Old 27 Aug 2003, 21:25 (Ref:701160)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy at Forsythe in 2004

I have not seen this posted yet, so...

According to the Brazilian site Speed On Line (hhtp://www.speedonline.com.br), Forsythe announced yesterday that Paul Tracy will race for his team in 2004. Tracy already had a contract with Forsythe until the end of next year.

Tracy confirmed (he had already done it) that Richard Childress invited him to a switch to NASCAR in 2004, lining him together with Kenny Harvick and Robby Gordon (quite a respectable team). Tracy stated that he felt flattered by the invitation, and that he may consider racing at NASCAR in the future - but he would honor his agreement with Forsythe to the end.

The article also hints that Carpentier will also be at Forsythe in 2004.

Speed On Line is a motorsport news agency led by Jorge Kraucher, one of the best Brazilian racing journalists.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 21:30 (Ref:701165)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Muzza...
Thanks for the link, thanks for the translation.

I, myself, have no doubt regarding Forsythe's lineup for next year. Both drivers explicitly signed 2-year contracts. And Gerry ain't goin' nowhere.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 21:37 (Ref:701173)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Muzza! Good to hear, I have my doubts about Carpentier though....if a new sponsor comes in, they may insist on a particular driver, perhaps of a particular nationality and Pat would probably be the first to go... just speculating.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Aug 2003, 22:51 (Ref:701244)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear that PT remains loyal to the series that made him what he is today -- whatever that may be.

Seriously, it may be that Forsythe will move his team out of Babyproof Canada and into more friendly waters, and then he might want to have a citizen of that country as a second driver. But heck, he could just as well start a third car for that guy.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:57 (Ref:701471)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
PT's gonna have to defend his championship, afterall!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 08:56 (Ref:701528)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crickey, Forsythe must be paying him the right amount of green to knock back the Childress drive, a few million people would be fighting over that one...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 11:04 (Ref:701630)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some people it's not all about money, apparently.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:19 (Ref:701722)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it has been public knowledge for ages that he had a contract for next year, why did Forsythe need to announce it?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 13:23 (Ref:701798)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Because with it also being public knowledge of Player's leaving after this year, many media doomsdayers (and their equivalents on this board...) have used it as an opportunity to say that because they lose the sponsor the team will also go, and Tracy and Carpentier will be looking for rides.

I'm 99.9% sure on Tracy being safe.... Carpentier i'm less sure about.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Aug 2003, 15:38 (Ref:701926)   #10
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just a PR move to say they(the team and the series) will be around next year.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 15:45 (Ref:701934)   #11
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Seriously, it may be that Forsythe will move his team out of Babyproof Canada
Um, I know I'm going off topic but can I ask one favour of you, Liz? Could you please cut out the "babyproof Canada" thing? After all I don't think anyone would appreciate it if I started calling the US "the war-mongering States". I see most of the Canadians on this list seem to ignore this and I've tried but it's starting to gnaw on my last nerve and I really would appreciate keeping this kind of political commentary off the list.

Thank you kindly.

I apologize profusely for going off topic and will try never to do so again. Some things just need to be said.

Cheers
Old 28 Aug 2003, 16:01 (Ref:701948)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NM

Last edited by paul-collins; 28 Aug 2003 at 16:02.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Aug 2003, 16:38 (Ref:701982)   #13
Liz
Veteran

OK, I will. Just coming back from Montreal made me overly sensitive to the whole situation, especially with all the talk of us losing the Grand Prix coming right before we went up.

But I have heard that there's talk of Forsythe moving his team out of Canada, in any event. That would give him another few years, as is the case in countries other than Canada, to deal with the sponsorship situation.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 16:48 (Ref:701991)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Forsythe's team is based in Indianapolis though - shop, offices and all. What does he have here? Other than his funding of course...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 20:00 (Ref:702142)   #15
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
OK, I will. Just coming back from Montreal made me overly sensitive to the whole situation, especially with all the talk of us losing the Grand Prix coming right before we went up.

But I have heard that there's talk of Forsythe moving his team out of Canada, in any event. That would give him another few years, as is the case in countries other than Canada, to deal with the sponsorship situation.
Thanks. I wish there was a way for both sides to give a little but that doesn't seem likely to happen. I have friends in Montreal who are really p-o'd by the cancellation. It's also sad that Forsythe will be moving the team but at least (hopefully) both drivers will still be in CART. You can take the team out of Canada but you can't take the Canadian out of the team.

It's good that Tracy will be back, that's a given and I hope Carpentier will be as well. Pat is my favourite driver if only because he has personality x3. If he goes to that other series then I guess I'll never see that gap-toothed grin again.

Oh well, on the bright side if Carpentier leaves it may give another Canadian an opportunity and if not then maybe, just maybe, they'll give Memo a ride. (hope springs eternal)

Cheers
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:16 (Ref:702645)   #16
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, we are war mongers. Just not all of us like it.

Cheers.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 02:00 (Ref:707634)   #17
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crickey, Forsythe must be paying him the right amount of green to knock back the Childress drive, a few million people would be fighting over that one...
-------------------------------------

I doubt PT would have a choice to leave even if he eventually wanted to. PT signed a two year deal and unless Forsyth wants to release PT he's racin' in CART next year.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 02:02 (Ref:707635)   #18
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is replacing Players for Forsythe?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 03:06 (Ref:707652)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Who's replacing Marlboro at Penske?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 04:34 (Ref:707678)   #20
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Touche'
Old 5 Sep 2003, 00:44 (Ref:708613)   #21
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought - is there a loophole in the law so that Players could sponsor the team but not have there name or logo on it but could use the car in say adverts and so forth. Players can still sponsor the cars outside Canada so that solves a few races budget at least and PT and PC are a good pairing if you want to sponsor a CART team.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 02:27 (Ref:708663)   #22
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Who's replacing Marlboro at Penske?
Erm... Marlboro will be the livery for the captian in 2004, maybe 2005. But what about Forsythe? Do they have a primary sponsor signed for the 2004 year?

Last edited by rush1; 5 Sep 2003 at 02:28.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 02:35 (Ref:708669)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they do they certainly won't be announcing it until Player's current deal with the team has run it's course.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Sep 2003, 12:23 (Ref:709060)   #24
VIVA_Carpentier
Rookie

VIVA_Carpentier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Thanks Muzza! Good to hear, I have my doubts about Carpentier though....if a new sponsor comes in, they may insist on a particular driver, perhaps of a particular nationality and Pat would probably be the first to go... just speculating.
I think a little bit like you about Carpentier and the sponsors. I just hope for him that the team Forsythe be honest and if no car/sponsor for him in 2004, they inform him for to search another place at time.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 11:12 (Ref:710008)   #25
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Erm... Marlboro will be the livery for the captian in 2004, maybe 2005. But what about Forsythe? Do they have a primary sponsor signed for the 2004 year?
Marlboro livery will be with the captain, but in IRL or NASCAR ?