Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 18 Apr 2012, 03:40 (Ref:3061251)   #1
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst Race Sim

I've just been handed a copy of the May APC magazine which includes a free copy of "Driving Speed 2" which is apparently an Australian racing sim that includes Bathurst. There's a pro version that can also be purchased, but I don't have access to the "gaming" website from work to check it out.

http://www.wheelspinstudios.com/products.html

I don't have any connections to the site, just thought others might also be interested... particularly for people like me who would have liked the Bathurst track to have been included in titles like GT5.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 18 Apr 2012, 04:23 (Ref:3061257)   #2
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
:-/

I'm having a hard time finding information about this game, but looked at a YouTube video and wasn't really moved by it. Maybe it's because I'm on my cell right now, but it looks a bit dated, visually, like it belongs on a PS2. Sure, folks can overlook that, but it's still an issue. Overall presentation looked remarkably dull and generic; again, can be overlooked but still shameful nonetheless. Allegedly the physics are great, but it looked questionable in the video I saw, and it looked like the car drove through grass and even a sand trap as though they were asphalt.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 05:42 (Ref:3061259)   #3
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I just took a look at the videos... I was initially impressed by the traditional cars... then saw the horrific physics. Definitely out of date, which I guess is why it is free.

I think they were releasing versions of it for iPhone etc. but on looking at it more deeply, it doesn't have much appeal.

But give me a decent Bathurst sim, with the original "touring cars" and I'll buy it in a second.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3061275)   #4
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Codemasters games, the "TOCA"/"Pro Race Driver" series (and IIRC in Australia "V8 Supercars") for the PS2 were actually very good, in many ways superior to the Turismos of the day. Full field, full length races, complete race weekends with practice/qually/race(s), and the full season schedule with all of the tracks. It had physics that weren't all that horrible. damage that was almost realistic... all of which were better than any PS2 Turismo product.

I just wish that there was a XBox 360 version. I know they did "Grid", but compared to their previous games, Grid felt very much dumbed down and generic... for one thing, everything I said about the V8s in PRD/TOCA is missing, including the V8s themselves.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3061285)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
There are a few versions floating around on rFactor plus you can run any type of car you like around there. 80's touring cars being especially fun!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3061294)   #6
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ If I had the proper computer and connection, I would probably be on rFactor or iRacing 25 hours a day.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3061387)   #7
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valet_dave View Post
I've just been handed a copy of the May APC magazine which includes a free copy of "Driving Speed 2" which is apparently an Australian racing sim that includes Bathurst. There's a pro version that can also be purchased, but I don't have access to the "gaming" website from work to check it out.

http://www.wheelspinstudios.com/products.html

I don't have any connections to the site, just thought others might also be interested... particularly for people like me who would have liked the Bathurst track to have been included in titles like GT5.

Cheers,
Dave
Is this Australian Personal Computer magazine? And is it the latest issue on shelves? Im quite intrigued. Wouldnt mind having a look at this.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 03:33 (Ref:3061820)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by valet_dave View Post
Yeah, I just took a look at the videos... I was initially impressed by the traditional cars... then saw the horrific physics. Definitely out of date, which I guess is why it is free.

But give me a decent Bathurst sim, with the original "touring cars" and I'll buy it in a second.
rFactor has an extremely accurate 2005/2006 Bathurst circuit as well as Group A Touring Cars!
Old 20 Apr 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3062415)   #9
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
rFactor has an extremely accurate 2005/2006 Bathurst circuit as well as Group A Touring Cars!
That's the 'ORSM' Bathurst mod. Easily one of rF's most detailed circuits.
There's a '60s/'70s era mod named 'Bathurst Legends' developed by another group, also.

Might be worth checking out for the OP.