Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

View Poll Results: What are your views on the new Riverside Motorsports Park?
Honour 1 16.67%
Blasphemy 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Dec 2003, 20:20 (Ref:820889)   #1
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The New Riverside: Honour or Blasphemy?

A new motorsports complex has been proposed for California, using the name Riverside Motorsports Park, and borrowing heavily in name and track design from the Riverside track which hosted Formula 1, IndyCar, NASCAR and other major races from 1957 to 1988.

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/News/news_id104.html

I was just wondering what the views of 10/10th members were on the creation of this new track.

Is this a sign that the original Riverside's major part in US motorsport's rich history is now finally being honoured, like the memorial that has recently been built, that will allow this famous name to carry on?

Or is it a shameful and soul-less attempt from the corporate men to cash in on the sport's history and promote just another race facility, that will lake the character of its predecessor? This quotation certainly seems to suggest that to me...
Quote:
RMP hopes to trade on the historic circuit's name
Will it only serve to dim the rose-tinted memories, and should memories should be left unaltered and that this track should never be built?

AFAIK, there has only been one attempt similar to this to build a track under the same name in a different location - a subsitutue Monza in the 70's (http://www.racingcircuits.net/Italy/MonzaAlt1978.html). This track never came to fruition, and the world of motorsport is no worse off for it, so should this new Riverside plan do so?

Your views please.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 27 Dec 2003, 02:51 (Ref:821059)   #2
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks to me as if it is a cynical attempt to cash in on a name.

However, as it apparently bears no relationship to the closing of riverside, I have to ask whether this proposal is gong to increase interest in The Sport's history or not? If the answer is that it will increase John Q Public's perception then maybe I should reluctantly vote yes.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 21:39 (Ref:821468)   #3
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been so much easier and cheaper for them to design a circuit from scratch rather than try to replicate the original layout, so I say “well done” to them. I hope the circuit is eventually built.

I think that the Riverside name and history will otherwise just slowly fade away.

Chris.
www.MotorsportArchive.com
Old 27 Dec 2003, 22:23 (Ref:821486)   #4
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be great to have another track, but I don't think the Riverside name should be used..
Old 28 Dec 2003, 00:04 (Ref:821528)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
%#(&)*&%(&^$(*&^

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Type
It looks to me as if it is a cynical attempt to cash in on a name.

Having worked the original circuit as a marshal in 1960, 1961 & 1962 I believe I am qualified to say ***s off!

Nice idea, but that's all.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 16:38 (Ref:822633)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So another racetrack in Northern California?

Why is no one investing in a roadracing facility nearer to Los Angeles?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Dec 2003, 19:35 (Ref:822754)   #7
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
So another racetrack in Northern California?

Why is no one investing in a roadracing facility nearer to Los Angeles?
:confused: Have you looked at land prices anywhere in California? Then there are multiple enviornmental regulations that apply specifically to the LA area. How fat is YOUR checkbook?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 21:00 (Ref:822809)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I expected it would largely be about land prices, but I don't know the sprawl's extent.

LA has problems with smog, yes? Maybe, since racing is the expression of automotive innovation, they should sell it as an environmental plus! You know, learning to get better mileage (Audi R8), lower emissions (diesel race engines?), alternative fuels (Nasamax)... Maybe even get Kyoto credits for racing?

Anyway, if Riverside isn't for Los Angeles, I don't care about it. Makes me think of a local golf course, Woodensticks - recreating "great holes from around the world." Bah.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James