Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Sep 2002, 09:53 (Ref:374331)   #1
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda and Toyota to IRL why?

OK. I was just thinking about this earlier and can't figure it out completely.

Last year Heitzler announced a new engine package, which got rid of turbo's in favor of normally aspirated engines. Honda and Toyota backed out because they didn't want to build a normally aspirated engine. Am I wrong so far?

So, Honda and Toyota switch to IRL who runs normally aspirated engines. I don't get it. I know some of it has to do with Heitzler's mess over the pop off valve. But what else? Honda and Toyota are still making the switch just to spite CART? Help me out here.

Cam
Old 6 Sep 2002, 10:35 (Ref:374369)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simple - the lure of the Indianapolis 500. That is the ONLY reason why they have left.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 11:28 (Ref:374418)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But really, all of that tooing and froing didn't help anyone out... what were the manufacturers to do when the series bigwigs didn't know what they were doing?
Old 6 Sep 2002, 14:56 (Ref:374602)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well at least now CART has got someone in charge who knows whats going on and is continuously working to improve the appeal of the sport to fans. Top man!

Last edited by paulzinho; 6 Sep 2002 at 14:56.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 15:14 (Ref:374611)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Honda and Toyota just wanted to make extra-sure that I never purchase one of their cars.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 15:25 (Ref:374614)   #6
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read this article:

http://www.champweb.net/newsx21.htm
Old 6 Sep 2002, 15:27 (Ref:374616)   #7
pferrf1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Simple - the lure of the Indianapolis 500. That is the ONLY reason why they have left.
Hardly - the INDY 500 is becoming less and less important in the US motorsports scene. Their money would be better spent on Super Bowl advertising than a racing program.
Most NASCAR races get the same ratings the Indy 500 does. Its more about Toyota getting into Nascar and Honda fighting Toyota. Than anything else.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 16:04 (Ref:374644)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto Macdaddy
Old 6 Sep 2002, 17:14 (Ref:374708)   #9
shaggy8931
Rookie

shaggy8931 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
camcartfan... not sure on honda's perspective, but when the N/A formula was announced, Toyota said that they would build an engine like this for CART if the basic regulations were the same as the IRL formula, which they claimed would be the case. That was the case until the announcement of the lower tech turbo engine for 2003 cart, surfaced. Left with a N/A engine in development, Toyota had to pull out of CART next year....
Old 6 Sep 2002, 18:05 (Ref:374758)   #10
pferrf1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by shaggy8931
camcartfan... not sure on honda's perspective, but when the N/A formula was announced, Toyota said that they would build an engine like this for CART if the basic regulations were the same as the IRL formula, which they claimed would be the case. That was the case until the announcement of the lower tech turbo engine for 2003 cart, surfaced. Left with a N/A engine in development, Toyota had to pull out of CART next year....
Shaggy - That is completely and utterly WRONG.

Toyota was never going to be in CART next year. Never. In any way. With no doubt.

Toyota threw that carrot out at CART... play by our rules, we may show up. CARt went to the spec Turbo not only because it was going to be 60% cheaper than the 3.5 NA, but because Toyota was about to announce that they would not provide engines for CART. They were taking thteir ball and going home.

Leading up to that point, Toyota had made it clear that the most to be expected for CART was that 'TRD' would sell engines to the CART teams, for a cost of $2.7M, in essence, subsidizing their IRL efforts off the backs of the CART teams.

Read the article referenced in my above post.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 19:11 (Ref:374804)   #11
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pferrf1
[B]

Shaggy - That is completely and utterly WRONG.

Toyota was never going to be in CART next year. Never. In any way. With no doubt.

A normally aspirated engine was never in development. The decision to leave CART was made way before the new Cosworth turbo package was announced.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 19:32 (Ref:374815)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope Honda and Toyota force the smaller teams into CART.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 22:59 (Ref:374932)   #13
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There must have been some B$G $NCENT$VE from TGIRL
Old 6 Sep 2002, 23:14 (Ref:374942)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's funny how that just before Pook entered the scene, CART was going to be IRLised with a mystery package. Thank god that never happened...

Yeah, TG would be flipping a bit of green Honda/Toyota's way, but then again, so is Pook, with all of these subsidies. Really, neither team in the game are in that great a shape when they have to pay for their competitors to turn up..
Old 7 Sep 2002, 05:44 (Ref:375088)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda and Toyota regret their decisions now... They are going into a series which has no other destiny but failure. They are in the spotlight for one day a year and then are completely invisible the rest of the time.

On the other hand, Cart's audience continues to expand around the world.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Sep 2002, 08:28 (Ref:375123)   #16
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda

HONDA doesn't tend to make unwise choices.The company makes decisions with the future in mind.HONDA did not leave CART as a way to "spite" the series.HONDA's primary goal is to escalate HONDA.The sum of money allocated to HPD is certainly an indication of that.
I feel that it would be prudent to consider that a great deal of forward looking thought has been dedicated to the future of HONDA racing.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 09:57 (Ref:375156)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by GoFaster
HONDA doesn't tend to make unwise choices.
You haven't been watching Formula One in recent years?
Old 7 Sep 2002, 10:04 (Ref:375161)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In F1, Honda has made a decision for the loooooong future...
Old 7 Sep 2002, 10:37 (Ref:375190)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
BTW pferrf1- thanks for the link! Very interesting... but I take it the writer doesn't like Toyota? I remember a time when the Hondas would blow up everytime they left the garage, but he neglected to harp on that fact
Old 7 Sep 2002, 22:47 (Ref:375459)   #20
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was an interesting article pferrf1 linked to. Toyota's use of "industrial spies" against Ford and Honda was particularly interesting. I had naively assumed that the Toyota engineers had figured out what Ford and Honda were doing with the pop off valves and figured that it would be easier to get CART to change the valve than to develop the technology themselves. It makes more sense that they used spies because if they had had the pop off valve idea themselves it would make sense to use it themselves to gain an advantage rather than getting CART to ban it on the possibly faulty assumption that Ford and Honda were already doing it.

It makes me wonder what else Toyota learned from their spies. It could be that Toyota's success this year is due to their engine being a combination of the best ideas from Ford and Honda put into one package.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 01:13 (Ref:377778)   #21
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have owned several Toyota trucks in the past. After what I have learned here, my next truck might just be a Ford.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 20:54 (Ref:379063)   #22
glurrea
Rookie

glurrea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Tailwind, a Ford, never a Toyota. And yes, all this mess is about the pop-off valve. Honda was supporting CART, winning six championships in a row, Toyota appears and they decide the CART's rules. Oh Mr Heitzler, what a wrong decision. What we have now, no Toyota and no Honda. But it´s true, soon as they get many Indy 500 wins, they will think: "this series sucks" and will come back to real racing. And by then CART will be so established they will have to pray for put their engines in CART.
Old 13 Sep 2002, 19:55 (Ref:379824)   #23
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, so what did everyone think of the article overall? Overall, it seems like a well reasoned article, but I have to agree they are overly anti-Toyota. OTOH, if Toyot indeed do all those things, how can anyone not show disgust with Toyota?

Crashtest wrote:
>I remember a time when the Hondas would blow up everytime they left the garage, but >he neglected to harp on that fact
>
True, the Hondas may have been unreliable, but were the Hondas as bad as the Toyotas during this period?

Last edited by kmchow; 13 Sep 2002 at 19:58.