Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2003, 11:20 (Ref:648216)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss watching Stewart Ford in F1

ive just been recording the 1997 Hungarian GP for Damon ( 10 10ths member )....
There was a good feature on the Murray and Martin show that weekend about Jackie Stewart and his Stewart F1 team, and its made me noticed how much i miss the Stewart F1 team.

They came into F1 from their F3 team set up , produced some lovely looking cars , had some superb results at Monaco and and produced a win with Herbert at the Nurburgring . On top of that , they had a friendly , family atmosphere , Paul Stewart showed exactly how much it meant to him at the teams launch back in 1997 when he broke down in tears as he was giving his speech ..Ive got a documentry somewhere charting Stewart GP first year from concept to launch , i must dig that out sometime !...has anyone else seen that or agree's that Stewart GP has left a hole in F1 that has never been filled...

I Remember at one race , there was a pit lane flood froma sudden down pour , and it was Jackie that was out there with his broom pushing all the water back......how many other team owners would you see doing that ?

I think its a shame that Stewart ever sold out to Ford , i would love to see something like that team , happen again in F1 .
Old 1 Jul 2003, 11:48 (Ref:648255)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree Sato simply due to the fact it was great to have Jackie Stewart back in the paddock. He lives and breathes F1 but it was a shame Ford came along offering lots and lots of money for his team.

Still remember that 1999 Nurburgring race vividly...
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:04 (Ref:648279)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How much we miss the Stewart team is intensified by how badly Jaguar/Ford messed things up.

The emotion of Nurburgring '99 is imprinted in the memory for ever.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:10 (Ref:648293)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss any privateer that has fallen from F1. Yes, that's right, Prost, Arrows, Stewert, Tyrell, Benetton and even those before them. Ideally, of the 12 team slots available, I'd love to see 6 privateers and 6 manufacturers. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but privateers are the backbone of F1.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:13 (Ref:648298)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the manufacturers pull out, there'll be nowt left.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:03 (Ref:648383)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I miss Jaguar not being in F1.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:14 (Ref:648453)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the amount of money needed to stay afloat in F1 these days, I think Stewart would have ended up going the way of Prost or Arrows. At best struggling like Jordan. Selling the team was an economically smart move.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:20 (Ref:648466)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stewart team was excellent, now Sir Jackie is one of my faves of all time, and those white fords were so great to look at, great privateer team, I thought Jackie would have a greater part in the jaguar team, they ceratinly could have used Stewart expertise in chassis building. At least we have Jordan- and bag minardi, bring back Arrows
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:34 (Ref:648484)   #9
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stweart was not going to start an F1 team, the only reason he started an F1 team was with the promise of Ford backing to help him start it, and the Guarentee that ford would by it as the team moved up the grid. He only started the team knowing that ford would assist funding it and that he had a guranteed sale. Stweart was just a front to save face of starting at the back of the grid, once it was moving up it would be called Jaguar and the brand would be "winning" straight away. (yeah that worked)

Credit to stewart and the way he run the team but he didn't gamble like prost or arrows to be run as a priveteer team, he went into it knowing ford would take control.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 16:07 (Ref:648564)   #10
Extra Rib
Rookie

Extra Rib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do I get this right gttouring they sacked all the Stewart staff and employed new designers to create the Jaguar. I understand that a fair percentage of Stewart staff still work there
Old 1 Jul 2003, 17:46 (Ref:648663)   #11
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
privateers are the backbone of F1.
hear hear. I always shout at the telly when they call it a BMW-Williams (even tho' that's it's name).....
Old 1 Jul 2003, 19:42 (Ref:648811)   #12
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss Stewart in F3 too!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 19:44 (Ref:648812)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
yer me 2 , infact i watched it again about 3 months ago on a rainy Saturday afternoon...

great race that one.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 19:51 (Ref:648820)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
I had a bad hangover that day. Watched it with a friend adn we were just discussing how DC would go off if he tried to drive that quick for much longer. A few seconds later. I should not have jumped up so quickly, my head pounded so hard after that for so long.

A fun race. And Johnny! Yeah!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 19:52 (Ref:648821)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Francesca
I miss Stewart in F3 too!
Yes, lots. Now that is a shame (more so that in F1). There were a top team. The standard by which all others were judged.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 20:48 (Ref:648874)   #16
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Nurburgring race from 99 was the one of the best races I have seen Herbert winning the race and barrichello making it a Stewart 1-3, also Marc Gene Getting a point for Mindari ahead of Eddie Irvine.

As For Stewart there were starting to become a good team before there became Jaguar.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 21:35 (Ref:648932)   #17
LittleX
Rookie

LittleX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a shame that we lost Stewart F1. Stewart Racing achieved so much in all formulas they raced in. It would have been nice to see that continue.
But as Extra Rib says, a lot of the old staff are still there at Jags and they are starting to get back on their feet again after all the shake ups of the lst few years.
Here's to Jaguars future successes.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 11:01 (Ref:649431)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stewart are typical fo the kinds of teams that F1 needs more than it realsies. Jackie Stewart's career acheivements are immense in many areas, PSR was a top F3 team with a reputation for nurturing drivers properly and making great talent-spots, and the F1 team continued that. Nurburgring was a fantastic moment, and it' a shamethe whole thing came to an end too soon.