Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Sep 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1084185)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Bridgestone / Firestone

Dov's new thread, "Where We Stand", is a great one.

And I hate to put any kind of a damper upon it, but when I posted, "We have a commitment from Ford" it reminded me...

During the Penske-initiated reunification talks, it was mentioned that the primary force behind this was Bridgestone.

They said that they would support one series, not two.

Ford has committed to 2005.
Bridgestone has not.

You can have all the chassis, engines, teams, drivers and tracks in the world. But if you ain't got tires, you got nothing.

Has anybody heard anything from the Bridgestone camp since then? We'd be remiss if we overlooked something this important.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1084198)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The way I look at it, if Bridgestone decides to go with one series only, then Goodyear would step in to become the "official tire" of a major series....or Dunlop, in case OWRS would be the odd series out....or Michelin, if F-1 decides to go with one tire manufacturer...

If Bridgestone stays with OWRS, then the other Series would probably land Goodyear or Hoosier tires.....

Builders of racing tires aren't going to let that huge void remain open for very long.....there is way too much exposure value to let such an opportunity slide past....

So the tire manufacturer does not worry me that much....and there would be time for the new supplier to biuld tires and get them tested at tracks over the winter....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:47 (Ref:1084252)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if it's when I was listning to the CC race on Global last Sunday or was reading a thread from another forum, but all I remember is Bridgestone would welcome some cometition from another tire manufacturer starting next year, however, I'm not sure what their plans are for '06.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 23:44 (Ref:1084288)   #4
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice catch Macdaddy, with all of the speculation and hopes of what may come for the '05 year everyone forgot about the tires. It is a very valid concern but I will have to agree with Dov that it probably won't be too big of a deal since Bridgestone or Michelin or who ever would want to lose that kind of brand recognition.
Not to mention, at $2500 a set, the cash loss would be something that any of the tire manufacturer's would rather not lose.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1084289)   #5
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooops, I ment that I was agreeing with Tim Northcutt. Not that I don't agree with you Dov, but your post wasn't there when I was typing.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1084786)   #6
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the ChampCar programme last Sunday there was a piece from Bridgestone where they said they would like another tyre war in ChampCar (Michelin or Goodyear).
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1084861)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was thinking Hoosier actually, rather than GoodYear...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1084875)   #8
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodyear bailed when they were getting clobbered by Firestone. Having NASCAR to themselves, do you think they would want to come back to a competitive situation?
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1085066)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well when a series runs only one make of tyres, they are just tyres and no-one really cares what they are.

If there is a tyre war then you actually want to know what is on the cars and which is the best.

Well what would be good is if Goodyear, Michelin and Hoosier all entered and there was a 4-way tyre war!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1085130)   #10
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Well when a series runs only one make of tyres, they are just tyres and no-one really cares what they are.
NASCAR only runs one tire, and people actually buy raised Yellow letter tires for their cars and trucks. So I think with proper marketing, it does work.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 19:46 (Ref:1085165)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
A little birdy told me to look for Kumho to enter the CC tire war in '05 or '06!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1085309)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
A little birdy told me to look for Kumho to enter the CC tire war in '05 or '06!
I don't necessarly like the results of tire wars, but it'll bring in money which CART needs. Kumho is a perfect fit because they need to raise their profile in North America and they have a higher than normal emphasis on performance.

Last edited by Snrub; 2 Sep 2004 at 21:45.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1085340)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in regards to Champcar- a tyre war would be splendid
as the cars are identical save for 2 reynards, and the engines the same a little creative engineering in the tyres to provide big performances would be spectacular- then you know not just who is good but what tyres are making a difference- could be good.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1085363)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Doesn't Kumho supply tires to some F3000 teams?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1085378)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No. F3000 uses Avon tyres.

Kumho supplies the F3 Euroseries though.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 06:53 (Ref:1086569)   #16
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Uesque
Goodyear bailed when they were getting clobbered by Firestone. Having NASCAR to themselves, do you think they would want to come back to a competitive situation?
Goodyear have Nascar to themselves due to buying the supply contract for a period of (I think) 5 years,not sure what happens after that.

It was rumored that Firestone were considering entering Nascar several years ago and that was what prompted Goodyears move.

I would think both companies would benefit from the competition if they were both involved in the same series as it would encourage development.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 02:57 (Ref:1087802)   #17
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by Warwick
Goodyear have Nascar to themselves due to buying the supply contract for a period of (I think) 5 years,not sure what happens after that.

It was rumored that Firestone were considering entering Nascar several years ago and that was what prompted Goodyears move.

I would think both companies would benefit from the competition if they were both involved in the same series as it would encourage development.
What prompted Goodyear's move was Hoosier was in NASCAR and defeating Goodyear teams.
Hoosier announced they had new tire, combing the best or radial and bia-ply construction coming, that was far better than what they had, suddenly NASCAR signs an exclusive with Goodyear.
Goodyear had been complaining about the cost of continually having to build new, better tires, whilst adding that the continually improving tires were only going to make the cars continually faster; POOFspec. one brand tires became the rule.

Bob
Old 6 Sep 2004, 07:07 (Ref:1087850)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Riebe
What prompted Goodyear's move was Hoosier was in NASCAR and defeating Goodyear teams.
Hoosier announced they had new tire, combing the best or radial and bia-ply construction coming, that was far better than what they had, suddenly NASCAR signs an exclusive with Goodyear.
Goodyear had been complaining about the cost of continually having to build new, better tires, whilst adding that the continually improving tires were only going to make the cars continually faster; POOFspec. one brand tires became the rule.

Bob
Actually, Hoosier withdrew from NASCAR themselves in 1994 after Neil Bonnett and Rodney Orr were fatally injured at Daytona during SpeedWeeks practice, both as a result of suspected Hoosier tire failures.

Tire failure was also the suspected cause of Andy Farr's horrific ARCA qualifying crash in which he flipped into the turn four wall and destroyed his car, surviving with a broken sternum and several other injuries. He too was on Hoosier tires.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1088299)   #19
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Actually, Hoosier withdrew from NASCAR themselves in 1994 after Neil Bonnett and Rodney Orr were fatally injured at Daytona during SpeedWeeks practice, both as a result of suspected Hoosier tire failures.

Tire failure was also the suspected cause of Andy Farr's horrific ARCA qualifying crash in which he flipped into the turn four wall and destroyed his car, surviving with a broken sternum and several other injuries. He too was on Hoosier tires.
They had a new tire ready to go, when NASCAR did the spec. deal.
Bob