Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:01 (Ref:1049567)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Official: Webber signed to Williams for 2005 and beyond

Well, the announcement is official.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=58700

Here's looking forward to 2005!

Good luck to him. I'm sure he'll do us proud!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1049570)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well that has to be the worst kept secret in F1.

Congratulations Mark, I'm sure you will do well. Any idea how long the contract is for?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1049576)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wha? How? When? Blimey, who'd have guessed that? I'm shocked I thought it would be Jaques Villeneauve and Jos Verstappen.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1049581)   #4
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
roll on 2005
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1049583)   #5
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow I really never saw this one coming

hope he has better luck at Williams than he does done these past few years at Jag
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1049591)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
'2005 and beyond' is all I can find. Anyone got something more than that?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1049592)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You just have to read the Jaguar statement about Mark leaving against the same kind of thing about Trulli going.... you can tell which team is sorry their driver is leaving...

Well done for these guys to finally get all the details right

All we need now is a white hot teammate....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:28 (Ref:1049598)   #8
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to him I hope he does well......I'm also hoping that he will get a decent team mate so as we can judge his true talent, and for someone to push him hard.

2005 will be a good year I think with all these driver changes, but Ferrari should be laughing as they will be stronger than ever I think with no changes being made.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1049603)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Mark, next year we will have the 3 W's, Webber, Williams and Winning all rolled into 1
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1049604)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[sarcasm]What a shocking revelation, i certainly didn't see that one coming!

Knocked me socks straight off!![/sarcasm]

Should prove to be very interesting as to who's joining him next year...
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1049605)   #11
amaroo
Rookie

amaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Mark, even more incentive now to fight the sandman late on Sunday nights. Lets hope he emulates the AJ / Williams success with a title !! You watch the development of these cars now, Webber / Sam Michael.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1049628)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
'2005 and beyond' is all I can find. Anyone got something more than that?
It seems they are being a bit secretive. All the sites are quoting the BMW Williams press release which doesn't give any more info than that.

Offical, but still not quite clear. You've got to admire their style.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1049632)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if it's a "rolling contract" with options on both sides at strategic periods?

I could quite easily see Williams and Webber being together for the rest of his career.

Lets just hope Frank and Patrick don't expect him to be Alan Jones!

Good luck Mark.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1049639)   #14
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!
He will do a great job @ williams IMHO. He has the tallent, the determination and now the car to win races. BRING ON 2005

Last edited by ozrevhead; 28 Jul 2004 at 10:13.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1049652)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Lets just hope Frank and Patrick don't expect him to be Alan Jones!
Why would you wish that on poor Mark?

This is it for Mark, make or break time. Its possible (like many others) he will fail to live up to the massive expectation being thrust opon him. He is now (likely) team leader for a top team, something he has never been before.

As well as running at the pointy end with some of the best drivers in the world, he has the added pressure of the world media, all waiting to tear strips of him for the slightest mistake (as we have seen with Michael, Kimi and Montoya).

Personally, IMO he will florish in his new team, and they will prosper accordingly. I think (part) of the problems at Williams over the last couple of years has been the driver line-up, with 2 drivers that were far too self-centered for a Williams inviroment.

Funnily, I think we will see steps forward from all concerned here, including Juan and Ralf in their new teams. Williams will have a breath of fresh air, not unlike the one that swept through BAR this season.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1049657)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with that analysis, Wrex.

Mark seems like the type of no-nonsense driver who will flourish at Grove.

Big question is now, who'll be his teammate.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1049659)   #17
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well done Mark (read my signing IT WILL HAPPEN)

IMHO Mark is the real deal and will prove it with BMW Power I can not wait for the Oz GP

BRING IT ON
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1049701)   #18
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS: I could not imagine what it would be like if Mark was able to win at Albert Park - it would be the most unbelievable experience ever!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1049708)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by amaroo
Congrats Mark, even more incentive now to fight the sandman late on Sunday nights. Lets hope he emulates the AJ / Williams success with a title !! You watch the development of these cars now, Webber / Sam Michael.
Go to www.formula1.com They've got a short profile of Australia's greatest F1 star after Sir Jack.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1049737)   #20
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
congrats Mark and Williams. I have a feeling this will be the beggining of a long and successful combination. Lets hope next years car is better than this years.
I think Mark is a great driver but i doubt he can do more with the car than JPM has done as far as driving goes. It may take a little while for ALL of Marks qualitys to filter through Williams and turn them into a winning team.

Bring on next year

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1049750)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess any F1 fan was expecting this... congratulations Mark Webber !
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1049759)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mark's best ever race result in F1 remains 5th for Minardi at the 2002 Australian Grand Prix.

Will he beat that for Jaguar before he leaves the team?
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1049760)   #23
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cool
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1049788)   #24
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to have it finally confirmed. Even tho as a Jag fan I'm kinda sad to see him go it had to happen & I can't wait to see him out there in a decent car.
Go Mark!!!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1049797)   #25
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Mark's best ever race result in F1 remains 5th for Minardi at the 2002 Australian Grand Prix.

Will he beat that for Jaguar before he leaves the team?
From a sheer results standpoint I doubt it but from a sheer accomplishment standpoint, I think the 6th place in the last race is not too far off if not better. In the 2002 Australian Grand Prix, there were only 8 cars that finished he beat a toyota, the second Minardi (Yoong) and a fading Jaguar.

In the german grandprix (only 3 retirements mind you)....enter laundry list:

- A Ferrari
- 2 more "Blue" Ferraris
- A BMW
- A Renault which he overtook
- and a BAR which he passed as well.

Pretty impressive.