Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Mar 2004, 02:29 (Ref:897626)   #1
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Premier Racing Series for 2004

I posted this on V8 Central but I would appreciate anyone who knows more details adding the two cents. Perhaps Kayne Scott you could clear up the Trans Am side of the new Premier Racing Series but if one Knows more about Car numbers, TV Deal, Sponsorship or support categories it would be appreciated.

I am trying to find out as much as I can in regards to the F4000 series but information is a little obscurer. The F4000 series will always struggle when you look at the fact the new chassis in F3000 the Dallara will not fit the V6 Holden Engine. This means the class is restricted to the older Reynards. The Reynards are being snapped up especially in the US so there are not that many left in Australia. If the series does Kick off the best you could hope for would be at most 20 Cars. Hocking Motorsport I believe have 3 cars and I believe will run all three. One car for Rob Nygen returning from F3000 in Europe and another Akai Asai but no news on the third car. No word from Ralt who ran two cars last year one of which was for Daniel Gaunt who I will probably run for BRM in F3 this year. I did hear that one of the Silver star cars was for sale I think Ian Peters. 11 Cars ran at the season Final Eastern Creek of which Peter Hills and Simon Kane where once offs. Looks like 8 or 9 regular grid size for F4000.

The Support Events are listed as Commodore Cup 3 rounds (Winton, OP, EC) All though Phillip Island have them listed but this event is just before the Commodore Cups final round at Mallala (Konica Meeting). Sports Sedans are listed as the major support category. This year Sports Sedans have been downgraded from a National Championship to a sereis. There will be more emphasis on Trans Am cars with a couple of Australian's purchasing cars. Although the New Zeland Trans Am (3 I think competed in 2003) cars look like dropping out of the series with the talk that kayne Scott won't be running and another of the cars than ran in OZ is for sale. There were a total of 28 competitors last year for sports sedans David Thexton will probably avoid running this year as last year he ran an EL to get some mileage and Rob Smith ran his VS as the cars where on the Konica program. With these drop outs and a couple of new guys I wouldn't expect the Sports Sedans to be much different from last year.

The Alan Hamilton Toyota project was being worked on for the last couple of years. It looks like a good car but with little publicity of late I doubt there is enough Cars around ( I think there is only a couple built) to run a series.

The First round of the series for F4000 will be the support event for the Truck Races at Mallala. The TV deal is still pending but they have support from Holden, which would probably cover the cost of the bill to CAMS for the Gold Star.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:01 (Ref:897679)   #2
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
An interesting part of the TV package is that F4000 affordability and availability to cover the series would require some sort of deal with AVE. The interesting part is AVE is owned by Procar International Sports Media. Procar run the Formula 3 championship which was vying with F4000 for the Gold Star. F4000 where awarded the Gold Star by CAMS on the basis of a suitable business plan that involved putting together a series with good coverage. If F4000 falls over F3 will naturaly get the Gold Star. There has been no TV deal announced as yet and we are less than two months from the first F4000 event. If anyone knows any news on developments I would encourage them to share it with us.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:09 (Ref:897683)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Holden possibly looking at doing something with the Elfin Streamliner now? Or was that just a PR jobbie?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:51 (Ref:897697)   #4
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
It wouldn't qualify for the Gold Star and looks remarably like the Toyota that Alan Hamilton has built. But it would be good to see the Elfin name at the forefornt of motor racing in Australia again.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 05:33 (Ref:920917)   #5
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
From www.racenews.com.au

Formula 4000
Mar 26 2004
FORMULA 4000 HEADING TO CHINA IN ‘04

Formula 4000 powered by Holden will enter an exciting new era in 2004. Australia’s fastest and most prestigious open wheel category has not only chosen to compete in the new Australian Premier Racing Series but is also expanding its operations into Asia. The 2004 season will see no less than two rounds of the newly formed ‘Formula 4000 Asian Series’ to be conducted in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). A further opportunity exists to host other rounds throughout Asia, to expand the F4000 Asian Series. The Asian Series will be run in conjunction with the Holden Australian Drivers’ Championship (HADC). The HADC will be run between May and August followed by the Asian Series later in the year.

Independence from the V8 Supercar Series has enabled F4000 to obtain an greater degree of freedom, which has created the opportunity for the category to gain profile through out Asia, especially in China. Mr Benny Leung, Marketing Director of China Development Corporation (CDC) has introduced F4000 to China having also been instrumental in the negotiations for the planned V8 Supercar event. Mr Leung stated, “Most Chinese people following motor sport are open wheeler fans. The introduction of Formula 1 to the PRC saw over 150,000 tickets sold seven months prior to the event. With Formula 4000 being the fastest category in Australia and one step removed from Formula 1, it will be ideal to capitalize on the popularity of ‘formula’ racing in China”. Mr Leung also confirmed that F4000 will be the first Australian based motor racing series to contest a race in China this year.

Formula 4000, which recently confirmed that it will continue to contest the CAMS Gold Star, Australia’s most prestigious motor sport award, is excited about the forthcoming Chinese events. Mr Chris Hocking, President of the F4000 Association said, “The longevity and stability of F4000 together with the ever growing interest in motor racing in the PRC meant that it was a natural progression. China is a market leader in the areas of manufacturing and foreign investment. Exposing F4000 to this economic environment will ensure the continued growth of the category.”
Old 27 Mar 2004, 06:10 (Ref:920934)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't a 'Round' to the F4000 guys a RAce though?

Thus 2 rounds is usually 2 races at the same meeting on the same day.

This way it artificially inflates the number of rounds the series contests.

IMHO - if this is the case it is clearly a case of deception.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 06:25 (Ref:920940)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Isn't a 'Round' to the F4000 guys a RAce though?

Thus 2 rounds is usually 2 races at the same meeting on the same day.

This way it artificially inflates the number of rounds the series contests.

IMHO - if this is the case it is clearly a case of deception.
Would this not depend on how many qualifying sessions there are though. eg...one session for race 1, one session for race 2?