Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 Aug 2002, 01:31 (Ref:365382)   #1
Rachel
Rookie

Rachel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scheckter quits

I haven't been able to find much solid information about this (only this article, http://www.indystar.com/article.php?irl24.html), but apparently Tomas Scheckter has quit his job with Cheever Racing, citing safety concerns. The strange thing is, he didn't tell anyone and simply decided not to show up for work. I'm still not quite sure what to make of this...
Old 25 Aug 2002, 02:24 (Ref:365390)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL website confirms that Scheckter has been withdrawn from tommorows race. No reason sited. The rest of the field should sleep better tonight.

Last edited by Flatspot; 25 Aug 2002 at 02:27.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 02:35 (Ref:365391)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schekter in IRL, that was a strange state of affairs wasn't it...I don't watch IRL cause its not on TV in Australia, but I will not forget the number of times I've read 'Schekter led before crashing...'
Old 25 Aug 2002, 11:19 (Ref:365509)   #4
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that if Tomas felt he was in danger he should inform the team of his wish to quit. However, his decision to simply not show up is very unprofessional and could be very damaging to his career. Pi$$ing off Red Bull ain't the way for a '00's racing driver to get along.
On the other hand, I dare say he's probably sorted himself out a tidy CART or NASCAR deal and has simply dumped the team. Shame on him.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 11:31 (Ref:365523)   #5
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that will save cheever-recing a lot of money
but i think he should have told this to the team a little earlier
Old 25 Aug 2002, 11:53 (Ref:365538)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gah. I think Tomas might have just ended his career. Red Bull is going to pull their sponsorship from him posthaste, thought they'll probably honor their contract with Cheever and finish out the season. They'll certainly be paying less now without Tomas destroying cars every race. :rollyes: They spent a _lot_ of money on this team and were already frustrated that they weren't getting a sufficient return. Along with the push to bring up American drivers, I think this'll be the last straw for them.

As for Tomas, who's ever going to hire a driver who simply walks away from his contracts? What a damn primadonna...
Old 25 Aug 2002, 13:41 (Ref:365583)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely this thread is'nt suggesting the convicted kerb crawler Mr Scheckter could be unprofessional?

If he's citing dangerous driving conditions then I dont think we can expect to see him back in IRL or CART can we - considering the Oval nature of the racing. That just leaves F1 - reckon Daddy has sorted him a drive out? He'll be more at home in F1 if he can break his contract so easily.

Eddie Cheever should stick with Americans who want to run Ovals and have the balls to do so.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 15:48 (Ref:365616)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
http://sports.yahoo.com/rac/irl/news...scheckter.html

"We had no previous notice of this at all," Cheever said. "I really don't know. I have learned to expect just about anything from Tomas. I'm very disappointed at his lack of respect and professionalism for the team. I have no idea what the problem is."

"With Tomas, you have to deal with lots of different layers of managers and lawyers. It's like dealing with a Formula One champion. I find that humorous from somebody who has just participated for one year. He is under contract with us through 2003 and we have invested millions of dollars in repairing cars - his car - and we intend to enforce his contract."

"If he chooses not to drive, then he won't drive - and he won't drive anywhere."

Scheckter actually is under contract with Tom Walkinshaw Racing and is assigned to Cheever's IRL team.

Scheckter said he is not finished with the IRL and wants to remain in the series rather than jump to CART.

"Hopefully, I'll be back soon in the IRL and in a car that goes up front," Scheckter said. "I want to race in the IRL. I've enjoyed racing in the IRL. The IRL has been great for me and ... and I want to be part of the IRL in the future.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 17:35 (Ref:365637)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very strange
Old 26 Aug 2002, 01:10 (Ref:365773)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is really odd behavior by him but the guy who cracks me up is Cheever! Was not he the guy who pulled Shecketer's whole team out from under him? Where was his commitment to the contract? IRL gets weirder by the moment! Maybe Al Jr threatened to punch him out as well as Giaffone...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 15:59 (Ref:366013)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I learned hanging in the Cart media centre during the montreal Cart race, apparently he was driving in a race (not sure which one it was...no idea) and it was reported to the team that one of his tyres was blistering. The team could see this and other drivers reported it, but Tomas did not know it, and the team never told him. Later the tyre burst and Tomas crashed hard into the wall. Apparently Tomas was so furious that the team purposely didn't tell him about the problem that he quit.

This league is very dangerous and there have been a lot of injuries recently and over the past few years. If all of the above is true, I think he has every moral right to walk out on that team.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Aug 2002, 16:59 (Ref:366074)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Jay - thanks for the info. If even part of it is true then Scheckter had every reason to leave the team! For a while a I thought the IRL was just a bad joke - now it looks like TG's ego is going to get too high of a sacrifice. Racing is dangerous enough without running a show like this. Cheever needs to wake up too. He has made a career out of pontificating. He needs to focus on his team and what it needs to do to succeed.

Did you hear anything about where Scheckter may end up?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 17:49 (Ref:366099)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
To quote a driver I interviewed in Atlantics, Ryan Hunter-Reay, "Open-wheel cars capable of doing 240 mph are not meant to run on ovals"...couldn't agree more.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Aug 2002, 22:06 (Ref:366267)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still nice way to treat your employer in the week his dad died - condolences to Eddie and Ross on the death of Eddie snr.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 00:24 (Ref:366332)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If this tire-thing is true, then I can no longer blame Tomas. In fact, I applaud him. And I hold Cheever to an even lower esteem.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 03:46 (Ref:366377)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
About where Scheckter may end up... not sure. I think he is going to test a champ car later this year, but a lot of people are. He has stated publicly that he'd like to race in the IRL again, but if Cart ride was offered he'd take a look at it... This is a typical 'I'm not saying anything'.

Chris Pook wants Scheckter in Champ cars(I think he might be talking to a few people about this), but I'm not sure if an owner will be willing to risk him in their car. There are A LOT of other drivers that are potentially more talented than Scheckter and are available for next season.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 08:20 (Ref:366433)   #17
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
not the biggest fan of eddie cheever so if tomas quit good on him considering eddie bagged him so much.

look at the points situation. scheckter is up there with cheever (210-226) and hit the wall in every 2nd race. doesnt say much about eddies driving abilities
Old 27 Aug 2002, 15:36 (Ref:366693)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
http://www.indystar.com/article.php?localbrfs27.html

"We are sending letters to all the CART and the IRL teams saying that should they wish to buy his contract, we are open to negotiations," Cheever said.

"But if he tests in anybody's car or does anything with any team without our prior consent, we will sue (the team) and obviously him. That's pretty clear, isn't it?"

Cheever did not say what the buyout price is.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 16:26 (Ref:366744)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
My understanding was per your post macdaddy that Scheckter was contracted with TWR. It would seem TWR would be in the driver's seat (pun intended) for any potential litigation. How can Cheever sue Tomas then?

Maybe we could sue Eddie for pretending to be an Important Auto Racing Figure. Wish I coulda been there when Infiniti dropped the IRL engine program and he had to go crawling around for a new engine supplier (after yakking for the last 2 seasons about how much better his engines were).
Old 28 Aug 2002, 01:37 (Ref:367103)   #20
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was the rumour that the team was running crashed/repaired tubs and this was also a concern. I know Tomas trashed alot of cars but they weren't all his fault. Red Bull may also drop Eddie's team because oval racing is not fitting in with there plans to get an American into F1 and nobody turns up for some of the IRL races. Some talk of an Atlantic team providing a better return for less money?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 23:48 (Ref:367860)   #21
DRVNFAST
Rookie

DRVNFAST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie Cheever should stick with Americans who want to run Ovals and have the balls to do so.-- ghinzani--

What do you think abou Buddy Rice? The team could see this and other drivers reported it, but Tomas did not know it, and the team never told him. --JAy--

This sound like rumor, and just simply too dangerous to be true.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 02:08 (Ref:367917)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
That's what the word was around the Cart media centre in Montreal...now the story is that Tomas knew of the problem, but the team wouldn't let him pit. Just as bad IMO.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 16:36 (Ref:368401)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Funny. Just when Cheever thought he was in control of Scheckter's career, the tables are turned and it's vice-versa. Eddie's about to lose not only his engine supplier, but his sponsorship as well. Scheckter's probably thinking to himself, "Like to see him call me an idiot now!"
Old 29 Aug 2002, 16:48 (Ref:368409)   #24
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with Tomas if the story is true. I have heard about the tyre problem too and its dodgy. I think it shows you must wait to hear the other side of the story before you condemn someone for their actions. You cant **** about with drivers lives. Not on an oval.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 09:07 (Ref:368895)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I am glad they are running Buddy Rice - hes been just as quickas Thomas but without the drama - 2nd on ur debut? not bad!

As to the idea that Cheevers team wouldnt let him pit... what absolute rubbish - surely all Thomas had to do was turn the steering wheel and apply the brakes? He was able to stop quickly and correctly when he was kerb crawling in England !!