Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1078132)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Refuelling ban

I don't know if this has been posted before but I just read the news here:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30960

Persdonally I couldn't agree more. I've had it with overtaking due to pit-stop strategie. In fact, I see that drivers in close battles are keen on waiting for the pit stop rather than take a chance on the track.

Perhaps to compensate for the extra weight FIA could reduce weight restrictions ad F1 cars today carry a lot of balast which could easily be removed to accomodate the new weight.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1078147)   #2
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now all we need is slicks and a reduction in reliance on aero grip and we may get some racing again!
Old 26 Aug 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1078150)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope this happens.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 15:02 (Ref:1078167)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I pray this happens!
And i'm not a religious man!
Old 26 Aug 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1078182)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then ur prayers won't be answered
Old 26 Aug 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1078195)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Banning refuelling could be a good idea. There are a few issues though. Firstly, tyre manufacturers would build their tyres to be much more durable, reducing speeds and possibly making overtaking harder.

Also, refuelling does at least provide drama and surprise - if the cars remain as they are, the chance of seeing overtaking could actually be reduced by the cahnge, because the chance of a fast car being behind a slower one is so much lower.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1078210)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More durable tyres and lower speeds would not make overtaking harder.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1078223)   #8
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always get caught between two feelings on this one.

As a fan of racing I'm in favour of getting rid of pit stops and returning the racing back to the track where it belongs.

As a marshal I've always got a doubt over whether going back to fat cars with 300km worth of fuel in them is a good idea. I've marshalled the first corner of a GP and having twenty or so cars thrown at you at around 170mph is at the same time one of the most exhilirating and buttock-clenchingly apprehensive moments. Put three times as much fuel on the grid and the danger increases likewise.

I know we used to do it, but then we also used to not wear seatbelts, it doesn't mean we should go back and do it again.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1078229)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fire safety of the cars and their tanks is better than ever.

There weren't any major problems with this issue in the early nineties before refuelling was permitted last time.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1078232)   #10
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

WE have to go pretty far back to when a car exploded or caught fire. We don't have to go as far back when we've had pit fires though do we. So which has been safer? Also the weight could slow the cars down as well as would a more substantial cockpit and fuel structure.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1078234)   #11
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fact, refuelling itself could be quite dangerous. Lets not forget what happened top Verstappen in Hockenheim 1994, even what happened to Schu in Austria. Thanfuly those incidents didn't turn out to be tragic but there's always a risk involved in machines that pump many galons of fuel per second near car components which are very hot.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1078236)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is more dangerous to refuel.

The tanks on these things simply don't split. But refuelling equipment can always go wrong.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1078249)   #13
neil_davidson2
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I know all those things and yet I'm still apprehensive. But like I said - as a race fan I'm all in favour of putting them back on the track.

But what was the original reason for the FIA enforcing fuel stops in the first place? Was it to make a better show for the TV audiences because the ontrack activity wasn't good enough?
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:41 (Ref:1078251)   #14
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not to be one to pee on anyones bonfire but if you consider how much fuel is taken on in the two or three pit stops (60+ litres) plus the fuel in the car at the start so thats about 120 litres of highly explosive liquid, one wonder about the safety aspect of cars travelling around at 200mph+. Just a thought???
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1078252)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

It was thrown in to a package of rule changes for 1994.

When the teams realised what they'd signed up to they tried to have the refuelling banned again.

That would have needed unaninmous agreement, but one team which had thirsty V12s in its red cars wouldn't agree, so we were lumbered with it.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1078258)   #16
neil_davidson2
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
But why did the FIA introduce it in the first place? The reason I ask is that I've often seen it referred to as "TV friendly" because it increased the drama.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1078284)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It was seen as a cure for lack of on track action I think.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1078292)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, due to statements like the one made in the first post of this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=58734
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1078293)   #19
neil_davidson2
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
So what we're saying is we want to remove something that was brought in as a cure for a lack of on-track action, because we think it'll improve the on-track action?

Just playing devils advocate...
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1078294)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Thing is, I don't remember complaining about the action back then.

So therefore, never understood the introduction of refuelling.

Ah well......I was obviously in the extreme minority.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1078309)   #21
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy

So therefore, never understood the introduction of refuelling.

Ah well......I was obviously in the extreme minority.
I think part of the reason for introducing re-fueling was to give more entertainment/action for the people that pay bigtime $$$ to sit in the grandstands at the start/finish area.........
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:58 (Ref:1078318)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well if the people in the grandstands desperately want to see cars at a standstill then they did the right thing.

And what about those who sit elsewhere at the track? Mmm?
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1078322)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by neil_davidson2
So what we're saying is we want to remove something that was brought in as a cure for a lack of on-track action, because we think it'll improve the on-track action?

Just playing devils advocate...
Sort of.

I wasn't brought in to 'cure' on track action, it was brought in to give us something to watch if there was no on track action. Not a cure, an alternative.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1078323)   #24
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Concider that you will have to increace the size of the fuel tanks by two to three times. Making a longer and wider F-1 car. And that may make it harder for one bigger car to pass another bigger car. You might end up with even less passing.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1078324)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
I do. An example: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1