Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2309812)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Massa deliberately collide with Hamilton?

After today's Grand Prix both Allard Kalff and Tom Coronel (both racing drivers with open-wheel experience) said it was obvious Massa collided with Hamilton intentionally. Massa drove with two wheels over the grass and had an easy opportunity to avoid a collision. He didn't avoid it only to eliminate Massa, according to the two Dutch commentators.

What's your opinion on that?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2309814)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not beyond the realms of possibility I suppose, but I think it was more just your typical Massa tomfoolery.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2309816)   #3
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes it was a bit similar to some moves his "mentor" has used in the previous years, so it is possible.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:40 (Ref:2309818)   #4
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think he deliberately collided with Hamilton as, surely, he would not have known what the result of the collision, damage wise, might be. I just think a bit of red mist set in. Either that or he's been watching too much BTCC.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2309819)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
no.

but he could have done an awful lot more to avoid hitting him.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2309821)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Staying on the track might of helped.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2309824)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Not beyond the realms of possibility I suppose, but I think it was more just your typical Massa tomfoolery.
No, I'm not a fan of Massa. But I still have my sympathies for Ferrari. Any way, I can't remember having 'my typical Massa tomfoolery'. At least not at this discussion board.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2309826)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa could have cut across the grass to avoid the collision, come out infront of Lewis and then backed off to give the position back, and then be right on Lewis' gearbox after the corner. He would of course have (in this case) a drive through penalty for gaining an unfair advantage wouldn't he?
But there again..
Old 12 Oct 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2309864)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think it was deliberate as such, but it did look like it might have come out of the 'Michael Schumacher Book of Racing Etiquette'...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Oct 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2309872)   #10
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure that he deliberately hit Hamilton, but he put himself in a position wher it was completely unavoidable. And at least, after Spa, he can have no complaints about the penalty.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2309957)   #11
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Felipe did it on purpose and considering Hamilton's popularity amongst drivers it wasn't a surprise. May be if he didn't hit him, he could have gained more than these 2 points, but then you have to decide on the moment and Hamilton looked faster. At least it creates a bit of controversy, championship rivals bump each other
Good for Lewis and Felipe they don't race with Red Bull designed suspension
Old 12 Oct 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2309959)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definatley possible. Of course, Ferrari do not release their radio transmissions, Rob Smedley could have been shouting "take the bugger off" or something.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2309977)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If it was deliberate, it would have been pretty stupid, as Massa was probably more likely to suffer suspension damage than Hamilton. I think it was just very poor driving.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2309990)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it was deliberate it was stupid, and it cost him.
Probably the same careless attitude that caused him to tangle with Bourdais, which also cost him, but not as much as it should have.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2309993)   #15
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He gained with Bourdais He lost like 6 seconds with that spin, and he ended 6.9 behind Vettel... clearly not enough to have time to overtake him.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2310001)   #16
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would Massa risk his own car to take out Hamilton since he was trailing him by 7 points ?

It was simply another case of a driver compounding one error, running wide and losing a place, by trying the impossible.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2310010)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=brands]Why would Massa risk his own car to take out Hamilton since he was trailing him by 7 points ?
QUOTE]

Probably because he is careless, or arrogant, or simply acts before he thinks, or acts without thinking of the implications.

Then again it may be a combination of two or more of the above....
I am not sure...
Old 12 Oct 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2310038)   #18
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
Why would Massa risk his own car to take out Hamilton since he was trailing him by 7 points ?

It was simply another case of a driver compounding one error, running wide and losing a place, by trying the impossible.
Rather trail by 7 points going into known Ferrari tracks than trail by 8..9..10
Old 12 Oct 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2310057)   #19
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course it was on purpose. Straight from the Schumacher book. I think he felt that if Hamilton got by his championship was gone so he took a punt, literally, and it paid off. Of course he also knew that if the stewards could help him they would, hence the Bourdais penalty.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2310062)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I don't see that, at that time, being 7 points behind, that he'd want to take the risk, after all, he wouldn't know what damage he'd do to his own car.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2310079)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering Massa is the one behind in the standings I don't see what he had to gain.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2310106)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Considering Massa is the one behind in the standings I don't see what he had to gain.
If Hamilton went out of the points and Massa was able to come in the top two he would be able to take the lead.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2310108)   #23
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had quite a lot to gain...
Consider if Massa had stayed where he was, and Hamilton had gone on to win. TThe points difference now would be very big indeed.
Mind you, Fellipe should remember that what happens on track is not the be all and end all. There's always the stewards there to change the result afterwards and bump him up the standings.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2310133)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I don't see that, at that time, being 7 points behind, that he'd want to take the risk, after all, he wouldn't know what damage he'd do to his own car.
Like I have said before, with Michael retired, it has been (with the exception of Alonso) pretty much Amateur Hour out there. BOTH of them were over optimistic with the the initial overtake and then the defending move: Massa was a bit optimistic but Hamilton really did not have the speed to defend so he just drove down on Massa.

Either way you have what many here complain about: two drivers fighting for it on the track and when they show their shortcomings y'all complain.

Bottom line: Massa is not perfect but Hamilton falls well short of the mark. All Lewis had to do today was finish one place behind Massa to really help consolidate his position. Instead, he buggers his start, drives in the pack like he is the only car out there and being as how he has the most to lose if he does not finish or finishes out of the points he drops down on Massa instead of letting him go and getting him at another corner or through pitstops - oh by the way, at the rate Massa caught Lewis, what WAS going on with the car?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2310140)   #25
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Bottom line: Massa is not perfect but Hamilton falls well short of the mark. All Lewis had to do today was finish one place behind Massa to really help consolidate his position. Instead, he buggers his start, drives in the pack like he is the only car out there and being as how he has the most to lose if he does not finish or finishes out of the points he drops down on Massa instead of letting him go and getting him at another corner or through pitstops - oh by the way, at the rate Massa caught Lewis, what WAS going on with the car?
Oh yes. I struggle to recall two previous world championship combattants both showing such a poor lack of judgement, to be honest.