Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Jan 2003, 01:22 (Ref:462413)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uncle Doug

I was watching the first round of the 1988 AMSCAR Touring Car series last night, the first meeting that Channel 7 had got Doug Mulray along to help out with commentary, as Neil Crompton was racing in the Brock BMW M3 in the Touring Car races.

Anyway, during the Sports Sedan race, Peter McKay mentions to Doug during the commentary, that Doug was going to go get his CAMS licence during 1988 and he and McKay were going to share the driving of a Mazda RX7 in Sports Sedans, the one used a couple of times by Crompton during 1987 before he joined the Brock Mobil Dealer Team (or whatever they were calling themselves then )

So did Mulray ever race? If so how did he do.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 01:51 (Ref:462422)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I seem to recall Uncle Doug did a number of drive days with Jaguar, as besotted as he was with his British Racing Green Orgasmatron , but dont recall any race starts..

I would suggest that like Peter Janson, a breathalyser test before each heat may be very appropriate
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2003, 02:59 (Ref:462452)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the pic in Australian Muscle Car mag of Daryl Eastlake racing a P76
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:01 (Ref:462455)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its in the History of the P76 book too Crash!

A good old car the P76
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:06 (Ref:462457)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My fave P76- this 2 door coupe that is a regular hillclimber here in QLD, it's fairly awesome!... that was until he dropped a gearbox at Mt Cotton half way through the year, and ruining the racing surface for the next few meetings
Attached Thumbnails
graeme-adair.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:08 (Ref:462459)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is that a real coupe or a dummied sedan??

And it should be that tasty burnt orange colour to maximise the effect... you wouldnt lose a car that colour in a carpark thats for sure
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:13 (Ref:462461)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think it is a home made cut and weld jiggy. There is always a problem categorising it, and it seemingly always winds up in Sports Cars
Attached Thumbnails
graeme-adair1.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:15 (Ref:462463)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sure looks pretty mean...

It would go pretty well with a late model Range Rover engine in it too I'm sure
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:20 (Ref:462466)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Here's a four door from New Zealand at Mt Cotton (I'm told by a New Zealander that they are the only sedan to that can fit 6 sheep). Note- everything locked up with mass understeer
Attached Thumbnails
geoff-ogilvie.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:22 (Ref:462468)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
From NZ? The cost of freight would be more than the car would be worth

Still a good looking beast though...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:34 (Ref:462472)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah - it was shipped across as ballast - they paid the owners for the privilidge of taking it
Old 3 Jan 2003, 03:44 (Ref:462474)   #12
White Knight

Referring back to the original topic, Mike Griffin would be the best person to ask as he own the particular RX7 in question.

Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:40 (Ref:462600)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great thread this - Darryl, P76's. Hillclimbing and NZeder's with sheep - it's got it all.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:50 (Ref:462607)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Uncle Doug, now in post Elvis form, bloated to the max but still in the building. Talking on the TV with women of middle age and large breasts.

Oh yeah baby.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:15 (Ref:462633)   #15
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's more Moff. A P76 and a Mazda Rx3
Attached Thumbnails
itsap76.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:28 (Ref:462644)   #16
V8 Fan
Racer

V8 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uncle Doug???? Oh, Doug Mulray. I thought you were talking about something else
Old 4 Jan 2003, 04:33 (Ref:463329)   #17
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racer69, I have a copy of that telecast too and was wondering the same thing for a long time until I found my old Auto Actions. Doug wasn't present at the second AMSCAR meeting (and I don't think the Griffin RX7 was, either), I don't have a video of the ATCC round, but looking at the Auto Action report, I can't find Doug's name mentioned anywhere in the Sports Sedan report. At the final AMSCAR round that year, McKay did drive the RX7 with Valvoline-Say NO to Drugs-Supercross Masters sponsorship, but was unfortunately caught in the middle of a Cortina-Commodore sandwich going up the hill away from the line and went no further...

AFAIK, Doug drove in the 1986 AGP Celebrity Race, but I don't know how he did.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 08:03 (Ref:463358)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

I don't remember him racing either. I do remember him being the unofficial Triumph spokesman when he bought/ procured a Triumph Daytona 1200 in the very early '90's.

Always struck me as a enthuiast. Not a bad thing at all.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:11 (Ref:463813)   #19
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uncle Doug has done some very funny things in the past but this would have taken the cake. Driving the "Valvoline-Say NO to Drugs-Supercross Masters " car

Dougie say no ?
I'd like to see that!!!!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 00:17 (Ref:463993)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's nice that Valvoline says no to drugs and supercross masters. How political of them
Old 7 Jan 2003, 00:34 (Ref:465867)   #21
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at a Lower Mountains Motorcycle Club day at Amaroo in the late 80's and Doug was a guest and got to go for a ride on the Chivers/Haliday side car, that at the time was quite a tool.Well just before his ride it started to rain and off they set,still on slicks and with doug "swinging"(not the first time no doubt) any way going up the hill the thing was wheel spinning and doug was chitting himself but going down the back straight he went to change sides and his glove slipped half way off and he couldn't get his hand into the handle.Feet dragging on the ground all the way down to Stop Corner and just held on for the run onto the straight as the sidecar power slid right out to the wall.It was huge and a very ashan faced Mulray got off and anounced that next time he may need bicycle clips for the journey!! You had to be there but funny at the time

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 9 Jan 2003, 07:25 (Ref:468197)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a look at a very edited version of the 1988 Tooheys 1000, and during the 'Crompton talking to Brock in pits' act during the race, Brock makes reference to Doug having got his CAMS licence. So he obviously got it, but did he use it?
Old 9 Jan 2003, 10:14 (Ref:468271)   #23
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He must have gotten a CAMS licence to run in the AGP Celebrity, so unless he means that, Mulray must have gotten a licence. Unfortunately, I don't have that part of the race on tape (a matter that should be corrected soon...) so I don't really know what Brock meant.