Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 May 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1299035)   #1
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
North QLD
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheel changes in pit stops

As I was watching the pit stops at the WA round, something which DJR raised and Neil Crompton raised stuck with me.

They were talking about the rattle guns being used in a wheel change. Apparantly the rules state that only 1 rattle gun can be used on one side of the car. If you choose to change both wheels on one side, the pit lane mechanic has to use his rattle gun on both wheels.

However quite a few teams used both rattle guns on one side, which made their pit stops considerably faster than those who did it by the rules. I think from memory it saved them about 6 seconds... a long time when you consider how close the cars finish in a race.

There didn't seem to be a penalty for the teams who used 2 guns on one side. While I might not agree with the rule, I dont think its fair that a team (DJR in this case) sacrificed 6 seconds in the pits, yet offending teams got away with it.

Did I miss something, and were there penalties applied afterwards? Or was it an oversight?

Over to you guys.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1299059)   #2
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently the rules allow for a wheel gun at each wheel but you can only use two of them at once.

So the teams that used two guns on one side are in the right and DJR read the rules wrong.

At least that's what I read somewhere in the Barbagallo thread. (Tried to find it for you but couldn't. Sorry.)
Old 13 May 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1299602)   #3
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is DJR's interpretation right or wrong? Or even if the rule says "one per side" it is it not applied like that.

Anyone, if their interpretation was that it would take 12 seconds to change the LHS using one gun, couldn't they have used the other gun and changed all four tyres in 12 seconds?
Old 13 May 2005, 03:58 (Ref:1299606)   #4
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought that the rule was...

only two air guns per car
you can't swap the sides where a gun is being used.

So they "can" both be used on one side of the car, just hope that you don't get a flat on the other side during the race...

DKGandBH
Old 13 May 2005, 05:14 (Ref:1299630)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68811, the answer is in there. DJR had it wrong.