Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Aug 2024, 17:52 (Ref:4224309)   #1
Ianthomas
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK SOMERSET
Ianthomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGB racing

Hi there,

This is my first post, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is / was / will be racing an MGB in historics. I have recently bought a 1964 FIA MGB and am starting to get my act together to go racing. Is there a good source of general information (regrading rules for various series, tips etc) that I could tap into? I have been a motorsport fan for over 50 years, but not fro this side of the steering wheel!
Old 29 Aug 2024, 19:34 (Ref:4224322)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to tenths Ian. You have come to the right place. Spa 6 hour coming up and there is always a great debate on how many legal FIA MGB.s will be entered .Stand by to be swamped with information.
Old 29 Aug 2024, 19:44 (Ref:4224326)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all really depends on what level of the sport you wish to compete.

There are the 'clubmen' club events with HSCC, CSCC, Equipe, HRDC series where an FIA MGB could be competitive.
Other series such as Masters, Legends, Gentleman Drivers,etc where you will be up against the very well-heeled professionally prepared and supported drivers will be a lot more expensive.
Old 30 Aug 2024, 08:04 (Ref:4224391)   #4
Ianthomas
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK SOMERSET
Morning! Thank you for your messages. I think I will be better placed to compete in BCV8, Equipe type events, and maybe not in every race. Masters and Legends type events are a little beyond my budget. I was pricing up Dunlop race tyres the other day and was wincing at the price!

I'm in it for the simple enjoyment, I'll probably be not that competitive but that's not an issue for me really. But all tips and advice gratefully received!
Old 30 Aug 2024, 09:23 (Ref:4224396)   #5
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't speak personally but I know people speak highly of the Equipe and CSCC series. You'll find people learning like yourself and that is the nicest environment to start - as long as you have people to race against, it doesn't matter if you're in the bottom quarter of the grid to start with.

As others have mentioned, I'd probably stray clear of Masters/MRL - they really cater for expensive cars and an MGB will unlikely to be competitive with the Elan 26rs etc
Old 2 Sep 2024, 06:39 (Ref:4225183)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really recommend the CSCC as a club and have been racing with it for approx 15 years.
Good driving standards, good value for money, good calendar (inc an annual opportunity to race at Spa), good paddock atmosphere and very member focused.
An FIA MGB will be eligible for both the “Swinging Sixties” series and the “Classic K” series. SS offers 40 min races with a compulsory pit stop for one or two drivers, whilst I think Classic K is similar but either 50 mins or 1 hour races (I can’t remember!)
The next meetings are at Snetterton on 28/29 Sept (SS and CK are on the Saturday) and Oulton Park on Sat 19 Oct. Come along and chat to people, it’s a friendly club and I have no doubt there will be several MGBs entered.
If you have a look at the CSCC website and the club contact details, and then speak to David Smitheram, you may be able to get a free ticket for one of the meetings as a prospective competitor. Tell David that I recommended you contact him!
There is also a CSCC Swinging Sixties Facebook group, which you could join, introduce yourself, and ask loads of questions - you will get help.
Good luck with whatever you decide, and enjoy.
Old 3 Sep 2024, 08:48 (Ref:4225312)   #7
Ianthomas
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK SOMERSET
Thank you Andy, that's very useful! Have now looked into Swinging Sixties series and it.looks pretty much what I'm after. Especially pleased that the tyre regs are not so strict (or expensive!). I am going to try to get to Oulton Park as you suggested. Thank again!
Old 3 Sep 2024, 09:42 (Ref:4225315)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthomas View Post
Thank you Andy, that's very useful! Have now looked into Swinging Sixties series and it.looks pretty much what I'm after. Especially pleased that the tyre regs are not so strict (or expensive!). I am going to try to get to Oulton Park as you suggested. Thank again!
Glad to be of help. I might be wrong but I think Swinging Sixties race on Yokohama A048s as supplied by Adams & Page as they help sponsor the series.
Classic K race on whatever the designated “proper” historic tyre is, Dunlop L or M or something?! As you can tell, I don’t race in SS or CK so not the expert!
Old 4 Sep 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4225411)   #9
Ianthomas
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK SOMERSET
Thanks Andy, even more useful information. It's all coming together!