Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Dec 2002, 14:00 (Ref:448342)   #1
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine turns down Bentley

Eddie Irvine has turned down an opportunity to join to Bentley dream team. Is he dreaming with a F1 drive? Jordan has no money to pay him....

http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...9&language_id=
Old 12 Dec 2002, 14:53 (Ref:448374)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to yesterdys MOTORSPORT NEWS newspaper, Irvine has said hes not turning down the drive but hes not accepting at the moment either, he said it was one of his options for 2003.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 16:17 (Ref:448436)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
crash.net. Gotta love 'em.

Headline says what SFonseca says. Body says what Saleen S7R says. And their source, the Daily Telegraph, doesn't appear to have a website for you to confirm it independently.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Dec 2002, 19:11 (Ref:448537)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a shame, hopefully this will mean that we will see Andy Wallace in the Bentley next year................
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:25 (Ref:448614)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
What a shame, hopefully this will mean that we will see Andy Wallace in the Bentley next year................
We really do think much too alike.

Irvine turning Bentley down? That guy really takes the biscuit. Does he seriously think he still has a future in F1?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:27 (Ref:448616)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

Irvine turning Bentley down? That guy really takes the biscuit. Does he seriously think he still has a future in F1?
Could not agree more - looks like we are are the same wave length again
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:28 (Ref:448618)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

As I say, read MOTORSPORT NEWS and the story is a little differnt..
Old 12 Dec 2002, 22:40 (Ref:448673)   #8
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Ayse, I recall Racing for Britain, what the hell happened ? (see Blundell thread)

I don't know what most of you have against Irvine, OK he shouts a lot but what I have seen he is pretty fast, he has done LM at least twice, and finished. For a team they look good, pretty sure they will not win, they never do, but they will get the headlines. Lead from pole for the TV and press. Then the 2nd team will take the win, 1 2 3 over the line, 3 more stars for the press to grab.

All in all it will be great for the Le Mans race.

Plus he was probably a bit of a sportscar star before his fame in F1, his Toyota races were well known in Japan and may have helped getting a F1 drive

Simon
Old 12 Dec 2002, 22:44 (Ref:448680)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Yes Ayse, I recall Racing for Britain, what the hell happened ? (see Blundell thread)

I don't know what most of you have against Irvine, OK he shouts a lot but what I have seen he is pretty fast, he has done LM at least twice, and finished. For a team they look good, pretty sure they will not win, they never do, but they will get the headlines. Lead from pole for the TV and press. Then the 2nd team will take the win, 1 2 3 over the line, 3 more stars for the press to grab.

All in all it will be great for the Le Mans race.

Plus he was probably a bit of a sportscar star before his fame in F1, his Toyota races were well known in Japan and may have helped getting a F1 drive

Simon
I can see where u are coming from there Simon, I just do not think that Irvine, would fitting in to the Bentley set-up, but then again I might be wrong, we will see what happens............
Old 12 Dec 2002, 22:55 (Ref:448688)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
No question Irvine is fast, it just seems as though he has come to think a bit too highly of himself, and hasn't been much of a team player the past few years.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 22:55 (Ref:448689)   #11
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ta Rob,

I'm sure he would rather the year round Jordan contract before the one off Bentley one, who would not ? However should Eddie Jordan not have funds the hopefully Bentley will be pride of place and I hope he takes it with honour.

He can race and I do hope he gets pole.

Simon
Old 12 Dec 2002, 23:04 (Ref:448698)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Simon, They will also be running at Sebring next year as well.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 11:46 (Ref:450316)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
basically if irvine doesn't pitch up at jordan next year, he'll be jumping at this drive quicker than something else he'd normally be jumping at.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 17:15 (Ref:451257)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
irvine

Bentley would be wise not to take up Irvine.

In F1, he has shown that he is a lazy loud mouth , likely to disrepute the people he works with, he couldn't last for 24hrs.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 09:00 (Ref:451679)   #15
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: irvine

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Bentley would be wise not to take up Irvine.

In F1, he has shown that he is a lazy loud mouth , likely to disrepute the people he works with, he couldn't last for 24hrs.
While I agree he would not be my first choice, I don't think he is lazy and he has 'lasted' at LM before.
I think the amount of press coverage he would generate, would on balance be good for Bentley & LM.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 12:24 (Ref:451786)   #16
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Nah, I can't stand the prat, Bentley and Le Mans can do without him. If Bentley were to win, they would certainly get more than enough coverage for themselves and Le Mans.

I suspect EI is like Villeneuve, he thinks he can just turn up as an ex-F1 driver and win. Also after years racing the F1 go-karts will he still have the same skills for Le Mans that he had before? I mean, he will have to change gears, have throttle control, overtake etc. etc.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 15:29 (Ref:451878)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I know what u mean, and Irvine probably coudnt, but if u put Villuneve in a competitive car ie one of the Audis or a Bentley and he probably could.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 16:54 (Ref:451912)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sorry, but I just don't rate him. OK, he had a couple of reasonable drives for Toyota at LM - yes, he might even have won in 1994, but what did he achieve in F1 - not a lot with the machinery available - IMO.

I suspect he might end up needing Le Mans more than Le Mans needs him......
Old 17 Dec 2002, 16:58 (Ref:451918)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I guess what ur saying is partly true, but when he was at Ferrari nobody was going to beat MS, he fouled up towards the end of 1999 but at the time the car wasnt as good as the Mclarens, the only reason ferrari were in the hunt in the 1999 season, until Silverstone was because of MS.

Irvine isnt a fantastic driver although he is still good, that isnt to say that I think he is good enough to deserve a drive at Bentley alongside Herbert and Mcnish (if Mcnish signs.) because I dont think he is, but maybe in a Oreca Dallara - if they enter or a Courage.

It would be a shame to see Irvine go out of racing altogether, whilst he has a big mouth and attitude to go with it hes still a good driver and brings a bit of atmosphere to races, particualy when hes in a good car.

RANT OVER:
Old 17 Dec 2002, 17:01 (Ref:451920)   #20
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvines better then herbert and mcnish put together
Old 17 Dec 2002, 17:06 (Ref:451927)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
How do u figure that one out? In 1999 he did okay in a good car. Since then hes done well, nothing herbert on the other hand while he hasnt been outstanding has at least proved what he can do, in the 2000 season in the Jag he was putting out some good performances especially in the R1.

As for Mcnish, ok he didnt do brillantly either in F1, but the car he was in was well the same level as the Jags to be fair, if that. Irvine is all washed up, as far as F1 is concerned even Eddie Jordan isnt sure about him now..
Old 30 Dec 2002, 08:41 (Ref:459965)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by BennyBoy1978
Irvines better then herbert and mcnish put together

Saleen's right BennyBoy - you're gonna have to justify that one. The guy's a has-been (some would say he's a "never-was"). I've no doubt he could be a good sports car driver again, but in terms of experience and understanding of what it takes to drive in long-distance sports car events, both Herbert and McNish (and many others) leave him a long way behind.

As always - IMHO.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Dec 2002 at 08:41.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 10:38 (Ref:460005)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
IMHO.
Help ! My english lesson of the day : what measn IMHO ?

I've got My HangOver ?

Last edited by Fab; 30 Dec 2002 at 10:39.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 12:16 (Ref:460034)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Help ! My english lesson of the day : what measn IMHO ?

I've got My HangOver ?

"In my honest opinion"

Although I like your thought much better.......
Old 2 Jan 2003, 22:04 (Ref:462320)   #25
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Nope, AW will be with Dyson. They'll be running 2 MG/Lolas in ALMS for '03, possibly in LeMans as well.