Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:51 (Ref:2066832)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was the first ever car race televised live?

It's almost deffo in the 50's but does anyone know what was the first ever car race that was televised live in its entireity?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2066838)   #2
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In its entirety - probably a club race in the days when the BBC covered them.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 22:41 (Ref:2066918)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know in the late 30's BBC did some live tv broadcasts of motor racing with the commentary being done from one person sitting in a car trackside. At that time I think there were only 2000 TV's in the UK.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 23:26 (Ref:2066953)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The first live BBC car race was the 1947 British GP from Silverstone. I don't remember it as it was the year I was born ! By all accounts it was pretty pathetic, but given the equipment at the time and that nobody had done it before I'm not surprised !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Nov 2007, 08:54 (Ref:2067127)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First live race was Crystal Palace 1937.First British GP was Silverstone 1953.Last British GP NOT televised was Aintree 55-I remember listening to it on radio.First foreign GP was Monaco 59.As to total coverage of GP from start to finish don't think we go this in UK anyway until the 80s.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2067132)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ooo, Contradictions. I like it. We need some sources, I reckon

It doesn't say entirety, but the beeb did cover the 1947 GP:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n21032334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating, The Spectator, Sep 15, 2007
During ITV's drama from Monza on Sunday I thought, too, of BBC television's first attempt at motor-racing in the summer of 1947 on the airfield runways at Silverstone.

They sent game-for-anything Max Robertson to cover it. As the two ace drivers, Raymond Mays (Maserati) and Giuseppe Farina (Ferrari), diced wheel-to-wheel, good Max breathlessly identified 'Maserati in his Mays and Ferrari in his Farina'. They let him stick to tennis after that.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:54 (Ref:2067320)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Its going to be difficult to get a definitive answer on this, as television pictures couldn't be recorded (only on film) until the early to mid 50s. All broadcasting was either done live or filmed and the camera just pointed at a screen. We didn't have a television at home until the mid 50s as they were very expensive. I wonder what Baird would think of today's high def pictures compared with his 30 line images in the 30s !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Nov 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2067418)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was mention sometime in recent past in Motorsport magazine(maybe bill boddy's column?) about the BBC broadcasting races live on tv back in the late 1930's. I remember the article mentioned how many cameras were set up and how the commentary was done.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:23 (Ref:2067844)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
There was mention sometime in recent past in Motorsport magazine(maybe bill boddy's column?) about the BBC broadcasting races live on tv back in the late 1930's. I remember the article mentioned how many cameras were set up and how the commentary was done.
That would have been the 37 Crystal Palace meet.I believe London was the only place with broadcast TV at this time.Cable TV started at the Berlin Olympics 1936,but you needed to be in a hotel in Berlin to see it!
I think the early British GPs from 1948 were broadcast by the BBC but sound only which is where some confusion may arise.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:37 (Ref:2067852)   #10
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
. We didn't have a television at home until the mid 50s as they were very expensive.
The increase in TV ownership was due to the coronation I believe. That's when we first had one. Programmes have gone downhill since
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2068155)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
AFAIK CBS broadcast on television some races in the late 1930's though the limited network available at the time in the USA.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2072812)   #12
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a results of my research for my book on Crystal Palace I can confirm that the first live broadcast on tv was 9 Oct 1937. The broadcast times were
2.25 - 2.55 Heat 1 started at 2.30
3.15 - 3.30 Heat 2 started at 3.10
3.46 - 4.05 This was timed for a demonstration by Seaman in the GP Mercedes
4.15 - 5.00 The final started at 4.15

As the 2 heats lasted 20 mins each and the final 33 minutes, this indicates that all three races were broadcast in full, although Heat 2 seems rather tight, hopefully they didn't cut it with a couple of laps to go !!. So that answers the question.

Last edited by RAP; 21 Nov 2007 at 20:58.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2072896)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well done RAP, but I wonder if anyone remembers seeing it ! I say seeing it as the quality on those "enormous screens" in 1937 left a bit to be desired.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 08:41 (Ref:2073218)   #14
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Well done RAP, but I wonder if anyone remembers seeing it ! I say seeing it as the quality on those "enormous screens" in 1937 left a bit to be desired.
Indeed ! and tv was then only available in London I believe.

Incidentally I also found that on the day before the 20 May 1939 Crystal Palace meeting a demonstration of racing cars was broadcast, culminating in a 2 lap handicap "race" between Dick Nash's 1912 Lorraine Dietrich, a 1914 GP Opel, a Bentley and Arthur Dobson's ERA. Dobson "won" from Nash whose car caught fire after the flag. I would imagine that this was the first "made for tv" event !