Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Dec 2002, 19:11 (Ref:440681)   #1
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford exit???

Quote:
F1-Urgestein Ford auf Sparkurs
Köln. Der Formel 1 droht ein erneuter Tiefschlag: Ford, seit 1963 ununterbrochen dabei, plant seinen Rückzug aus der Königsklasse des Motorsports. Grund für diesen Entschluss sollen nach Angaben des Kölner 'Express' rigorose Sparpläne des Automobilkonzerns sein. Der Jaguar-Rennstall, zu 100 Prozent in Ford-Hand, steht somit vor dem Aus. Offensichtlich war der Rausschmiss von Niki Lauda als Teamchef bei den 'Raubkatzen' nur der erste Schritt zum totalen Rückzug.
Ford leidet unter massiven Geldproblemen und will durch die Beendigung des Formel-1-Engagements einen dreistelligen Millionen-Betrag einsparen. Zwar kann der zweitgrößte Autohersteller der Welt damit einen großen Schritt in Richtung eigene Sanierung machen, die Formel 1 bringt er dadurch jedoch gehörig ins ****en. Denn von einem Ford-Ausstieg wäre nicht nur Jaguar betroffen, sondern auch Jordan und Minardi. Beide Teams sollten für die Saison 2003 Cosworth-Ford-Aggregate auf Kaufbasis erhalten.

Während Jaguar wohl noch das Jahr 2003 als 'Abschieds-Saison' bestreiten wird, gilt als sicher, dass Minardi auf keinen Fall Motoren bekommt. Ein Start des Hinterbänkler-Teams von Paul Stoddart ist damit sehr fraglich. Auch die Existenz des Jordan-Teams, das mit Ford einen Motoren-Deal für 2003 vereinbart hatte, gerät ins ****en. Zudem fehlt Teamchef Eddie Jordan nach dem Ausstieg von Jordan-Hauptsponsor Deutsche Post noch das Geld, um die Triebwerke bezahlen zu können. Er setzt zwar alle möglichen Hebel in Bewegung, um das drohende Aus seines Rennstalls und somit eine Schwächung der Formel 1 zu verhindern, bisher allerdings ohne Erfolg.
To summarize in English:

Ford (and therefore Cosworth) will stop its F1 activities because of their financial problems, they think they will save millions if they drop the F1 programme.
Jaguar will run the 2003 season, as a "farewell-tour".

According to the article the delivery of engines to Minardi is certainly not going to happen, the deal with Jordan is very uncertain.
Apart from Ford's decision there is another problem with Jordan anyways since they can't pay for the engines after Deutsche Post stopped their sponsoring. And Cosworth doesn't like teams that can't pay.

Speaking about teams that can't pay, if it's all true then Arrows will certainly not be running Cosworth engines IF they come back.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 19:13 (Ref:440682)   #2
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, forgot the source

http://formel-eins.rtl.de/11189.html
Old 1 Dec 2002, 19:42 (Ref:440691)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this were happening in Champ Cars, it would be a cue for everyone to start crying doom and gloom.

Therefore: This means that F1 is dying and I give it one more year before it's Ferrari, Williams and McLaren racing by themselves in front of no audience, because everyone will be watching Champ Cars.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 19:59 (Ref:440698)   #4
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cosworth pulling out? Thats unimaginable, it would be like Ferrari quitting. Sucks about Ford, this sad American was hoping they'd put together a serious effort, drop the Jag name, paint the cars blue & white, and win a championship.

Like that would ever happen.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 20:07 (Ref:440703)   #5
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
If this were happening in Champ Cars, it would be a cue for everyone to start crying doom and gloom.

Therefore: This means that F1 is dying and I give it one more year before it's Ferrari, Williams and McLaren racing by themselves in front of no audience, because everyone will be watching Champ Cars.

I don't have Sky or Cable so I can't watch Champ Cars. I do have bike racing and rallying though!
Old 2 Dec 2002, 01:58 (Ref:440865)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Look on the brighter side - if Minardi, Jordan and an unlikely contender Arrows cannot get Cosworth engines, they won't make the cut for 2003. The old Asiatech engines won't get anyone onto the grid to make the 107% time, that's for sure, no matter how much whoever can lay their hands on them tries to tweak them.
And if these three teams don't make the grid, that's the end of the Concord agreement.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 02:23 (Ref:440871)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One year ago I would have cared. Not anymore. Thanks Max.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 02:59 (Ref:440884)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
This could mean the 2003 season is kaput!!!
I must say that I do care. I would like to see a better F1, true!! But I would not like to see the demise of F1.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 04:23 (Ref:440894)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Time to hit the streets Valve
Attached Thumbnails
nigh f1.jpg  
Old 2 Dec 2002, 05:36 (Ref:440902)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't even feel worth saving anymore...

Viva CART!
Old 2 Dec 2002, 06:09 (Ref:440914)   #11
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Look on the brighter side - if Minardi, Jordan and an unlikely contender Arrows cannot get Cosworth engines, they won't make the cut for 2003. And if these three teams don't make the grid, that's the end of the Concord agreement.
Its not that simple. Bernie started the idea of the CA and as long hes around there will always be one. The current one will be amended or a new one will be written up and the remaining teams will line up to sign it for their greater share of the TV and bond money.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 06:22 (Ref:440921)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, a new Concord agreement with more money for everyone wouldn't go astray.

Good one, Armco. When do the Kiwis come over for the next test series?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 06:22 (Ref:440922)   #13
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a bugger eh! Hope its not true
Old 2 Dec 2002, 08:47 (Ref:440963)   #14
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not.

And I can't understand why so many of you believed it was?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:05 (Ref:441027)   #15
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utter tripe.

Ford would not pull out of F1 - they would bin Jaguar first and sell engines to Jordan and Minardi.

By the way if this was true do you think Cart would be sweating as they only have Ford engines for the next two years.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:25 (Ref:441041)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
oops!

Last edited by Fogelhund; 2 Dec 2002 at 11:33.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:26 (Ref:441042)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There were some stories months ago about Ford shelving the Jag program at the end of 03' and just supplying engines henceforth.

and Liz, the difference with F1 is, that there are still quite a few manufacturers left and interested. Additionally, F1 makes millions annually, while CART loses millions.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:52 (Ref:441051)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they are now losing money because television viewers are down -- and they'll be dropping even farther if the grid is reduced to a dozen cars, as will attendance (they did back in the FISA/FOCA days when they once got down to FOUR cars)

But basically that was sarcasm as neither F1 nor Champ Cars are likely to disappear next year; I just wanted my turn at Doom and Gloom.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:58 (Ref:441062)   #19
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think that the article has way overblown the problem. I can see Ford terminating the Jaguar venture for lack of results and high costs, but taking Cosworth out of F1 and CART? Not likely. Who knows how many other series they are supplying engines too? What about Formula Ford? If Cosworth is going to sell engines to the racing world, they need to remain a supplier at the top level.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 12:09 (Ref:441072)   #20
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This story is boll*cks as it has been announced that Minardi do have an engine deal for next year, with options after that!
Old 2 Dec 2002, 16:19 (Ref:441205)   #21
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do contracts have to do with anything?

They don't mean squat anymore...
Old 2 Dec 2002, 17:56 (Ref:441278)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Tell that to Rubens.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 18:03 (Ref:441284)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford isn't spending nearly as much on CART as they are on F1, though... It's all about return on investment, and right now they're not getting any return on their enormous F1 investment!
Old 3 Dec 2002, 00:50 (Ref:441488)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Just dumping Irvine's salary ought to save them enough to run Minardi for 2003!
Old 3 Dec 2002, 01:36 (Ref:441495)   #25
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American car companies are more concerned about ROI than building up a distinguished racing heritage outside of the US. Heck, inside the US even, but outside of NASCAR.

I can see Jaguar being axed, since by many accounts it's a monetary black hole. Cosworth, however, seem to be holding their own.