Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Jun 2002, 16:55 (Ref:305435)   #1
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will integrity & honesty win?

Personally I don't care who wins the 500 but it does matter to me if they won by real evidence and not by decree. If it is by decree, I will stop watching the IRL and the 500. Even if Honda is coming back.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 17:18 (Ref:305452)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Slicktoast, you couldn't have said it better. I'll admit that I was rooting Helio, and I was convinced that he had won. But now that Green claims to have new video evidence, I'm not so sure. The important thing is that the title goes to he who deserves it. I'm a CART fan too, so one of their drivers winning their third straight would also be cool.

If evidence presents itself that Tracy had actually completed his pass, the ruling should be overturned. Simple. But if the victory is in fact handed to Tracy, then I would feel almost as if Helio got robbed, too. If the yellow lights were not on within four seconds after the crash, as they definitely should have been, then there is something wrong. For if the yellow came on immediately, as expected, Helio's win would have been uncontested.

Either way, this victory was decided by whomever's job it is to press that little button that says "Yellow". It seems that he was falling asleep at the time, he responded too slowly, and now look at the big mess.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 17:21 (Ref:305454)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Just like to add that I hope this doesn't get dragged on for months like the Unser/Andretti situation did. The longer it takes to sort this out, the larger the blemish on the 500.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 18:24 (Ref:305512)   #4
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Macdaddy and Slicktoast,

I can only agree with your words - and who cannot?

One of the saddest motorsport messages I have ever received hit me two days ago, when a Ten Tenths member told me he was leaving the forum for good.

This guy is a die-hard IRL fan - and you all know I am a CART person -, and I always liked his messages (he was in the forum far before me). I wondered him why he would stop visiting Ten Tenths, and ask him to reconsider, but he replied...

"The infighting between the two series is getting too much for me, as well I dont get to see the races , so I've stopped caring about both series."

What can be worse to the sport than this?
Old 5 Jun 2002, 21:30 (Ref:305764)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope the sport is not too damaged after this...
Old 7 Jun 2002, 00:46 (Ref:306881)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I'll admit that I was rooting Helio
I'm the juvenile Aussie who will point out that THIS QUOTE IS FUNNY. Macdaddy, you sly dog, you are sounding like a Mr Zanardi on the Gold Coast in '98: "Maybe if everybody roots me, I will have a chance."

Quote:
If the yellow lights were not on within four seconds after the crash, as they definitely should have been, then there is something wrong. For if the yellow came on immediately, as expected, Helio's win would have been uncontested.

Either way, this victory was decided by whomever's job it is to press that little button that says "Yellow". It seems that he was falling asleep at the time, he responded too slowly, and now look at the big mess.
That person ruined plenty of stuff in the race, especially Kanaan's chance of winning. All of your statements are correct, except the same can be said for the Junqueira engine incident - and the yellow didn't come out then.

There is no doubt in my mind that they should have gone yellow STRAIGHT AWAY - not before the leader hit the effected area. It was obvious to Stevie Wonder that there was oil being pumped out everywhere!
Old 7 Jun 2002, 08:11 (Ref:307116)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Damn straight. Kanaan may have won outright and left HCN and PT to battle for the leftovers.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 19:08 (Ref:307667)   #8
bluefeather
Rookie

bluefeather should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so easily persuaded to believe new evidence is available. What evidence can be presented that was not presentable and valid in the first five hours, or even on Monday? I am of the opinion that this protest is being tried through the media. Paul was second. Close but no cigar. No matter how close you are to the leader, you're not the winner if you still trail first place. That position is second. Wishful thinking and woulda coulda's are worth zero points or positions.
Lies remain lies no matter how often you repeat them. Barry and Paul are wrong in my opinion, and I am wrong in their opinion.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 22:27 (Ref:307808)   #9
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bluefeather
No matter how close you are to the leader, you're not the winner if you still trail first place. That position is second.
And herin lies the krux of the Team Green argument. They contend that Paul Tracy was not trailing the leader when the yellow came out.

He wasn't close to the leader. He was, in fact, past the leader and into first place. The question is when?
Old 8 Jun 2002, 06:08 (Ref:307902)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I understand it that people from Team Green went around to all of the television trucks parked around the Speedway and requested to review their tapes. And apparently Barry feels that they have found a camera angle that shows Tracy in the lead as the yellow came on. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, this footage has not yet been made publicly available.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 22:57 (Ref:310122)   #11
John0087
Rookie

John0087 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a and will be a CART fan until the bitter end.(Honestly, I dispise Tony G. and the IRL, but thats another story) However, more importantly I am a motorsports fan and as most of you are saying, I truely hope that whom ever was in front at the time wins, be it Helio of PT.

John