Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 15 Dec 2002, 11:33 (Ref:450305)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GPL - Milano/Miloval?

Are these two the same track?

I have "Milano" but can't find "Miloval" on the tracks database.

If they're not the same, could someone point me towards a download site for Miloval?
Old 15 Dec 2002, 11:34 (Ref:450306)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: GPL - Milano/Miloval?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Are these two the same track?

I have "Milano" but can't find "Miloval" on the tracks database.

If they're not the same, could someone point me towards a download site for Miloval?
I think it is the same thing - I have it too...........
Old 15 Dec 2002, 14:08 (Ref:450402)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have it too now.

Why can't we have an online race there?
I certainly would want to have a go at it there if i can get the online thing working...
Old 15 Dec 2002, 17:00 (Ref:450459)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tried an hour or so ago. I was the only one there!

So I couldn't be bothered!
Old 16 Dec 2002, 10:05 (Ref:450949)   #5
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
who cares what it's called?! i could still whip all your arses at it ladies

beat 49.80....only then will i consider you a worthy opponent to the Grand Master Juan...

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 16 Dec 2002, 12:56 (Ref:451078)   #6
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Any chance of posting your settings please? Last time I raced there (before baby - Aysedasi!), I tried it with my Monza settings, (fastest track I have settings for). However I was still only just keeping up with Clark and Hill. I was about 100 metres behind them, but then Clark must have missed a gearchange, Hill slowed and I passed both of them to win! That Clark was over-rated!

Also can anyone give advice on how to make clean starts? I can get good grid positions but either wheelspin horribly and have to let off, or get bogged down and crawl away. It is really frustrating to lost half a dozen places before the first corner. Especially when you are at a similar pace, instead of close racing mixing for the lead, I watch the excitement from a distance.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 13:12 (Ref:451086)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've done very little racing at Milano (Miloval). I don't think I've got below 50 secs. Having said that, my 13 year old lad only drives there and Monza, and he's done a 51 with auto box and all the aids on!

When I practiced there a couple of nights ago (for the race with no one else in it!), I couldn;t understand why I couldn't get under 53 secs. Then I realised I was doing the whole lap in 4th gear!

As for getting it off the line, Allon, I think its really a question of practice. I regard myself as pretty good at it, easing off the brakes quite gently whilst feeding in the power. There are a lot of drivers around, particularly those I'd put in the novice class who really boot it and end up sliding across the track into the car next door.

I must admit I don't worry too much about fighting for the lead at T1, particularly at Monza, as c arnage usually ensues. I try to drive without making mistakes. Being consistent like that usually gets you into the top 3 anyway as the jerks who go hell for leather invariably fall off somewhere on the first 2 laps. I find more fun in the chase.

So the only real answer is

Practice,, practice and more practice.

Such hardship.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Dec 2002 at 13:15.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 13:33 (Ref:451109)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

As for getting it off the line, Allon, I think its really a question of practice. I regard myself as pretty good at it, easing off the brakes quite gently whilst feeding in the power. There are a lot of drivers around, particularly those I'd put in the novice class who really boot it and end up sliding across the track into the car next door.
I have a bit of a 'boot it' style, but not in the style of stamp on it and pray!

I find in most online races I can get a better start than other cars which can be a real pain if you have to let off the gas because you've made a better start thean the car in front. My method seem to work for me though.

What I do is hold the revs at about 4500rpm in neutral on the line (I have experimented and found if you get your temperatures up as much as you can before the start it makes your engine more reliable). When the green flag drops, I 'boot' the throttle and shift into first gear (no clutch). This spins up the rear wheels and then I balance the revs on about 5000 with the wheels spinning. Then when I feel the time is right I short-shift into 2nd and we're away.

If you control the wheelspin, there shouldn't be any problems taking out your neighbours, but I do see it happen.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 13:43 (Ref:451121)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, that's pretty much my style too. Avoiding wheelspin at all costs otherwise you're just left there spinning your wheels while everyone else is spinning into the scenery.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 14:01 (Ref:451142)   #10
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
So no use of the clutch then, I thought that was one of the things people liked about GPL? That has been my problem, the clutch goes and I either spin or bog down. You guys are saying no clutch, neutral, 4-5000 revs, into gear, balance throttle and short-shift? Sounds easier than I suspect it will be!

I don't mind losing a few places at most tracks as I can catch up, (AI tweaked of course!), but at Milano I just can't catch Clark and Hill as we are going the same speed, but some 100 metres apart... All of that was lost at the start, that's why I need to sort my getaway.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 14:04 (Ref:451146)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No. I don't use the clutch at any stage. (I lift on the throttle for gearchanges to avoid blowing the engine).

I used to have the same trouble with the Lotuses when I first started races. Got quite a buzz the first time I beat them both (at Monza).

When I started playing GPL again (back in August), I seriously tweaked the AI, but after a while it got much too easy, so I put the AI back to normal again. Of course, racing online is completely different because of the huge difference in skills between best and worst.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Dec 2002 at 14:05.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 16:06 (Ref:451216)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never use the clutch as I find it does bog the car down a hell of a lot more (unless your revving the nuts off the engine) than just whacking it straight into first gear.

By doing that, you get instant power to the rear wheels that you can then control with the throttle. I find that from dis-engaged to engaged, the clutch has a slight transition that saps power from the engine. This means you have more chance of bogging down unless you compensate with more revs at the start. But if you do compensate, once the transition is over you've got far to much power going through the wheels and you're going nowhere. Either way you lose time.

So cut out the middle man and bin the clutch.

Talking about momentarily getting out of the throttle between gear changes, it amazes me how many times I come across stricken cars pouring with smoke so early into the race. It's unbelievable!

Look after your motor, it has to keep going for 20 minutes even in an int short race. I change gears a couple of hundred revs lower in races and that seems to work. I've only had one engine failure during an online race so far. I tend to get a few in practice, but then I'm pushing the car far harder to get a time.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 17:08 (Ref:451253)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I have to admit that I've had one or two (!) engine failures, although, like you Spud, I do short-shift, in certain places particularly. I rarely take the gear to the red line before upshifting.

My biggest problem recently has been cocking up when I fuel up for the race. Twice I've been caught out with only practice fuel on board, at Monza and the Glen.

I normally adjust my preferred setup for enough fuel to take me until the end of the race (with another lap's worth put in for good measure), and then save that as just "11" or "18". Somehow, however, I seem to end up with the practice fuel for the race. I now have to double-check to make sure. Sometimes I even go out with a race fuel load in practice, as I don't get too het up during practice with setting fast times.

I don't know if I'll get online tonight, I shall do my best!
Old 16 Dec 2002, 17:28 (Ref:451266)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, how does someone who is playing with the keyboard + automatic shifting get away from the grid?

I press both the gas and the brake, and I let off the brake as soon as it's go, but does anyone do it another way? (note: the car inches forward a bit)
Old 18 Dec 2002, 14:08 (Ref:452676)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sorry Jordi, can't help you there. I've never driven with the keyboard.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 16:23 (Ref:453564)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do the same, don't know any other way.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 17:25 (Ref:453604)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fellow keyboard player ®îjñtjûh?
Old 19 Dec 2002, 22:32 (Ref:453815)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

Yep...
Old 20 Dec 2002, 16:48 (Ref:454330)   #19
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i will post my setups for milano...

there are 3...

setup one: the ultra-fast nut-shrinking fest, where you're on a knifeedge through curva sud - but after 3 laps of warming the engine and the tyres you acheive 209/210mph on the straights (if you know how to drive the corners properly.

setup two: an adaptation of setup one for the race - and this is NOT to be used in the longer races because it gets way too hard to drive.

Setups three: a long-race setup, different suspension, ramp angles and diffs - as well as a more conservative gear ratio. makes it soooo much easier to drive - which means that it doesnt feel like you're driving.

i'll post these tommorow when we (fingers crossed) get the internet connection up and running at home...

Old 13 Jan 2003, 13:44 (Ref:473005)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, I've since realised that Milano and Miloval aren't the same track. Miloval is that easy-peasy flat out oval that Juan blasts around (only because he hasn't learned Kyalami and Mexico yet (!), whereas Milano is the long track with corners......
Old 13 Jan 2003, 17:55 (Ref:473261)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Indeed Aysedasi... Milano is Monza + the oval...

I love the track though. Where else do you get an oval all lined by trees?
Old 13 Jan 2003, 18:43 (Ref:473299)   #22
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Quote:
By the way, I've since realised that Milano and Miloval aren't the same track. Miloval is that easy-peasy flat out oval that Juan blasts around (only because he hasn't learned Kyalami and Mexico yet (!), whereas Milano is the long track with corners......
ooooo-errrrrr...handbags at dawn!!!

Old 14 Jan 2003, 07:38 (Ref:473666)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just thought I'd wind you up ready for Monza tonight........ !
Old 15 Jan 2003, 20:09 (Ref:475491)   #24
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
it didnt work mate

blame it on the baker - he said "we've got a rush on in the bakery - the machines have broken down and i wont be able to play tonight"

Old 16 Jan 2003, 08:39 (Ref:475979)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's a shame Juan. I could have the same problem for the Glen on the 28th. If I can get my meeting over and done with a.s.a.p., I should get back in time to race, but I suspect I will be starting at the back of the grid. We need you and Damon and a couple of others, really. That was my one disappointment from Tuesday night that there were only 5 of us. If we could persuade a couple of others to join - racer69 and Ozy, for example, we could have some real fun!