Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 29 Jan 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1511436)   #1
Ian Lenhart
Rookie

Ian Lenhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre Opinion (FF1600)

I'm looking for feedback concerning racing a treaded tyre vs. a full racing slick. I'm a US driver who is very interested in the possibility of a nationwide rule change that would required Formula Fords to switch to treaded tyres.

see link:
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15821
(ignore the term DOT if it does not apply to the current spec Avon tyre)

I made a trip over to Brands Hatch this year for the Festival and was really impressed with the close racing. Is the tyre an important factor that allows a 1983/84 Reynard and some older cars to run competitively with newer Rays & Van Diemens. I know talent and car prep goes a long way, but does the types help tighten the performance gap. Guys who run up front over here put on new slicks every weekend - do you have the same issues with the treaded Avons? There is a big drop off in lap times from those with new tires vs. someone on their second or third weekend on the same set. Based on my observation, I think the treaded tyres allows formula ford to be more of a drivers class instead of a technology class. In the States, if you do not have the latest and greatest technology and new tyres you are already starting at the back of the grid.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,
Ian Lenhart

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Old 30 Jan 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1511708)   #2
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you still use 'cantilever' slicks...the ones with a wider footprint than rim width?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 11:24 (Ref:1511809)   #3
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously new tyres are better than old ones, wear heat cycles etc But the ACB10 are great very little drop of in performance.

The FF1800 (Zetec) slicks are completely the opposite you need to buy as many new ones as the rules allow.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 30 Jan 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1511947)   #4
Ian Lenhart
Rookie

Ian Lenhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes - we still use the "cantilever" slicks. All the local tyre dealers (non-racing) will not even touch the mounting and dismounting of this tyre. The cost for the racing tire dealer to mount and balance is very high.

Ian
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1512523)   #5
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart
Yes - we still use the "cantilever" slicks. All the local tyre dealers (non-racing) will not even touch the mounting and dismounting of this tyre. The cost for the racing tire dealer to mount and balance is very high.

Ian
The tyres are an enterprising way around the rim width regulations, I seem to remember they have very stiff sidewalls. Over here FF1600 has to use a control Avon tyre we are ripped off about £400 per set. There is not that much of a drop off in performance and they are consistent as they wear...it takes a good man to show the benefit of a brand new set. They newer the better in the wet.
Running slicks means you have to carry eight spare wheels minimum, with treaded tyres, even keeping one nearly new set in case of rain you can get away wth only 4 spares...Steve