Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 Nov 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1453210)   #1
mamba
Rookie

mamba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
team japan hits wall hard

did any one see the end of tens rpm were they showed team japan hit the wall really hard enougth to tear engine and gearbox off. any pics yet
Old 6 Nov 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1453223)   #2
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i watched the race, i'd post a video of it but we arent allowed too on these boards.

the race coverage showed what ten did, just the end with the car coming to rest in two pieces.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1453231)   #3
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
found these on annother forum

http://www.chrisormerod.com/gallery/...er+2005/1.aspx

the forum.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=422118
Old 6 Nov 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1453233)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought Eastern Creek was too dangerous for these cars.

here is my proof.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1453245)   #5
mamba
Rookie

mamba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need run off areas like Hockemhien they got ridd of there gravel traps years ago and layed asphalte and concrete and have barrier covers over concrete walls.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1453270)   #6
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only caught the end of the crash on Sky Sports coverage (basically just him hitting the wall) didn't realise what had gone before it with him flipping in the gravel trap.

To me it seems to have an incredible likeness to the fateful accident that took away Greg Moore from us, he was just lucky with the angle he hit the wall. Best wishes to Hayanari and speedy recovery.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1453281)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks as if he's basically okay, which certainly represents a lucky escape. The safety features have, somehow, done their jobs here.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1453283)   #8
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was sickening accident. I thought the worst when I saw him still in the car on TV.Then he started moving so I was relieved. The track needs to get rid of those walls or offer more protection
Old 6 Nov 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1453286)   #9
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very lucky having seen ormerod pics.

But typically now all manner of people will say lets tarmac gravel traps/increase run off/move spectators back etc etc etc and totally emasculate the circuit which by all accounts looks to have a fair bit of charactor. Motorsport is dangerous, live with it! Soon in this age of Health and Safety gone mad world the walls and barriers will be so far away that no-one will ever go to a race meeting as they will need binoculars. That day will see the end of Motorsport!

PS. Brazils poor performance from Mr Piquet is down to him having substantially less courage than others. Walls a bit close for you Nelson!!
Old 6 Nov 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1453287)   #10
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my best pic of the incident (click for larger):

Old 6 Nov 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1453307)   #11
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is one lucky guy !!!
Old 6 Nov 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1453325)   #12
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Latest I have heard from Australia is that he is in intensive care and has been since he arrived at the hospital. Although it appears he has not harmed physically (broken bones etc), they are keeping him in for scans etc.

Such a shame considering he is leading the LMES championship and the last round is next Sat..............lets hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1453343)   #13
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there - about 50 metres from the accident.

He just came into that corner slightly sideways, over-corrected, went sideways into the gravel, dug in as that photo shows, and had an accident akin to Greg Moore's one. The rollhoop must have done a great job - it was totally flattened and you couldn't make it out - whilst the engine was a few metres away.

I'm not sure what most serious accidents where, but since I ran to the scene, i didn't see him move like you did on TV - so i was fairly worried, as were pretty much everyone else there who was concerned for him.

I saw the wall before, and thought that it was surprising the tyres didn't continue on further, since it was still possible to hit that bit of wall at a bad angle at speed. Had he of been about 3-5 metres to the right, he would have hit the tyres. Very unlucky in that regard.

But I'm amazed he is alright.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1453360)   #14
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Telly here in Singapore where the race was ;live they showed the wreck then during the Safety car period they did a little replay of him moving his arms in the car after "stopping". Then not much was shown till he was on a stretcher.

I am amazed at the strength of the A1 car it must be as good as you get.

The shot above is very very scary.

On the lap before the Lebanese car was trying to overtake him at the exact spot. Anyone at the circuit see contact?
Old 6 Nov 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1453382)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The safety features did their job - so I would say the circuit is not too dangerous for these cars.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1453390)   #16
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Modern racing drivers are generally very lucky to be racing now. That accident would have killed the driver only a few years ago let alone in the 60s, 70s, or 80's. It is a testament to modern engineering that it is possible to get out of such a violent accident. Lets hope he is up and about again quickly with no after effects. It was obviously a serious mistake not to have the tyre barrier in place at that point on the circuit but please lets not get into the safety argument. Motor sport is still dangerous, not as dangerous as it has been in the past, but yes someone will be killed or badly hurt in one of these racing categories one day. To remove this risk which all those who participate, at any level accept, would be to emasculate the sport completely. The challenge of the fast potentially dangerous corner is what sorts the men from the boys, even today.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1453424)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tyre barriers are a cheap and easy safety feature at corners like tht, and questions should be asked as to why they were not in palce. Althought he result doens't appear to have been too serious, anything could have happened. I completely agree that run-off areas should be sop logn taht the fans can't see the action though.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1453426)   #18
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Latest on his condition : he is in hospital, in the intensive care unit, mainly because they are concerned about his skull and brain, at this point he is not in major danger but they have him in intesive care so he can be closely monitored incase something turns up throughout the night.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1453458)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Very lucky having seen ormerod pics.

But typically now all manner of people will say lets tarmac gravel traps/increase run off/move spectators back etc etc etc and totally emasculate the circuit which by all accounts looks to have a fair bit of charactor. Motorsport is dangerous, live with it! Soon in this age of Health and Safety gone mad world the walls and barriers will be so far away that no-one will ever go to a race meeting as they will need binoculars. That day will see the end of Motorsport!
I agree with you
Old 6 Nov 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1453465)   #20
Miranda
Rookie

Netherlands
Zoetermeer - the Netherlands
Miranda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he abviously is a very lucky guy... the car did a good job and proved to be safe regarding the fact that he went of very hard! Yet I think that the circuit is also quite dangerous, with all these concrete walls...
Old 6 Nov 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1453471)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's no real evidence that the circuit is any more dangerous than anywhere else as far as I can see. When he reached the wall he was a long way from the track. It was an unusual accident and could just have easily happened at any of the tracks visited so far.

mamba's suggestion that Hockenheim sets the standard might be considered with some irony by Heinz-Harald Frentzen, who proved that you can have a big accident on any track if the circumstances are right.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1453483)   #22
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, the FIA are already banning pitwall celebrations at their races...
Old 6 Nov 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1453532)   #23
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Woolley, although there was "unprotected" areas of wall, it was a very odd accident in that from the photos he seems to have skipped most of the gravel trap. The car was destroyed, but that's the idea of making a modern racing car - it dissapates the energy of the accident but the important bit it left intact. We never saw the accident on sky, only the very last bit just after he'd hit the wall and the car settled.

It sounds as tho he'll be OK, which is a great testiment to not only the car but the marshals and rescue crue that seemed to get there extremely quickly, but took all the necessary care in extracting him
Old 6 Nov 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1453542)   #24
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a video anywhere of the full accident? I like others watched it on sky so only caught the end of the accident and havn't been able to locate anything other than a few photo's to show the rest.
Old 6 Nov 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1453588)   #25
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Tyre barriers are a cheap and easy safety feature at corners like tht, and questions should be asked as to why they were not in palce.
Boots, there is a tyre barrier in place down there, but he missed it by a matter of metres. Unless you cover every wall with tyres there's always potential for an incident like this.