Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1371538)   #1
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari - Bad Sports

Is it just me or is everyone a little dissapointed in Ferrari. They have decided to continue through the summer testing ban. (along with testing during the week of the Grand Prix)
Yes we all know its only voluntary, but over the past few seasons every team has obided by it.
(there have been a few exceptions. I think Minardi tested last year but with the approval of all the other teams. I believe it was to get enough miles on one of their drivers so they could qualify for a superlicence or something along those lines)

Its only now that Ferrari arent doing too well that they decide to ignore it and continue testing.
Yeah you can go on about the "gang of 9" wanting to change testing rules and all that, but the way i see it was the summer testing ban is spearate to that to give the team members a break and spend time with their families. I dont think anyone was trying to change that. But Ferrari use the disagreement over testing limits to just go all out and test whenever and wherever.
Bad sportsmanship in my book.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1371540)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ask the Ferrari mechanics.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1371550)   #3
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
id think that during any testing ban, the drivers get a holiday, however the team personnel would have to work twice as hard, designing and computer simulating components before manufacturing them, wind tunnel testing them and then returning to the drawing board again to perfect them further
Old 4 Aug 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1371554)   #4
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ferrari have never agreed to ang "gentleman's agreement"
Ferrari are not the only ones to test outside this "agreement"

I'm sure that the other teams are testing with wind tunnels, bench testing, post testing ...

Ferrari are just doing it with cars on the track... Why is that so different ?

DKGandBH
Old 4 Aug 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1371558)   #5
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when you see people taking breaks in an "open" formula racing is when you see them at the back of the grid.

hell i'm surprised they don't run 2 test teams everyday on fiorano and mugello 7 days a week considering they're so behind this year.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1371567)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
when you see people taking breaks in an "open" formula racing is when you see them at the back of the grid.

hell i'm surprised they don't run 2 test teams everyday on fiorano and mugello 7 days a week considering they're so behind this year.
Not that far behind
Old 4 Aug 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1371568)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell
Is it just me or is everyone a little dissapointed in Ferrari. They have decided to continue through the summer testing ban. (along with testing during the week of the Grand Prix)
Yes we all know its only voluntary, but over the past few seasons every team has obided by it.

But Ferrari use the disagreement over testing limits to just go all out and test whenever and wherever.
Bad sportsmanship in my book.
This is a more complicated issue than just Ferrari vs the rest. Basically, the one tyre per race rule has left Bridgestone short of testing miles to develop the tyre. Te contribution of the two tail end teams is insignificant, and Ferrari has to go out to try to run up enough miles to provide the data to develop a Bridgestone to match Michelin's trye. You see!! Michelin have 6 competitive teams at least from which the testing data is very vital to tyre development - that's a helluva lot more miles they can run up.

Of course, we can all argue that it is this Ferrari + Bridgestone exclusivity that they have created, but that doesn't really solve the issues.

If I was in charge of the team, I'd do the same thing.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 03:06 (Ref:1371569)   #8
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
Michelin have 6 competitive teams.
Which one did you exclude ?

DKGandBH
Old 4 Aug 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1371570)   #9
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH

DKGandBH
I would assume Sauber. RBR had a great start to the season but its performance has declined considerably in recent months. It is more or less on par with Sauber now. Would Williams be considered a "competitive" team right now? It has scored points in only one of the last five races.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1371573)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

DKGandBH
There is no full stop after the "6 teams". I said 6 teams at least. I chose 6 simply because some teams didn't have the money earlier on to run full testing programs.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 03:14 (Ref:1371574)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
I would assume Sauber. RBR had a great start to the season but its performance has declined considerably in recent months. It is more or less on par with Sauber now. Would Williams be considered a "competitive" team right now? It has scored points in only one of the last five races.
They are competitive in comparison to the two minnows running Bridgestones.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1371577)   #12
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True.

Out of curiousity, how does the budget for Jordan compare to the budgets for Sauber and RBR? I know Minardi's budget is extremely small but Jordan should be fairly close to Sauber and RBR, perhaps even ahead of them in terms of funding, due to its far better history.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 04:40 (Ref:1371595)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Prior to the Midland takeover, Jordan's budget had got pitiful (really not THAT far above Minardi's).

In 2005, what is Midland's budget? I don't know, but, for sure, if they wanted to spend a lot then they could - the potential funds from the controling corporations is rather large if elected to go that route.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 05:13 (Ref:1371606)   #14
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Not that far behind
but still behind enough to be the third best team on the grid

that's far enough for them i reckon.. last thing they need is for the toyota to legitimately quicker than em
Old 4 Aug 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1371634)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There has already a thread on this: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71888
Check it out to see other's opinions on this.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1371717)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
There has already a thread on this: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71888
Check it out to see other's opinions on this.

True!! that thread appears to be dead and buried and unless someone wants to do a Lazarus on it, then I guess newbies will always want to say something that they are not aware there has been a full and extensive discussion on that subject.

Just look at all the anti- SchM bashes!!! New threads crop up more regularly than our local bus service.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1371719)   #17
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ferrari are just doing it with cars on the track... Why is that so different ?
Because that's what the other teams agreed on. And of course, because in sim even Mercedes engines might last.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1371732)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The testing ban is not there to cut costs - it's there to ensure that some of the staff get a break during the summer holidays, so that they can spend time with their families. Refusing to obey this is not a sporting issue, it's just blatant greed.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1371780)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1371826)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps its worth realising that at Ferrari, as like there is in many top teams now, they have a special test team (different from the race team crews), and hence the race team crew still get their much needed break.

I fully support the idea of giving the travelling circus time off to rest and get back to their family. It's great for dads to go back to their kids, sons to go home to visit their elderly parents..

But of course, without knowing how Ferrari handle their crew welfare, yet lambast them without knowing smells.

I'm sure Ferrari would appreciate the concern all their non-fans suddenly have for their employees
Old 4 Aug 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1371836)   #21
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But of course!! I hope the Renault team can also give some days off to their crew, maybe they have very old parents or newborn babies home, it wouldn't be nice for them to miss those days, now, would it?
Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1371852)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would that be the seperate test team that's ran practically non-stop all year then?
Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1371853)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't ever expect an organisation led by Todt and Brawn to think of the common good
Old 4 Aug 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1372015)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what are these people teachers! i would love three consecutive weeks off a year. i propose we institute a gentlemans agreement which states that one, we all get three weeks off, paid of course, two, no one will ever do more work than the least of us is prepared to do, and three, people who work to hard should be eliminated.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1372041)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't be so spiteful Chillibowl. These people work extremely long hours in a highly pressured and stressful job travelling the world, and will often not see their families for weeks on end.