Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1672189)   #1
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV - Is it over?

The mods may feel free to merge this one as well with the "Kubica to replace JV in Hungary" thread but the problem with that other thread, as also noticed by Boot, is that the news of this great opportunity for Kubica and the joy of Kubica's fans are mingled with the news about and bitterness of some of us as to JV's precarious situation.

Insofar as concerns JV thus, R. Tremblay of Montreal La Presse wrote yesterday that he had contacted JV over the telephone in Switzerland about the BMW initial press release. According to the journalist, JV was taken aback hearing the quote from MT that no decisions had been taken by BMW as to who would complete the season. He refused to comment and gave the journalist Pollock's telephone number who also refused to comment.

This morning Sports' section of LaPresse's titles "Radio Silence on Villeneuve's side". There is also this recent link to the German press which seems to suggest (I would appreciate if someone who speaks German could confirm or infirm my understanding of it) that according to BMW JV had advised he had a headchache after the crash on Sunday evening. Pollock seems to be denying that (or was he simply saying that it in fact did not go well at the time) but I am not sure about that.

http://www.adrivo.com/f1/artikel/artikel.php?ID=35978

Why is it always so complicated with JV's future???? I was supposed to go to Brasil to watch him live for his last GP such that I would like to know before it's too late whether JV will be there or not. Montoya fans too had probably done similar arrangements such that I can't believe no one in f1 realises that they are aggravating those without valid reasons (Come on Herr Theissen, don't tell me you truly believe it will improve the team's standing in the WDC title race by substituting JV by Kubica now? Oh... I see, it distracts people's attention from the fact that BMW's car & engines are not progessing while those of the other teams are.)

Last edited by Louis B.; 3 Aug 2006 at 14:44.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1672208)   #2
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Unfortunately, it's again in German but please see below more hints from MT that it may be over for JV. While he didn't commit itself (after having set afire the news line earlier this week), his "nothing in life is guaranteed" will certainly not defuse the situation. I look forward to reading an accurate English translation of the comments he made in the interview he gave today to the German press.

http://www.adrivo.com/f1/artikel/artikel.php?ID=35985
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1672260)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Life goes on, all things must pass...
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1672263)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i too hope that JV's F1 career is not over.
a few things that still give give me hope - albeit i feel as though im clinging to straws.

-if he has been so unceremoniously dropped - i imagine he would be more vocal about it. whether that come in the form of criticism of the BMW team or his relationship with Dr.T, or just even a more contemplative response concerning his his F1 and racing career overall.

-could cause problems with Intel - additional costs of removing/replacing JV adverts commercials etc. why upset your relationship with your sponsor unless you dont have too.

-a bit of a carry over here - BMW is a new team, and it could be possibly detrimental in the long run to be seen as a team that reacts this way when things are not exactly going their way.

- he has already proven to be a match of his teammate and while he has struggled at times, my impression he has been let down more by his equipment than the other way around.

i agree all pretty flimsy reasons, but hope is hope

if it proves to be he is out, i think i would rather see him take a few years off and enter GP Masters races ( if they are still around) and Le Mans rather than a move to Nascar.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1672282)   #5
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Life goes on, all things must pass...
Fine, but what about seeing the movie until the end for a change? Don't you have enough of someone else zapping with the remote control without paying any attention to the fact that others are also watching.

Anyhow, below is a link to the English version of the above earlier reports in German.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...VE.XML&src=rss
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1672283)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
all things must pass...
Except for Formula One cars.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1672300)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think JV has had his time called at BMW. They didn't want him before the season began and they still don't want him it seems.

Its a shame, as I think hes a great character, a good racer and has done a excellent job in 2006, JV is OK in my book.

Last edited by Sodemo; 3 Aug 2006 at 16:54.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1672338)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Come on guys, who said it's over ? Just let it come true and then...
Old 3 Aug 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1672341)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst it doesn't look terribly promising, you never know what might happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if JV was back this season, but then I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1672345)   #10
Blaf
Rookie

Blaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Theissen wanted to try Kubica this year. Villeneuve's accident gave him the reason to do it this week-end. But this is risky for Kubica too. Maybe his performance will convince Theissen he's not ready for the real thing. Maybe someone else will replace Jacques. Or maybe MT will be convinced that Jacques is his man for next year too.

PR is not Theissen's cup of tea. And he seems to like playing with people future. Last year, everybody was sure he wanted to hire someone else. Bourdais thought so. Wheldon too. He didn't. We won't know what's in this guy head until he makes an official statement.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1672355)   #11
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But MT has already made an official statement... and if you read just slightly between the lines, he is saying Kubica has the seat until he proves he is not yet ready for F1. It doesn't look good for JV at BMW-Sauber, not that it ever did in MT's eyes.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1672387)   #12
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do find it a little strange that JV didn't make a public statement
that he's injured and won't race this weekend.

I think JV will be back in his seat this year.
As for next year ???
JV really needs to do well.
Better than NH , matching Nick is just not enough.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1672412)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If we don't see JV again this season i think it will be totally unfair. Whilst i never expected him to race for BMW in '07 i think he's done a good job for the team this season, and deserves his seat back once he's fit again.

JV, give a NASCAR team owner a call, it seems the "fasionable" thing to do these days
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1672417)   #14
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this whole saga just brings back memories of JV and David Richards. *sigh*
-
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1672442)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ok, Ok... you JV fans stop being so negative... all this bad energy.

There's still hope, and nothing has been said yet.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1672444)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Peter Windsors point of view on the JV situation.And some other interesting stuff.A good read.http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?T...om&PO_ID=36899
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1672449)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
If we don't see JV again this season i think it will be totally unfair. Whilst i never expected him to race for BMW in '07 i think he's done a good job for the team this season, and deserves his seat back once he's fit again.
Although this is not necessarily a bad thing for JV..... his last memory will be one of an unlucky for not getting another year...a scapegoat....
better than having a terrible season and no one wanting you back...

this is assuming he has been dumped...
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1672468)   #18
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ok, Ok... you JV fans stop being so negative... all this bad energy.
okay, I'm going to try it Bon's way ... sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everywhere ... nope, didn't work. JV's toast.
-
Old 3 Aug 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1672513)   #19
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Peter Windsors point of view on the JV situation.And some other interesting stuff.A good read.http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?T...om&PO_ID=36899
A good read my eye! (I must say though that I only read his comments on JV & RK)

It's funny (actually it's not funny at all) to see how easy it is to fall on someone's back when someone else has led the way (here MT). Once the first stone has been thrown, everyone else appears to join happily in the stoning party. Here Mr. Windsors is making irony out of the fact that JV said after qually that he could not do any better with the car. The fact of the matter though is that neither NH nor RK did any better with a BMW car during qually or practice.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1672519)   #20
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Although this is not necessarily a bad thing for JV..... his last memory will be one of an unlucky for not getting another year...a scapegoat....
better than having a terrible season and no one wanting you back...
More irony I guess. The fact is that he is (or was ) not having a terrible season.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1672533)   #21
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
okay, I'm going to try it Bon's way ... sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everywhere ... nope, didn't work. JV's toast.
-
*and the sky will get obscured by vultures circling in the sky predicted the old man *

Hello QuickSilver, we had not heard from you for ages!

Last edited by Louis B.; 3 Aug 2006 at 20:54.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1672555)   #22
2fast
Rookie

2fast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's always nascar. I really think JV was just as fast, and most of the time in qualifying faster than Nick. Hope he comes back and finish the year (and possibly his carrer) off in style.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1672561)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JV has matched Nick so far this season. If Mario has axed him this way, it would be incredibly underhand and devious behaviour, which I hope potential drivers and sponsors do not forget. Most likely explanation is that JV's Hockenheim crash is being used as an opportunity to try Robert (at the closest thing he has to a home race), btu I doubt they've ruled out making it a permenant switch if he does really well.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1672573)   #24
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
In my arms Boots, I knew you and I would one day connect!

Last edited by Louis B.; 3 Aug 2006 at 21:18.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1672579)   #25
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe he really is unable to race though?

It would be a shame for JV to go out this way, he's done very well this year. Although as for 2007, it's BMW or nowhere I think...at least as far as F1 is concerned.
Closed Thread