Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 20:34 (Ref:986673)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
New Qualifying System from British GP onwards...!

Just read over on Autosport.com that from Silverstone onwards there will be 2 20 minute sessions with a 20 min break in between.

They will not run with race fuel.
Old 28 May 2004, 20:58 (Ref:986684)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff - just to add each driver must complete 6 laps in each session - fastest aggregate time gets pole. So if you blow up early in the first 20mins you're stuffed...
Not too sure about the 20min gap though - bit long for an advert break...!
Old 28 May 2004, 21:04 (Ref:986689)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superb news, that's exactly what I wanted .
Old 28 May 2004, 21:09 (Ref:986694)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
guess they decided they couldn't make Ferrari lose
Old 28 May 2004, 21:12 (Ref:986695)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the cars still have to start on the same tyres they qual with?
Old 28 May 2004, 21:35 (Ref:986710)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aggregate times is silly.

Pole should be about the fastest lap.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:41 (Ref:986714)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will be interesting to see how the aggregate thing works. Particularly in regards to how it's displayed on screen.

It's got to be better than what we've got anyway.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:54 (Ref:986721)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Aggregate times is silly.

Pole should be about the fastest lap.
Double the fun now, it'll be about the fastest two laps!
Old 28 May 2004, 21:55 (Ref:986725)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rewarding consistency.

Hmmm, sorry. Can't see Michael suffering in any way there. Lets think of something else...

How about colour coded qualifying? Yellow cars at the front, blue in the middle, red at back? (Black and silver in the pits since they'll blow up anyway)
Old 28 May 2004, 23:03 (Ref:986777)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Double the fun now, it'll be about the fastest two laps!
thats more like it !.....yipeeeeeeee

Last edited by Sato san; 28 May 2004 at 23:06.
Old 28 May 2004, 23:08 (Ref:986780)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Wasn't paying much attention...reading through again...

20 mins, every car MUST set 6 laps in each session?

Well, no problem regarding cars not being on track anymore- just imagine, it's coming back "he was in my way", "some Minardi blocked my fastest lap"...etc etc.

If you don't set 12 laps (with inny and outtie?) what happens?

I'm presuming that if there is a 'minimum' of this sort, the old 12 lap maximum probably won't exist?

Last edited by Hazard; 28 May 2004 at 23:09.
Old 28 May 2004, 23:18 (Ref:986786)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah, I wanted this two, 20-30 minute sprint sessions
Old 29 May 2004, 00:20 (Ref:986810)   #13
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes, and the engine has to last the weekend too!
Old 29 May 2004, 01:15 (Ref:986843)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news! Flat out is the way qualifying should be.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 May 2004, 08:05 (Ref:986975)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Flat out quly should be great!!!... and as slicktoast out the engine will have to last the weekend too... i can see there will be a lot more penalties handed out but most probably not to Ferraris...
Old 29 May 2004, 09:29 (Ref:987031)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like a format with Aggregate times. They make the qualifying to difficult to watch for the normal people.
Old 29 May 2004, 09:58 (Ref:987053)   #17
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what about the one engine-rule? This rule can cause troubles with this qualifying format. If a drivers goes off in the first session, and he has to take the spare car in the second session, he will also take a new engine.
Old 29 May 2004, 12:06 (Ref:987151)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a good basic idea but I think each session should be 30 minutes.....
Old 29 May 2004, 13:44 (Ref:987208)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1 hour was too long for 12 laps - there was too mcuh time with no cars on the track - so I think 20 minutes would be spot on.

I don't think this change should be made midseason, as that'd cause too much confusion and unevenness. Also, as Brundle pointed out in qualifying, teams with smaller fuel tanks will suffer unfairly by not being able to run as long in the races.
Old 29 May 2004, 13:44 (Ref:987209)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
It's a good basic idea but I think each session should be 30 minutes.....
and perhaps run the second one immediately after the first. A sort of 1 hour qualifying session.

I like the idea, in that it is better than the current one.

However I have my reservations about the aggregate timing too.

Anyway it should be fun and get the cars on track and going for it!

Last edited by Adam43; 29 May 2004 at 13:46.
Old 29 May 2004, 13:51 (Ref:987216)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would they have unlimited laps? Or is it 12 laps?

If it is just the 12 laps then 20 minutes is fine!

(I can't be bothered opening the Autosport page, the computers all crashy!)
Old 29 May 2004, 17:50 (Ref:987413)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Is it 6 laps minimum, or maximum of 6 laps?
Old 29 May 2004, 22:01 (Ref:987625)   #23
1 Lotus
Rookie

1 Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose I could be mistaken, but I think they will only assist Ferrari in their championship by this change. The suggested changes don't seem to consider that Ferrari at every event have gone out and set times quicker that everyone else, sometimes grossly faster, and then began working on race set-up and strategy.

Teams like Williams, McLaren (when they were on their best)and even BAR and Renault do not seem to have a car so well suited to every venue that they can take it off of the trailer and go fast - they need time and Ferrari seems to not need time.
Old 29 May 2004, 22:34 (Ref:987644)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They'll still be the same amount of testing before hand, I'm not sure how it will aid Ferrari (?). Its the same for everyone.

Do we know if all the other parc ferme rules will still apply (apart from the fuel one)? And if not will ew see a return of warm-up on Sunday morning?
Old 30 May 2004, 00:52 (Ref:987686)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Parc ferme rules will still apply, yes.

They're a sensible way of stopping ridiculous expense on qualifying parts for the cars.
Closed Thread