Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 30 Dec 2003, 21:23 (Ref:823889)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is MotoGP racing more processional than Superbike racing?

Yeah, I know that 125 racing is just as good as Superbike racing. But most MotoGP races I've seen tend to be more processional than Superbike racing. Brno was a brilliant race, but that is more the exception rather than the rule. Generally Superbikes tend to dart round a lot more than GP bikes when they are racing each other.Is it the fact that MotoGP bikes are heavier and less manoeuvourable than Superbikes or something? Or is it because MotoGP uses twistier circuits? I'm not sure.:confused:

Last edited by Yoong Montoya; 30 Dec 2003 at 21:25.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 23:27 (Ref:824022)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its because Superbikes are road bikes therefore they're performances are alot closer. With all the new technical regs in motogp its a question of how much money each manufacture is willing to spend. Motogp bikes are all prototypes so there aren't many regulations they must conform too like superbikes do. The bridge between Honda and Suzuki/Kawasaki/Proton shows what money + development can do!
Old 31 Dec 2003, 10:01 (Ref:824377)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't say SB is any closer than GP to be honest.
Only reason GP is processional is coz of Rossi a lot of the time.
If you like at WSB you have had Foggy, Bayliss, Edwards and this year Hodge and Xaus miles in front a few times.
The best bikes and the best riders will always pull away, fact of life.
Ducati beat the likes of Kawasaki and Suzuki by miles in 2001, just like the Honda did in GP and they were all running to the same rules.
Same in any form of racing really
Old 4 Jan 2004, 11:25 (Ref:827273)   #4
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that as racing vehicles are built progressively closer to technical perfection there is an ever greater likelyhood that the racing will be processional. They are more precise in their behavior and offer less scope for taking advantage of wayward behavior. Also MotoGP bikes are all designed from scratch to the same technical formula. Superbikes by comparason are developed versions of road bikes which are designed to different specifications and even different engine sizes.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:30 (Ref:828881)   #5
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatly it has lost it's manufacturers backing,TV and just about all of it's good riders.The riders are far more skilled at the high end of MotoGP than WSB. Just look at the results of past WSB champions.Some do well and some are on pretty average m/c. Bayliss did well on the Duke and probally better than many expected but his team mate put up a pretty good case also and he is hardly a young fellow now having been on the GP scene for many years.
People are no longer interested in WSB in the huge numbers that once were enjoyed.Phillip Island GP v WSB ,big difference in crowd,facilitys,entertaiment and general atmosphere in the town.I used to love the WSB and travel to as many rounds as I could but now I can't even see it on TV so it just creeps up on you and I don't end up going.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 6 Jan 2004, 23:03 (Ref:829980)   #6
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say the main reasons this past season were

i) Honda.
ii) Rossi.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 23:33 (Ref:830008)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
its a pity about wsb - why cant they just run production 1000's and 600's - chuck in some sidecars...
Old 7 Jan 2004, 10:51 (Ref:830338)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rules for SBK lend themselves to closer racing by being more limiting in how they control the bikes (weight, size, etc). It's similar to F1 and CART in a way.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 12:36 (Ref:830394)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MotoGP has been processional the past couple of seasons, but the 500cc class in it's final 3-4 years was almost as good as the 125cc. It's a shame they canned the formula to be honest, as Honda, Yamaha and even Suzuki were all competitive...
Old 8 Jan 2004, 21:16 (Ref:831999)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Give WSB a chance, in a few years it will be good again. The Japs will ot stay away for long, they can't afford to. When they see the crowds are not falling as they won't, then the big four will come back.
THey just in very typical Japanese fashion threw their teddies out coz they didn't get what they wanted and it is an easy excuse to save some money.
In fiscal terms you spend a few million on WSB compared to tens of million on GP. Yam, Honda Suzuki and Yamaha are all in GP and could all do with those few mill spent on riders or development. A quikck paddie at the rules being changed let's Ducati have an easy ride (they do anyway) the teams to build the bikes well and test secretly to the new rules.
There is no way you will not see the Japanese in any form of Superbike racing again. All teh national championships run to WSB ish rules, they just threw a wobbler coz they could and it saves them money

Last edited by f1manoz; 8 Jan 2004 at 23:16.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:31 (Ref:834561)   #11
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference is like between touring cars and formula 1, I think.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:02 (Ref:835692)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Good comparison 429, especially when you consider the production/prototype specs of the two categories.
Wouldn't it be great if you get the amount of manufacturers involved in tourers involved in WSB!