motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deer Leap Changes

Changes made to Deer Leap
Safety improvements at Oulton Park

Oulton Park circuit is widely regarded as one of the best circuits in the country among riders and drivers alike and recent improvements have made it even safer than ever without changing the track layout.

The barrier at the exit of Deer Leap (on the right as vehicles enter the pits) has been moved back to create extra run-off through the final corner. Although two trees, which were in poor health, were removed, Oulton Park's green and pleasant nature will actually be increased thanks to the planting of more than a dozen newly-planted saplings elsewhere on the site.

As well as increased safety, the changes should give better viewing at Deer Leap, enabling fans to enjoy an unrestricted view as cars and bikes exit Lodge corner, power across the finish line and battle into the first turn

Last edited by motorsportmarshal61; 15 Dec 2006 at 22:04.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1791782)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this current?
I have deja-vu.........thought this happened a while ago?

Maybe I am confusing with the previous changes to barrier out of Lodge!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1791799)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, it's current. And crikey, it looks different.

Certainly a good call though, the problem was the trees meant the barrier had to be close to the track, and inspite of the barrier works done a few years ago that Mark mentioned the barriers were still pretty magnetic and unforgiving.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1792097)   #4
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trees were reemoved a while ago (prior to the marshals trackday) I only noticed it on my 3rd lap in Mike Newtons Falcon! It does really open up the track at this point and will hopefully reduce the amount of red flags that we get at this point with cars impacting the barrier that used to be there.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 16 Dec 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1792165)   #5
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh not more changes.....any more and this circuit will lose it,s nostalgic....erm...thingy.we dont want a flat boring featureless circuit,and i,m sure the drivers like it as it is.i understand it,s for safety but come on oulton park has a certain grace about it so let,s not spoil it aaayyyyy.woody by the time those saplings grow we shall all be pushing up the daisies anyway.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1792226)   #6
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does look a bit bare and not recognisable as the 'Leap any more. But... I was in an accident there this year (maybe we precipitated the changes!), so I can't moan about it too much (as I do about all other track changes dumbing down circuits...)
Old 16 Dec 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1792228)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've flagged at Deer Leap and have to say that the Observer box just gets in the way - not only for viewing to either side but also for escape route.

They say the box is "listed" (should that be "listing") so they can't pull it down and I must say that I don't like pulling down structures because "they're old" -but this one is a hazard and, to my regret, I'm on the side of getting rid of it.

Apparently there's some talk of moving the box back from the track. I would be happy with that so long as it gave me not only a good view of the track and up/down flag points but also some escape route!

And, despite my dislike of the post, you have to admit that it is one of the best flag points in the country (or is it the best?).
Old 16 Dec 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1792266)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
It does look a bit bare and not recognisable as the 'Leap any more. But... I was in an accident there this year (maybe we precipitated the changes!), so I can't moan about it too much (as I do about all other track changes dumbing down circuits...)
Photos can be deceptive. In real life it doesn't look all that different (as in: 'Oh, have they changed it?).

I've only had a couple of biggish incidents at Deer Leap & both have involved a car which has got the exit of Lodge all wrong (probably got the entry wrong as well!), spun, crossed the track & gone backwards into the tyre wall on the inside of the circuit. It's quite possible that similar incidents will now just be 'spun & continued'.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 01:24 (Ref:1792655)   #9
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Outlon Park spectator area changes.

Whilst we're talking about other circuits, looks like there's a small change at Oulton park...

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/ne...sp?NewsID=2398

When I was there in April, I seem to remember that spectators couldn't actually get very close to the track in that particular section anyway.

Hopefully as seems suggested they've not actually moved the spectator area back further, but just moved the barriers now that the 2 tree's have gone.

After all, it is on the infield side of the track so there shouldn't be too much danger to spectators.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1792662)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The above post was copied from the Le Mans Track Changes thread in the Sportscar sub-forum.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1793511)   #11
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Shelagh, it is the best flag point in the country. No-where do you get as close the the track as Deer Leap.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1796977)   #12
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah well, at least they have not removed the barrier, flag point and box on teh left. For once I can't agree with Shelagh. That box is one of the continuing joys of marshalling at Oulton.

Just as long as they don't install TV cameras.

Regards

Jim
Old 23 Dec 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1798342)   #13
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldnt say it is all that great for spectators anyway, stood there on the saturday during the BTCC meeting and although you got a bit of action at Lodge the views were limited

was handy for the campsite though, which is why we stood there