Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Sep 2007, 16:18 (Ref:2006203)   #1
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the 2010 P1 cars look like this...

I'm so in.

P1

Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2006223)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's looking like an extreme version of the Zonda GT1 car.

IMO the new generation of LMP1 cars have to look like the Audi R8C.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:26 (Ref:2006235)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think those both are in the ball park. Maybe a little wider cockpit on the Audi and a little less GT500 looking with the Zonda, front and rear aero appendages.

L.P.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:43 (Ref:2006243)   #4
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could they possibly paste more cheesy go-fast stuff on there? Reminds me of a swoopier (and even more grotesque) Pontiac Grand Am.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2006246)   #5
pitviper
Racer

The emphasis is on "going faster" though, Tom. i've been speaking with Pagani about this project and there are only a few being made; all but one have been spoken for. It was basically made to be the ultimate Zonda racecar, built to know specific sanctioning body's regulations, just to make the ultimate Zonda track car. In my opinion (and I've always been respecting of yours ;-), the look is far more "brutal fast" than "cheesy". It is not road legal, and it is much in the vein of the Ferrari FXX and the Maserati MC12 VC. Personally, i would love to see a "Trans Am" style race between these three types of cars... Now that would get me to watch.

As for the other comments, I agree with you HD, I think that this will be in the ball park, a bit in between R8C and Super GT is what we'll see... at any rate, cars like this Pagani make my Italian blood flow faster... And Tom, if you do not like the "aero add-on" bewinged look of the Zonda R, just wait until the public sees the Zonda's successor (Project C9)... I think even you will find it a stunning beauty...

pit

Last edited by pitviper; 7 Sep 2007 at 17:51.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2006247)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is impressive in a way, although it is not my idea of a beautiful car. There is too much going on.

Speacking hypothetically, I would actually prefer the current 908 to be more the style. Although I am not against the ACO's changes in principle.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:59 (Ref:2006251)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They should look like 908's, the Bentley's etc.... just current P1 cars with roofs.

That Zonda is a bit "Max Power" really.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:18 (Ref:2006264)   #8
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
They should look like 908's, the Bentley's etc.... just current P1 cars with roofs.

The current cars, with a roof looks like bettle that has been stepped on, genuinely ugly.

I thought there was certain P cars that were considered ugly, p1 acars, witth roofs are just as bad.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2006265)   #9
pitviper
Racer

The Bentley was a beautful machine, especially the 2001/2002 versions, but The 908 seems to have just as much "going on" as this Zonda. I don't like the "bird nose" on it really at all. I love the coupe form, but it doesn't really do it for me.

Don't get me wrong, the proposed coupe versions of the "current" P1 machines such as the designs we saw from Lola, Radical and Creation (like below) are very gorgeous as well (as well as the struggling-to-be-developed Epsilon), and much "cleaner" and more beautiful than the current 908. I just also think that the Zonda R has just as purposeful a look, and combines many of the LMP aspects with a road car quite nicely... it may be just me though ;-)

pit

Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:22 (Ref:2006266)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking more on the lines of an XJ220 rather than the single seater nosed coupe that the 908 is. As I believe that was going to be part of the criteria for the new coupe with also trying to draw GM, AM and Saleen into the class among others.

L.P.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:25 (Ref:2006269)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The 220 was a good looking car, if a bit big. Interestingly I thought it looked like a Jaguar, despite being rear engined and not really like anything else they did. I guess it is that ability the ACO would like to se in other cars.

pitviper, yes the Peugeot has a lot going on, although not as much and not in an angular style like the Zonda above. Curves are nice.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:31 (Ref:2006276)   #12
pitviper
Racer

of course, going back to this wouldn't be bad either ;-)

and the Mooncraft Shinden proves that even a Daytona Prototype chassis has potential...

pit

Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:33 (Ref:2006279)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon we'll see cars looking like the late 90's GT1s

Merc CLR

Porsche 911 GT1 '98 - it is reckoned porsche will be producing a spiritual sucessor to this for 2010 with a works team, and, porsche being porsche, customer cars

I think that the Audi of 2010 will be like the R10 but with a front end based on the r8 road car.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:34 (Ref:2006282)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper
of course, going back to this wouldn't be bad either ;-)

We have a winner!
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:45 (Ref:2006292)   #15
pitviper
Racer

JohnT, that's exactly what I'm thinking too... cars like the Zonda in my opinion would fit in nicely as well, and would also provide a very diverse look in the class. I would love to see P1 versions of the S7, and MC12, just as it would be awesome to see a spiritual successor to the 911 GT1-98. These are the types of cars that I want to see in the top class... I would like to see the move away from the "fendered F1" look. To me it just doesn't say Sports Prototype.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:52 (Ref:2006300)   #16
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
The 220 was a good looking car, if a bit big. Interestingly I thought it looked like a Jaguar, despite being rear engined and not really like anything else they did. I guess it is that ability the ACO would like to se in other cars.

pitviper, yes the Peugeot has a lot going on, although not as much and not in an angular style like the Zonda above. Curves are nice.
Rightly or wrongly(?) I believe it is the ability of the cars in question to project that (your perception of the Jag) quality, to present and future fans that the ACO is seeking in the new 2010 P-1/GT-1 amalgum. So that there will be value for other Mfg's to enter into P-1 as it will be recognizable as their Marque. Therefore growing the sport into the future and also reigning in the F1 with fenders and a top movement back towards a two seater Sports Car, IMO!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 7 Sep 2007 at 18:54.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2006311)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I see the value in it too.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 19:11 (Ref:2006317)   #18
pitviper
Racer

And I think that this is the similar thought of all of us who are in a way championing this idea moving forward. It appears as the FIA is trying to take a leading role in moving the GT classes forward, while the ACO is doing the same thing with the Prototype classes...

pit
Old 8 Sep 2007, 05:04 (Ref:2006560)   #19
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
something more like this?...
Old 8 Sep 2007, 05:18 (Ref:2006563)   #20
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I reckon we'll see cars looking like the late 90's GT1s

Merc CLR

Porsche 911 GT1 '98 - it is reckoned porsche will be producing a spiritual sucessor to this for 2010 with a works team, and, porsche being porsche, customer cars

I think that the Audi of 2010 will be like the R10 but with a front end based on the r8 road car.
There's just one problem with the coupes of the late 90s (the Mercedes CLR, Porsche GT1 98, Audi R8C...) they were notorious for aero issues, specifically, the Mercedes and Porsche being blown over, and the Audi R8C having its door and bonnet cover sucked off. So I would think a design like that is out of the question.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 05:53 (Ref:2006569)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The Zonda there reminds me of the MC12.... This is no bad thing, to my mind, given I like the look a lot.

HOWEVER, in the context of prototypes...I'm not sure it is quite right. I guess the best I can put it is that I think yon Zonda wouldn't look particularly out of place on the road, whereas, for me, prototypes should look in such a way that they would seem out of place on the road.

I guess it is a bit of a stupid way of approaching things, but I can't help it.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 07:33 (Ref:2006598)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
The Zonda there reminds me of the MC12.... This is no bad thing, to my mind, given I like the look a lot.

HOWEVER, in the context of prototypes...I'm not sure it is quite right. I guess the best I can put it is that I think yon Zonda wouldn't look particularly out of place on the road, whereas, for me, prototypes should look in such a way that they would seem out of place on the road.

I guess it is a bit of a stupid way of approaching things, but I can't help it.
I tend to agree with you- apart from anything else, trying to give a prototype a hint of the manufacturer's road car styling themes doesn't always work- Peugeot got it right with the original version of the 905
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-05-19-006.jpg
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-23-005.jpg
on the other hand I think the Audi concept posted above is unspeakably ugly, and Mercedes' attempt to include production styling cues in their GT1 cars just produced something that visually couldn't decide whether it was a prototype or a squashed CLK Coupe...
Old 8 Sep 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2006665)   #23
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper
(as well as the struggling-to-be-developed Epsilon)
who said it was struggeling?, just because there not releasing any info to the public doesnt mean it is struggeling.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2006819)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

But looking at my cabinent the 2001/2 Bentley looks very different to the 2003 car.

The 2001 car is sleek and stylish, the 2003 has heavy single seater influences.

A 2001 type car is what the ACO are aiming for.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:38 (Ref:2006824)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I liked both looks, although I certainly preferred the 01/02 iterations of Bentleys as they had a smoother look. But it's not as if you are comparing an open top car with a closed top car when comparing the Bentleys!

So 2001 type cars would suit very nicely thanks, but single seater influenced cars wouldn't hurt me greatly either.