Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2000, 13:15 (Ref:356)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From www.itv-f1.com, and also from the Sun (which probably makes it unlikely)

Benetton are supposedly considering replacing Alex Wurz with Antonio Pizzonia, who currently leads the British F3 championship after winning the first two races of the season in his first year in the formula.
Benetton have seen how well the Williams gamble with JB is paying off so far, and may be prepared to take a similar one.

Now Wurz is not doing particularly well this season (he and Johnny Herbert have been having their own private race at the back of the field), but neither in fairness is Fisichella and Wurz seems like quite a talented driver, so why kick him out? And how can Pedro Diniz go to Benetton next season if this Pizzonia guy is in the way?
Old 27 Apr 2000, 18:40 (Ref:357)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched Pizzonia for most of last season, as well as his F3 debut this year, I have to say that this guy is the real deal - undoubtedly he'll be in F1 next season or the year after. I have to think that he is just a little too early for F1 right now, but look how Button has silenced his critics. Give the guy a go and see - he has the talent, all that remains to be seen is if he has the temperament. (and I don't rate Wurz too highly anyway... )
Old 27 Apr 2000, 21:19 (Ref:358)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I would not be surprised at all to see Wurz replaced. Fisichella has continuously out-classed him, and Pizzonia could probably to a better job.
Old 28 Apr 2000, 02:36 (Ref:359)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, I've always liked Wurz, and I think he's better than the results show. I also think that the current cars do not suit his style.
Through the first four races of the season, the qualifying differential average between Fisi and Wurz is the fourth smallest. Remember that though he finished eighth on the track at Australia, that he was less than two seconds behind his fifth placed teammate whose point scoring finish was hailed as the rebirth of the team. This was on a track that saw only one decent pass, Salo's.
I just don't think that Wurz is bad, and I think he could still be great.

For a look at the differentials as posted on Atlas:
http://www.atlasf1.com/2000/bri/borsboom.html

[This message has been edited by EERO (edited 28 April 2000).]
Old 1 May 2000, 13:20 (Ref:360)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think pizzonia is the next big thing, but he's still in training. he'll need a few years in a miardi to get hm up to speed. you can't throw the guy in the deep end.
however, i am not a fan of mr wurz, but he does deserve a drive. he's a bit too smart for f1, and would do nicely in cart.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:10 (Ref:791505)   #6
Martin
Rookie

Martin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironically, this year there was talk of Wurz replacing Pizzonia.... are these two guys running a prviate battle?
Old 22 Nov 2003, 16:15 (Ref:791510)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
apparently MARTIN you are as bored as I am!!! where are all the posters gone?
Old 22 Nov 2003, 17:33 (Ref:791537)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey. This thread was before most of us today were even 'born' on ten-tenths.

Well, Pizzonia said no to a long term contract offer from Briatore which would have seen him replace Wurz for 2001, instead of Button landing the seat. In retrospect, he probably should have accepted. He is a far better driver than Jaguar allowed him to show this season.

Last edited by Raven; 22 Nov 2003 at 17:35.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 17:36 (Ref:791540)   #9
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the hell is going on? I didn't think threads from 3 years ago were saved. Just look what a prophecy Pizzonia turned out to be. NOT.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 19:47 (Ref:792336)   #10
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Crikey. This thread was before most of us today were even 'born' on ten-tenths.
Have I been here too long? Shall I get my coat now?!
Old 23 Nov 2003, 23:09 (Ref:792457)   #11
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DriverT, you know nothing. Pizzonia is one of the most talented drivers in the world.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 10:25 (Ref:792806)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Please don't resort to personal attacks Mackmot. It doesn't look clever.

I was commenting with hindsight on 3 year old posts, telling us about what a revelation Pizzonia was. He came into F1 and didn't do that much, although fair enough, you could argue his car let him down. But I was less than impressed. In fairness, look at what Webber did.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:34 (Ref:792865)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Waken from the dead. Some Wurz fan got this one reactivated ?
Old 24 Nov 2003, 13:22 (Ref:792915)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im confused...and frightened, i remeber the speculation years ago, although i wasn't here, why exactly has this risen again?
Old 24 Nov 2003, 16:04 (Ref:793044)   #15
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its important for you to understand that they were not nearly equal cars. Its not a fair comparison at all.

As I said pizzonia is one of the most talented drivers in the world. His only problem is that he does not perform at all well when he isnt in the right situation. Pizzonia is not that clever and as such can get demoralised easily by a having poor equipment. Typical thick but quick driver, except he is exceptionally quick.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 16:43 (Ref:793074)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trouble is, there's no such thing as thick but quick in modern F1 - there's a lot of technical stuff that just has to be perfect, and the environment has never been more pressurised too. When Webber has seen-off a few more promising talents (as I'm sure he will) we'll look back a bit more kindly on Pizzonia.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 17:13 (Ref:793089)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so this 3yr ols thread chnges direction from a WURZ to Pizzaboy thread....
Old 24 Nov 2003, 17:19 (Ref:793092)   #18
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Yeahhh...
Old 24 Nov 2003, 17:32 (Ref:793109)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So let it rest 3 more years and let's see the outcome...