Jacques Villeneuve 41 75.93%
j.b. 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Nov 2002, 07:25 (Ref:428307)   #1
Farc
Rookie

Farc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bar HONDA drivers WHO will be the fast one

Villeneuve will win 17 to 0, this car will be fast and I'm sure JV will be the man of 96-97 again, I think HONDA this year will show the shine again and Jacques will do the rest.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 08:22 (Ref:428330)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Villeneuve too, but not 17-0. Especially with the new qualifying system. (I presume you mean qualifying). I think Villeneuve will have the upper hand in the races too.

I hope Honda and BAR make a step forward. But if they don't and are fighting for minor places and/or it goes bang a lot it may be difficult to judge.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 08:28 (Ref:428333)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV by a small margin, but it will depend on how good the car is. This is likely to be his final season, so he will either go out with a bang or a whimper... I hope it's with a bang and he can put the car in some top positions.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 09:01 (Ref:428340)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Better question : Who will be the slower one? The has been or the won't be?

Jacques is just seeing out very lucrative contract and will spend most of his time in semi-retirement mode (like many races this year).

Bunsen has a pretty cosy 3 year deal and will only do enough to look alright next to the ex world champion. Lets face it, his time at Benetton was farcical until he realised Williams had lost his number and he needed a new ride.

Prediction - A step backwards for the team.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 10:13 (Ref:428365)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Jacques is just seeing out very lucrative contract and will spend most of his time in semi-retirement mode (like many races this year).

Bunsen has a pretty cosy 3 year deal and will only do enough to look alright next to the ex world champion. Lets face it, his time at Benetton was farcical until he realised Williams had lost his number and he needed a new ride.
Completely agree with the first part, and couldn't DISSagree more with the second. Button went to Bennetton with several big problems... A big/young head, a very tricky car, a changing team, and an exceptional team-mate (who was use to the team and the car). Every single one of these problems he got sorted and by the end of the year he was performing very well indeed. Last year more of the same.

JV is over the hill - Button will have the drive and fitness to win-through in 2003. Biggest problem for both of them is BAR - I see no reason to believe that they will enjoy a radical increase in performance. Honda engines need to last more than thirty laps for starters.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 11:16 (Ref:428396)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be Villeneuve; if he wants to stay in F1 he'll need to show his worth, which I think he realizes.
Button is not a great qualifier and while not a bad driver is terribly overhyped. He has never really outshone any of his team-mates. He needs to show well against JV if he wants to be considered anything other than 'the next big thing'.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:00 (Ref:428421)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
It should be JV, he's had 4 seasons with the team so far, Jenson is new to the team, but it won't be 17-0 in JV's favour, thats what alot of people were saying about Jarno/Jenson and Jenson scored the majority of the points. JV is out of BAR at the end of '03, BAR will be looking beyond that, Jenson doesn't have to beat JV race in race out, all he has to do is nothing stupid, score points when the oppertunity presents itself and race/qualify close to JV, if he does all this, he'll be retained by BAR, JV will be gone and Jenson will be in the commanding position of team experience etc for '04.

Last edited by Mr V; 14 Nov 2002 at 12:02.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:04 (Ref:428425)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I don't think Jacques is finished just yet. The guy can be a brilliant driver, and if he can sniff a position in any of the top 4 teams for 2004, he will turn it on next year in the "factory" Honda.
It will be more interesting to see how Ant compares against Bunsen next year. There will be some testing sessions where both will try for the faster time. That's something I am looking forward to.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:59 (Ref:428451)   #9
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jacques will be better cause he´s longer in the team and jenson is new, so i think he´ll be better
Old 14 Nov 2002, 16:51 (Ref:428602)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say Jacques, but only in the races. JB does not drive as aggressively as JV. I also expect to see JV in the gravel traps more. The pairing reminds me a little of the Williams teammates only I would put Button a step ahead of RS, well at least when it comes to passing.

As for the car, there is no reason for BAR not to make a huge leap up the grid. The motor is supposed to be at least as powerful as any of the top three teams and there is a new "better" staff designing the car. With that said I am not going to predict a fourth place finish or anything like that. However, what reason or excuse would be acceptable for BAR not to be fighting the top teams next year? I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 17:42 (Ref:428611)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the car's better than the 004 (and should be, with Geoff Willis instead of Oastler) Jacques will be scoring points and maybe even a podium
Old 14 Nov 2002, 18:19 (Ref:428643)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both'll manage to score some points, and the team'll be looking a lot sharper than they are this year. I'd expect Jacques to come on strong early in the year, and again towards the end, as he feels Button nipping at his heels.

Jacques, I expect, will be back in CART in '04. F1's too political for his tastes, too businesslike. He just loves to race, everything else involved with the job is tedium.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 21:58 (Ref:428778)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

Jacques, I expect, will be back in CART in '04. F1's too political for his tastes, too businesslike. He just loves to race, everything else involved with the job is tedium.
Salaries may have something to do with it also!
Old 14 Nov 2002, 22:37 (Ref:428805)   #14
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm and I thought this place was mostly anti-Villeneuve!
So I'm glad to see JV well ahead in the pole here.

No question he will wipe the floor with Button, maybe not 17-0 but surely 16-0!! hehe Spa is gone guys remember?
Seriously though I predict 13-3 to JV as he likes to drive on the edge so he's bound to have a few offs.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 22:43 (Ref:428811)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is prone to a number of offs per season himself.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 22:58 (Ref:428827)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Guys, we must stop this annual early predictions of great improvements to teams. Each year, we predict that Jordan will be even better, Jaguar will get wins, even Minardi will get Ferrari engines, and each time we are let down. Next year, BARonda will have a rocket right up their arse in the shape of a fast improving Toyota (there I go again!!) and unless they can score more points than their Japanese rivals, they will lose face. So BARonda and toyota will improve, Minardi will because of their Cosworth deal, Jaguar because of their new engine and Mark Webber, so!! have I left anyone out?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:01 (Ref:428831)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Gee Valve, if we can't speculate (and dream a little) what are we gonna talk about until March?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:10 (Ref:428841)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson will get the better of jaques occ,but only occ.
Jaques KNOWS he's out of F1 if he doesn't look impressive.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:51 (Ref:428873)   #19
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both drivers are capable of good performances even in a BAR. What really matters is which one puts the most heart into next season.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 02:57 (Ref:428928)   #20
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
k I know this is kinda off topic and I apologise but I've always been wondering about the titles next to our names (e.g. some have Racer, Race Official, Veteran, Team Partner) what do these mean? I used to think it was about the # of posts u have written but I see here that Wrex has some 3000 posts and is a 4 star race official but VB has almost 6000 and is a 3 star Veteran and so is Raven who has only 650 posts??
What's up with that???
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 03:17 (Ref:428934)   #21
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques will be better than Jenson, but not 17 or 16-0
but I expect something like 12-5 or 11-5
Old 15 Nov 2002, 06:47 (Ref:428977)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
k I know this is kinda off topic and I apologise but I've always been wondering about the titles next to our names (e.g. some have Racer, Race Official, Veteran, Team Partner) what do these mean? I used to think it was about the # of posts u have written but I see here that Wrex has some 3000 posts and is a 4 star race official but VB has almost 6000 and is a 3 star Veteran and so is Raven who has only 650 posts??
What's up with that???
What do the stars beneath a user's name signify ?

Last edited by Wrex; 15 Nov 2002 at 06:52.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:04 (Ref:429174)   #23
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Great thanks Wrex!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 18:18 (Ref:429410)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve, who predicted that Jaguar would get wins???
Old 16 Nov 2002, 11:56 (Ref:429852)   #25
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Guys, we must stop this annual early predictions of great improvements to teams.
It would be better to keep a file of the "winter predictions" and then publish it at the end of the season.

My prediction for next season is that no team will make a significant improvement. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't read or hear anything to make me more optimistic. "What about Ferrari?" I hear you say. I would reply that if Ferrari makes a significant improvement next season, we had better all find a new sport to follow.