playstation to refere to one as such.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 23:42 (Ref:228908)   #14
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're having a having go at David because he drives a Group N car so I was just wondering what you race.

Please enlighten us.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 23:48 (Ref:228912)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Settle settle everyone.... David has raced for many years in Improved Production and Group N, and now will be running a Torana.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 01:04 (Ref:228940)   #16
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
All I'm saying is steve has made a post asking for an opinion on this STAR category and is now crying throwing insults around because he doesn't like what he's hearing.

Then steve starts insulting David just because next to his name it says he's a race official without any understanding of what those little names mean and then calls me ill informed ? Next to my name it says veteran, does that mean I served in the 'Nam ?

I know David is a driver I've seen him race a few times and even made sure I got a few photos which I've emailed to him.

steve if you don't like other people's opinions don't ask for them and then hissy fit over it when they differ from yours.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 01:17 (Ref:228943)   #17
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looks like they will be popular here.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 04:04 (Ref:228979)   #18
steve bang
Rookie

Hey good to see you all have an opinion, what we are aiming to do is have a economical race car that you can build yourself from a kitset, must be better than buying a worn out old dunger thats done heaps of racing and costs a fortune to keep on the race track. can't see this having any revalence to a playstation or poorly thought out comments about children. If you think that this might be a good idea to help get kids from karts and into saloon racing without breaking the bank fine, also note that I ain't crying, criticism is fine and that's how good ideas become great ones, just trying to get some grown up's feedback as we are trying to promote something to help motorsport not sit on the fence and be negative.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 04:16 (Ref:228986)   #19
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
We already have a similar style category here in Australia which has been running for about 2-3 years. They're called Aussie Legends and are supporting Power Tour this year from what I've heard.

At the moment they run old Holden and Ford shells but are looking at making VX and AU shells sometime this year.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 04:41 (Ref:228997)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question- when you say 'economical', how much do they actually cost to buy/lease/run etc?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 05:17 (Ref:229008)   #21
steve bang
Rookie

ah better feedback / ask phil ward where he got his idea for the vx and au from, the photos I sent him. Any way our cars are built from the ground up to perform and handle and also to have huge suspension adjustment to help new racers to learn what to do to change handling characteristics, Greg Murphy has driven them and has said that they do what a race car should,handling and braking wise and are fun to drive.
Costs: depends on how much kitset you buy to start with ( any other kitset race cars available in Aus? )but should cost between 18 and 25 k which is cheap for a brand new race car I think.We run them for hire days and lease and running costs are very low,in the first two years we have not had to change tyres or brake pads so jkust oil and filters so far,lokk at www.raceexperience.co.nz for a brake down of kitset prices
Old 6 Mar 2002, 05:51 (Ref:229016)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
A bit of a shortcut here to the price list-http://www.raceexperience.co.nz/page6.html

In Australia, unless you were around in the declining days of the Thunderdome, or have been to some of the lesser OP meetings, you probably haven't seen anything similar. Up here in QLD, there is a real tin-top society, classes like HQs, Geminis, Saloon Cars are where people are tending to get into motorsport, and then they progress up into things like Sports Sedans and Improved Production. Basically classes like the Geminis and HQs are on the rebound at the moment because cars are going cheap- $3K and a similar amount to run a season (depending on how much you plan on creasing them). An awful lot of people have gotten into Saloon Cars, with a lot of credit for that going down to the fact that they have a fully fledged National Championship with the V8s, and have invites onto a fair few big meetings. These things cost around $18K new/second hand, up to $25K for the best car in the land.

Granted these cars wouldn't perform/handle like a Star Touring Car, many of the states around the country would probably be hard to crack into. Phil Ward's things have taken a long time to crack it interstate, and this year will be very interesting for them. Perhaps if they are succesful, it would make it easier for people to accept Star tourers. Then again, Ward has been on the publicity war path for some time, giving anyone who looks important and influential a test, and rightly so.

One thing I like about what you're doing is the Taupo track- if there is one track in the world that be suited to these type of cars it is probably that one. Any plans to take them elsewhere around NZ?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 07:13 (Ref:229036)   #23
steve bang
Rookie

We have sent one car to Aus and it was running in Sydney in a few car club events seemed to go well over there until it got t- boned driver is ok and the chassis proved to be very strong keeping the driver safe from any major injury. Our cars are quite different to phils as ours are from all reports better handling as they are wider and much more forgiving if you get it a little wrong. We race here among V8's rotaries etc and do real well , have raced our cars at taupo and manfield with clocked speed ( radar )on manfield at 230kph in a race,we are working on a couple of avenues in Australia at the moment which I hope will see the cars built there.we hope that as the cars will be run under strict rules that they will enjoy close and fast racing.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 09:17 (Ref:233381)   #24
steve bang
Rookie

Added bonus is that our cars are also designed to run on dirt ovals with enough suspension adjustment for all caster and camber combinations, and still in kitset form so you can build it yourself without needing any welding gear.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 09:30 (Ref:233386)   #25
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who stole the idea from Humpy Wheeler first, you or Phil Ward?