Old 8 Oct 2003, 06:05 (Ref:743657)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Miller speaks the Truth!?!?!?

From the guys at crapwagon/cartfanatics.com:

(1)RM says that Junky will be racing for Haas in the EARL next year, while Dario Franchitti will join Newman/? in CART!?

(2)RM also said that Valiante will be racing at Fontana for Walker Racing!?

Did anybody listen to the show last night?.....What are your thoughts on this?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 10:24 (Ref:743865)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can definitely see Bruno moving over to the IRL, he doesn't seem to quite fit into CART this year - anyone else agree? I remember an interview with him and his sister where they both seemed a little down that so many of their racing friends had moved to another series. As for Dario, the other rumour on these message boards is that he's considering racing in the DTM. I'd certainly be happy to see him back in CART, though...
Old 8 Oct 2003, 13:48 (Ref:744101)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's an odd thing to say Testure, but I agree. I think it's a fair trade Dario for Junky. If Dario still has it then I think we're ahead. Pook should be giving Dario an official applogy for that unfair penalty. (he's already admitted to it) Let's get him back.

Valiante at Fontana? Very cool hope it's true.

Last edited by Snrub; 8 Oct 2003 at 13:49.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 14:12 (Ref:744117)   #4
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I reported that Dario Franchitti is indeed considering a return to DTM (the interest seem to be mutual), I have also heard that his wife, actress Ashley Judd, would prefer to see him quitting racing altogether.

When I was in Indianapolis for the United States GP I talked to several "insiders" (including a two CART mechanics hanging out with IRL peers) and nobody seem to believe that Walker would field a third car this year.

But this may not be too bad: Walker is on the verge of signing a "significant" sponsorship deal for 2003. Not a renewal, but a new contract.

Muzza
Old 8 Oct 2003, 14:22 (Ref:744126)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interseting- I would love Dario Back, junky well never stirred feeling good or bad, never could get behind him as a fan like for dario, or any one else..
Old 8 Oct 2003, 14:25 (Ref:744128)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought Bourdais was more likely to go to the IRL than Junqueira......

I'd be suprised if Franchitti is racing in CART next year.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 16:47 (Ref:744278)   #7
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't put much stock into what Robin Miller says anymore.I can't see Paul Newman agreeing to let Bruno go to the IRL.
Bruno wants to race at Indy, but I don't think he has much of a desire to do the IRL full-time. He's said that he enjoys CART for its diversity.
If he does go, I don't think it will be willingly. It could be coercing on the part of Haas and Toyota.

However, let's wait and see. Like I said, it's only speculation on RM's part. Like many of his recent speculations, this one probably won't happen.
I just hope people won't start bashing Bruno (I just looked at your "source", Dov...yikes! ) before getting the facts.

Last edited by MLM; 8 Oct 2003 at 16:51.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 17:46 (Ref:744351)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
What's wrong with the "source", MLM?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 19:21 (Ref:744431)   #9
ringo-r
Rookie

ringo-r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He CANT leave now!
I was just starting to like the kid!

I'd take Franchitti back though!
Old 8 Oct 2003, 19:32 (Ref:744438)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does make one wonder with Carl Haas apparently looking hard at a Indy 500 run that he might take Junqueria to the IRL. I think it would be almost impossible to just go to Indy without any experience and run competitively there. Only a few have done it over the years. If Junqueria was to run the season thought he would be up to speed with the cars and the opponents.

I think Dario bolted last year because Andretti offered him a good deal with a good team and he honestly thought that CART would be gone. He might now have a lot of regrets at this point and that may be exactly why he is still not back in his car after only he was only expected to be out for the 500.
Never forget #99
Old 8 Oct 2003, 21:07 (Ref:744526)   #11
MLM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
What's wrong with the "source", MLM?
Nothing except some people are ready to string up Bruno over a darn rumour.
I can understand if people get upset IF it would become fact.
But, it may not even happen. Like I said, I don't always have faith in RM's speculations.
So, let's and see what happens.
Or what doesn't happen.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 21:17 (Ref:744533)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Fair enough!
Old 8 Oct 2003, 23:52 (Ref:744634)   #13
MLM
Veteran

Thanks for sharing the news, Dov.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 03:24 (Ref:744735)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ever notice how all CART drivers say they like the diversity of the series and how all IRL drivers say they love the wheel to wheel action. Although the later is often qualified by saying "because it's great for the fans."

I think there must be some CART drivers that don't like street courses (or atleast more than a couple) and/or ovals. In the past I'm sure there were ones disliked road courses. I'm sure in the IRL there are drivers who are a bit sick of ovals and dislike the fact that they never actually remove their foot from 90% throttle. (same must be true for the CART ovals this year) They don't say it because neither series can afford to have drivers saying bad things like that.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 15:43 (Ref:745376)   #15
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's the thing that never gets talked about in regards to the split. I think the drivers got hurt bad by the split. This is their lifestyle and I would bet you, to a man, that open wheel drivers would prefer one series, all four style courses with the Indy 500 as the marquee event. Other than the fans the drivers got hosed the most by the bickering over the years. The split is bad for owners, drivers and fans. That's what makes it so stupid. It doesn't benefit anybody having two series. Now that OWRS is taking over they can pretend like they don't want anything to do with the other side but many of the drivers are still dealing with the ill effects of the split.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 01:48 (Ref:745835)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno was under extremely heavy pressure (we will not call it "threat") from Target Fat Racing to desert when the aforementioned quitters jumped ship, and he resisted to the last. That is fact. The idea of him now caving in when he's just about to win a championship is hard to credit, no matter who tells of it.

I agree that Mr. Judd is under spousal barrage to quit racing (has been since his accident at Homestead -- an oval, I might point out), and I would imagine that this same spouse was behind his jumping ship to begin with so Miss Movie Star would not have to go too far from her adoring public (and fie upon HIS A.P. -- dangling at her apron string ought to be enough for him!) IMO a man who allows his wife to decide his career for him will never have the courage to unmake her decision on his behalf.

Should he suddenly recover his, er, manhood and declare that he wishes to return, I have no doubt a place would be made for him.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 03:00 (Ref:745859)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I have not seen a documented reference to this demand of Mrs. Franchitti - has anyone else? Dario seems to be calling his own shots.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:25 (Ref:746187)   #18
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
I have not seen a documented reference to this demand of Mrs. Franchitti - has anyone else? Dario seems to be calling his own shots.
Hello, JohnSSC,

To my knowledge there have been no published reports on Ashley Judd pressuring Dario to re-orient his career, but a few usually well-informed journalists have talked about it off the record. Actually I could not see it differently, as it is a private matter within the couple (even if it - assuming it is true - would have consequences to his career).

(no matter how much I dislike to type this, maybe this is something that we will learn in the pages of The National Enquirer... )

May I add that I have not heard that Mrs. Franchitti asked Dario to stop - this specifically would surprise me -, but instead to question whether oval racing is really worth (as I am not keen of ovals, I found that an interesting comment).

Cheers,

Muzza

Last edited by Muzza; 10 Oct 2003 at 11:30.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 11:51 (Ref:746209)   #19
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, link? Personal interview? Source? As I understand it, you're a journalist. Where does this come from about Dario-Ashley?
Old 10 Oct 2003, 12:49 (Ref:746252)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comes from a private source, who was invited to a press conference given by the members of the Judd family who nursed him back to health after the Homestead Crash. AND to another source within Champ Cars who said more than he should have and then clammed up when he realised that although he hadn't yet named names, he'd given enough detail so we could easily know whom he had been discussing. This was soon after they were married.

They are legitimate sources but as Muzza and others no doubt know, people do tell you "keep me out of it" and you have to do it or they'll never tell you anything else.

I agree that it's for them to decide and not for me, but I personally think the first Mrs. Mikey ruined his F1 career with the same kind of demand, and this appears to me to be the same kind of exercise.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 16:14 (Ref:746462)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Comes from a private source, who was invited to a press conference given by the members of the Judd family who nursed him back to health after the Homestead Crash.
Are we talking about the crash at Homestead he had leading up to the 2000 season?
Old 11 Oct 2003, 01:01 (Ref:746882)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Yes.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:59 (Ref:765169)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
From another forum.....

Valiante in for Fontana
Someone started a thread with this rumor. Well, the Entry List for fontana at CART.com has 20 cars, one of them a Walker Car for Michael Valiante. Cool!!

http://www.cart.com/Content/PDF/Res...27PDFR_0001.pdf

Of course, this all depends on the Fontana race going ahead as scheduled.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 23:57 (Ref:765229)   #24
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great for valiente- where is almendinger?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 00:47 (Ref:765245)   #25
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a damn good question. but AJ will problably move up with the RUSSO gang who needs to be established where are they going to find the personal and equipment. Valiente is already rolling with the Walker Ballers.