Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Oct 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1422611)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is he wrong AGAIN

After blowing his own trumpet after the China v8supertaxi race, Aussie Bernie claimed that the China F1 race would not pull the HUGE crowd that the taxi's did.

Well Mr T.C. how come that the China F1 RACE is a sell out of a 190,000 tickets. Can not recall the v8supertaxi pulling that number of people. Was not Sunday crowd around 55,000.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1422662)   #2
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful, TSR, motoring and motorsport journalist Peter Mackay dared to question AVESCO's system of counting crowd numbers and look where it got him - banned from this weekend's Bathurst 1000 (in an official capacity) with his media credentials cancelled.
It seems that if the journos don't report Circus Tony in a nice way they don't get a gig ever again.
Smacks of The Emporer's New Clothes if you ask me.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1422664)   #3
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony Cochrane never said the V8's would pull a bigger crowd than F1. I think it is time you let this “Aussie Bernie” thing go. I know TC is not wholly responsible, but since his involvement the V8's are worth far more money and are seen by more people than ever before. I realise there are issues with circuit ownership, driver development and other categories but they are not AVESCO’s problem.

I know that hurts but let’s try and channel that rage into something positive, perhaps some form of lobbying directed towards CAMS.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1422765)   #4
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I think you will find that of that 55,000 people there, the larger portion of them were holders of "complimentry" tickets
Old 3 Oct 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1423258)   #5
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, dsg. What's theweather like on your planet?

(Alternatively, how does the sand smell today?)
Old 4 Oct 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1423312)   #6
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Hey, dsg. What's theweather like on your planet?

(Alternatively, how does the sand smell today?)
Good response, you have clearly displayed a comprehensive knowledge of the subject based on the astuteness of your response.

Your friends on the special bus would be proud.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1423321)   #7
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Good response, you have clearly displayed a comprehensive knowledge of the subject based on the astuteness of your response.

Your friends on the special bus would be proud.

Nice DSG, playing the man, not the subject.

Tenths will end up like Conrod & V8 kindergarten at this rate.....
Old 4 Oct 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1423329)   #8
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do people make a big deal about Cochrane's rhetoric? Everyone else, especially the media, is aware not to listen too closely to the guy, why can't you follow the lead? Get a structural engineering degree already.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1423388)   #9
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker

I don't follow the other V8 forums, but you are correct and I apologise, it was a moment of weakness.

To clarify, I am certainly not a fan of TC but I do get amused when people blame him for doing his job. He says enough massively over hyped things about the V8s without having to make them up. But as I said, he has helped add a lot of value in both currency and prestige to the category.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1423405)   #10
thirty4
Rookie

Australia
Newcastle
thirty4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
I don't follow the other V8 forums, but you are correct and I apologise, it was a moment of weakness.

To clarify, I am certainly not a fan of TC but I do get amused when people blame him for doing his job. He says enough massively over hyped things about the V8s without having to make them up. But as I said, he has helped add a lot of value in both currency and prestige to the category.
Ive tried to dsg, and many others have too, but for some, it's apparently "cool" to bag Tony Cochrane and Mark Skaife on this forum.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1423408)   #11
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologise for my earlier behaviour. It's a knee jerk reaction I have when people try to justify or defend TC.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1423447)   #12
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Tony Cochrane never said the V8's would pull a bigger crowd than F1. I think it is time you let this “Aussie Bernie” thing go. I know TC is not wholly responsible, but since his involvement the V8's are worth far more money and are seen by more people than ever before. I realise there are issues with circuit ownership, driver development and other categories but they are not AVESCO’s problem.

I know that hurts but let’s try and channel that rage into something positive, perhaps some form of lobbying directed towards CAMS.

Wellll not quite true .TC did say after race three(as they where all slapping/patting there backs) that F1 crowds would drop in the second year from 170.000 and he expecs the V8s to hit 150.000 next year ( )

Know I mite not be the biggest fan of the taxis but the thing that bites me the most about TC and other snip bits of the taxis is they consantly compare themselves to F1 . They will never be bigger tan F1 in any shape way or form as long as there bum points to the ground A1gp will be light years bigger than the taxis why they can not just take happiness that they are a big fish in a ever smaller grown tin top world .
but back to one point F1 crowd sale in China are up not down Mr TC but down worry its only by 30.000 ......oh thats right thats nearly half of your full weekend attentance
Old 4 Oct 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1423541)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Nice. good work. bag out the guy who defends TC and let the one who bags go without a comment.

You must be an official.

Anyone give me a source on where TC said that the v8s will outsell the F1's
Old 4 Oct 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1423580)   #14
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Nice. good work. bag out the guy who defends TC and let the one who bags go without a comment.

You must be an official.

Anyone give me a source on where TC said that the v8s will outsell the F1's

You and I seem to have a wonderful Love/Hate relationship Peck, I just can't quite figure who does the loving & who, the hating.

I was making a point of highlighting the fact that DSG wasn't playing fair, and to his/her credit, they admitted so; which I might add is a pleasant change on these forums.

Now for you to aim a poorly directed slap my way for doing some housekeeping, and thinly try to associate me with the defense of TC is way off the mark.

If you have ever read any of my posts I admit, that at times I am a little bit anti TC [& MS for that matter]

Well alright A LOT.

But playing the man only descends this good forum, to the level of those mentioned.

Let me say this once only.

The Black Wiggle, AKA, Tony Cochbrain is doing a stupendous job of what he got into V8 SC for, making SEL ship-loads of money. [at what expense?]

As for the stuffing up the development of the lower ranks, the harming of the future of race tracks where young talent can be nurtured, and the all round apathy towards the "Thinking Motorsport Fan", AVE$$CO & CAM$ have done a fine job of that too.

And just about Juicy-fruited the future of the grass-roots of the sport.

Oh and Peck, as for being an official, well with comments like that, clearly you are a knowledgeable and loyal V8 supercar fan..........

P.S. is the font OK Peck ?
Old 4 Oct 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1423593)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
That would be "Mr Peck" and yes the font is fine

it just seemed like you ignored chuckies message who bagged DRT and went after DRT

the assumption of being anto TC was therefore a reasonable conclusion.

i wonder if in your wisdom you could give me some examples of how motorsport is worst today than it was 10 years ago.

I dont see it, thats all. i see motorsport increasing in popularity, i see a lot of classes. i see more people attending and watching. i see tracks improving their facilities. how can that be bad
Old 4 Oct 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1423596)   #16
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see grassroots motorsport well and truly geting done over in the past 10 years. Peck, how long have you been actively involved in the sport? And no, I'm not having a shot at you. I'm just curious is all.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1423603)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
thats great stoned pony, make a sweeping statement. back it up. how?

Do you think bigger crowds is bad, do you think more classes is bad, do you think tracks making improvements is bad.

im open to some thoughts
Old 4 Oct 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1423621)   #18
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for the stuffing up the development of the lower ranks, the harming of the future of race tracks where young talent can be nurtured, and the all round apathy towards the "Thinking Motorsport Fan", AVE$$CO & CAM$ have done a fine job of that too.
And what would the "Thinking Motorsport Fan" want from AVESCO?

At what stage is motorsport in this country going to take responsability for itself instead of blaming the V8 Supercars for not giving them a free lunch? Interest in motorsport in this country is at an alltime high, instead of winging about the nasty nasty man, get out and make the most of the interest he's created!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1423630)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I resemble that...I do

Quote:
You must be an official.
The Tony Show has developed into an entertaining money spinner...however....AVESCO has done very little for officials.

We are supposed to be impartial anyways....
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1423675)   #20
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, the cover over the flag posts this weekend would be a good example of one thing that AVESCO has had a hand in specifically for officials!!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1423856)   #21
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Hmmm, the cover over the flag posts this weekend would be a good example of one thing that AVESCO has had a hand in specifically for officials!!

Just how much money did AVESCO put towards these covers?
Old 4 Oct 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1423964)   #22
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Just how much money did AVESCO put towards these covers?
Now come on Pete, lets be fair. AVE$$CO didn't actually put any money in at all, they just LOBBIED the Bathurst Council to do it "for all of those harworking officials"

Who will be in very short supply I might add, my sauces [hot chilli if you must know] have told me that the list management tasks for the volunteer race officials kinda got lost in the transition from IMG to AVE$$CO Events, hence a great number of people not atteneding, and some very irate "senior officials" not ending up in the cushy role they are used to.

If any of this ever actually happened.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1424036)   #23
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is would beautiful Mt Panorama got it 20 million dollar facelift if Avesco didn't Lobby?

Gawd fella's, in one breath the V8's dont support permanent tracks, but in the next when something good comes from them, no credit is given..... I've met women that are easier to please!

The V8 bashing from certain people is getting rather predictable and wearing rather thin......
Old 4 Oct 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1424066)   #24
Silent Number
Racer

Silent Number should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase3
The question is would beautiful Mt Panorama got it 20 million dollar facelift if Avesco didn't Lobby?

Gawd fella's, in one breath the V8's dont support permanent tracks, but in the next when something good comes from them, no credit is given..... I've met women that are easier to please!

The V8 bashing from certain people is getting rather predictable and wearing rather thin......
and all this begs the question

why spend 20mill on a track that gets used a handull of times a year

wouldn't the 10mill the govment gave be better spent on all the perment tracks. the ones that have racing all year round
Old 5 Oct 2005, 02:25 (Ref:1424107)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

i wonder if in your wisdom you could give me some examples of how motorsport is worst today than it was 10 years ago.

I dont see it, thats all. i see motorsport increasing in popularity. i see more people attending and watching
According to whose figures, though ?

Quote:
i see a lot of classes. . i see tracks improving their facilities. how can that be bad
Sure there are many categories, but many dont know and dont care there out there. I am not saying that this is Avesco's fault, however it is not a healthy situation for motorsport in this country.

As tracks in Aus improve their facilties (putting money back in Aus motorsport) they are dropped by Avesco for street races and overseas races. Thats where Australian Motorsport 10 years ago has it better than we do today.