Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:15 (Ref:339290)   #1
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Magnitude of Schumacher's success

5 Formula One World titles
3 Consecutive World titles with Ferrari
61 race wins
Greatest Ferrari driver ever

It just hit me that all the records he holds make his so unique in the history of formula one. Does he even realize the fact that just because he drives a Ferrari makes him a legend.. and with all that he has achieved with Ferrari... He's controversial, he has charisma, he has personality, he has records.. Damn, he must be one of the greatest of all time.

Thumbs up to him!

Wait is this really me

Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:27 (Ref:339294)   #2
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Magnitude of Schumacher's success

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Wait is this really me

I was suprised myself.....but then you did admit of being his supporter back then didn't ya

You forgot one more fact....Michael was one of the person (Braun & Todt) that lifted Ferrari to be the world champions again after dismal showings before they joined.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:37 (Ref:339296)   #3
freud
Veteran

Juke, here I have slight disagreement with you. I always believed Ferrari had the foundation, resources to be champions. They werent channeling it in proper direction. Whats special about Schumacher is the way he handled the politics at Ferrari. Prost became a laughing stock in early 90s.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:42 (Ref:339297)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Surely one of the greatest ever.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:51 (Ref:339301)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Sigmund.....surely you have to admit the trio made a very big difference since they joined the Ferrari outfit.

Aye to that Inigo..equalling the great Fangio's record of 5 WDC title.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 04:04 (Ref:339303)   #6
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Freud, I am genuinely impressed with your graciousness. Many people are bitter towards Michael because of his success. They say he makes the sport boring, that he is a cheat etc.. I honestly think his achievements are remarkable. Yes, he has made some bad mistakes, which he has paid greatly for (and is probably still paying for), but nobody can deny his talent and dedication. In a few years he will retire or have his thrown taken away by one of the up and comers (JPM or kimi for e.g.) but he will surely retire as one of the greats. Congratulations Michael!!!! You've had some great races, your records will stand for some time, and you will retire a legend of the sport. Have fun while it lasts!!!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 04:11 (Ref:339304)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
He's in position to achieve 6 WDC titles to his name and smash Senna's pole position record. I hope & wish he does these before considering to retire.

Knowing him not bothered with the statistics but as a Michael fan i wish he does!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 04:29 (Ref:339307)   #8
freud
Veteran

Juke, Michael retiring?? If he retires with a package like he has, it would be a stupid decision. He has 2 more titles in his bag already (as Nigel Mansell says!).

z2252314, I have always appreciated TGF's achievements. I dont see him as the ultimate f1 racing drivers as Ross Brawn thinks. Imho he lacks in qualifying pace and overtaking. But he is still a great package!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 05:12 (Ref:339322)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
sigmund....if he retires when his contract expires. But as Brawn had mentioned earlier he believes that Michael won't retire even though if he leaves Ferrari.

Last edited by Jukebox; 22 Jul 2002 at 05:13.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 07:26 (Ref:339360)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schu will certainly be remembered as one of the greats, alongside names like Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Prost and Senna. Comparing is impossible, so we'll just say he's the best of HIS generation.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 07:30 (Ref:339364)   #11
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he's being called the Greatest Of All Time!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 07:36 (Ref:339365)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's what is called opinion.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 08:41 (Ref:339398)   #13
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i thought so as well.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 09:21 (Ref:339418)   #14
SolemHill
Rookie

SolemHill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the twighlight zone? As a TGF fan I am used to the usual bashing \ slagging \ running down of his great success.

Good on ya, Freud.
Well done MS.

DOn't know if he's the greatest of all time, thats very subjective, but it is an impressive crop of records and it will take a lot of beating.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:21 (Ref:339463)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's pretty good

I won't conceed any more than that

Congrats Mike
Old 22 Jul 2002, 12:25 (Ref:339557)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, I'm not sure anyone deserves the title of "greatest ever", but if there was a short list, Michaels name would be on it.

Exceptional, brilliant and without doubt (IMO) the best driver in the world today.

Congratulations Michael
Old 22 Jul 2002, 12:40 (Ref:339571)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not the greatest of all, certainly. But one of the greatest indeed.

To consider that he has been breaking all the records is an amazing achivement, then history should remember that he has one of the best packages out there, and the competition is not the best a champion has ever got. Like I heard someone say "I'm not putting Schumacher's talent down, but the rest of the grid is just..."
Old 22 Jul 2002, 12:48 (Ref:339582)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, yes.

And congratulations Champion.

You really deserves it.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:00 (Ref:339807)   #19
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Y'know, I possibly would go to say that he's the greatest. I mean, I DO think certain driver's are seen with rose tinted glasses. Yes, the cars are easier to drive, but then they get driven faster. Has the standard of drivers suddenly declined in the last 20-30 years?? Surely not. He has the aggression and passion of Senna, the level-headedness of Prost, the success of Fangio, the skill of Villeneuve all in one complete package.

He's not my favourite driver (at times he has the personality of Mika Hakkinen *yawn*) but I've always thought he was the best.

But now he's won the thing, perhaps we can have some more decent F1 races like the latter end of last season!!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:19 (Ref:339824)   #20
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Has the standard of drivers suddenly declined in the last 20-30 years??
Hmm - top ten championship standings, 1972 season (30 years ago).

1. Emerson Fittipaldi
2. Jackie Stewart
3. Denny Hulme
4. Jacky Ickx
5. Peter Revson
6. Francois Cevert
7. Clay Regazzoni
8. Mike Hailwood
9. Ronnie Peterson
10. Chris Amon

I think that's a "yes", don't you?
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:23 (Ref:339827)   #21
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It is important to note that only this year and arguably last year, has MS had the best car. Prior to that he has been the only driver capable of taking the fight to the Mclaren, or previously the Williams, and stop them providing a boring and dominant championship. Like him or loath him he has been a principle part in virtually everything exciting that has happened in F1 for the last 10 years (good and bad). For that alone I thank him.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:38 (Ref:339836)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim. WERE they any better?? WERE they?? Really?? Says who?? Very nice names and all. "Legendary" drivers. That's my point. We can't possibly compare.

Why would the drivers today be worse than yesteryear??

But that's one HUGE can of worms though!!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:49 (Ref:339847)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I won't make a battle of it. And I agree when Tristan says about those hard times with less package in previous years. When the others (Hill,Jacques and Hakkinen) had almost unbeatable cars, he was there giving them a hard time. That proves he's one of the greatest. But put those in not-so- good cars and they're nil. Now definetely, there's a lack of competition out there.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:55 (Ref:339857)   #24
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
that he is a cheat etc..
Just take a look at Adelaide '94 and you'll see a big bloody cheat !. That's why I don't respect him as a decent sportsman. There are more MS' nasty moves, but this one is the worst, I think...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 20:24 (Ref:339993)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess he done OK. Didn't need to punt anyone off to clinch this championship. That is why unusual people are able to heap praise