Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2053164)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vibration at speed.

I seem to have a problem with vibration in my XR2 at the higher speeds it gets too.

The discs have been changed, the wheels were swapped and all 4 wheels were re-balanced and found to be fine.

Not sure at all what is causing this and I am sure it is affecting my performance as I would be more confident when during hard braking and changing gears the wheel didn't shake with me holding it one handed.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2053183)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Does the vibration come through the steering or car? Are the tyres OK? you may have a flat spot or bulge in the tread or damaged wheel. Check all the suspension components are tight and working properly but I would start with the tyres and wheels even to the point of trying another set to see if it cures it.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2053205)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not a bottom ball joint is it ??? apart from falcemob said im not sure what else it could be if your wheels have been checked etc etc.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:24 (Ref:2053211)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Not sure at all what is causing this and I am sure it is affecting my performance as I would be more confident when during hard braking and changing gears the wheel didn't shake with me holding it one handed.
Is it just during braking or all the time?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:26 (Ref:2053213)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alignment checked?

I use to get this high speed vibration when my bearings were about to go. I change bearings each winter and that vibration never returned.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2053229)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was suggested the tyres may be flat spotted but wouldn't that show up during balancing ?

It's all the time at high speed too, the actual dash shakes a bit..
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:06 (Ref:2053231)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was suggested the tyres may be flat spotted but wouldn't that show up during balancing ?

Dash shaking? Not good.

I would also check any and all suppnesion connections. Ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bolts.

It is more then just tires or wheel balancing.

Good Luck
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:23 (Ref:2053245)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:

No, they would just add weight to balance out any differential in the tyre but it still wont get rid of any flat or high spots.
Jack the car up and rotate each wheel while running your hand over the surface of the tread to feel for any bulges, flat spots will be more difficult to find.
Was it doing it at your first race last week?
Start with the simple stuff and try another set of wheels and tyres on it.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2053248)   #9
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make a fixed pointer, Mag mount and a scriber works well, or even a DTI[clock gauge] and check for Runout on the wheel when on the car, could quite easily be a bent wheel or bent hub, Check the rears as well
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:08 (Ref:2053376)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I hope it isn't anything like ball joints - it's been checked and prepared by the team I get to run it.

The car is about 80 miles away from me now, but I'm going to see if I can get it out on track and the team guy can have a shot in it to see what he thinks.

I am buying a new set of tyres for next year, so maybe that will cure it. The car had sat for the best part of a year, not being raced at all.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2053382)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Check the wheel bearings
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:08 (Ref:2053411)   #12
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Car sat for a year? on jackstands or its tires? If it sat on its tires, I would say the tires are shot and flat spotted do the cars weight.

IMO race cars should not sit on race tires, jack stands between events or OLD wheels and tires, but not the race tires.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:29 (Ref:2053431)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
When I viewed it, it was sitting on it's tyres.

It came with 8 wheels/tyres though so they have been swapped about a bit, but maybe a new set will solve it.

Maybe I should of maxed out the credit card last weekend and got new tyres! I just thought as it was my first race, and the last of the season there wasn't much point in going for new tyres.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2053612)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
before you get new tires, I would check every bolt in each wheel well, suppension, ball joints, then bearings- everything.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 02:07 (Ref:2053734)   #15
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would take a lot to make the dash shake.Balance problems seem to kick in about highway cruising speed -annoying-but then lessen as speed rises (other people tell me).Yours sounds like flat spot tyres or bent driveshaft.Chances are it didn't get a bent shaft sitting around so ....

If it is a balance thing,some workshops balance "on the car"which is better as other rotating components may be a tad out.

Finally if it is more pronounced under brakes it may be pad material unevenly deposited on the rotors AS WELL.This can be sanded off use garnet paper.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 07:28 (Ref:2053808)   #16
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assume the steering wheel is a clock. The centre of the shaking left to right at the rim edge will point the direction of where the problem is located in the car. This will help point the way.........trikes
Old 22 Nov 2007, 22:35 (Ref:2073843)   #17
fredmol
Rookie

fredmol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the tires are ok and there is no mechanical issues, this problem can be a shimmy phenomena. How much caster angle are you using?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 23:45 (Ref:2079079)   #18
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
unless its something little, its tyres,
esp if they a bit old, and not road tyres, its tyres.
at 100mph it dont take much to be a bit unbalanced!!!!!