Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who will get the Honda engine next year?
BAR will get the deal 22 52.38%
Jordan will come out on top 13 30.95%
Honda will continue to supply both 2 4.76%
Minardi will steal it from both of them 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 May 2001, 12:45 (Ref:98834)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Jordan or BAR?

I know everyone is sick of Polls, but this one is simple.

At AUTOSPORT.com I read that Honda plans to go back to supplying only one team next year. Will the buy out BAR or continue their 5 year commitment to Eddie.

Thoughts?
Old 30 May 2001, 13:22 (Ref:98851)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gee Wrex,

Scintillating response to this one Big Fella!
Old 30 May 2001, 13:24 (Ref:98852)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it looks better than it is - I voted the same as you!
Old 30 May 2001, 16:04 (Ref:98904)   #4
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With JV's Podium and 4th in Monaco I think that Jordan doesn't have it in the bag anymore.

Plus with Jordan Honda loses JV for marketing in the U.S. and Canada as well as Japan.

Honda will support BAR and eventually end up owning the team.
Old 30 May 2001, 17:01 (Ref:98926)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The general feeling around the paddock (according to itv) is that BAR will get it, Jordan will be dumped at the end of this year. There was even a rumour that an announcement would be made this week.

While Jordan's cars appear to be faster, they are also much more unreliable, and have had trouble finishing this season. BAR have not been as fast, but have often been around at the end to collect the points. Honda are supposedly very fond of Jacques Villeneuve and want him to carry the manufacturer to the top step of the podium and beyond. The first podium was also a big deal, even if it came at the hand of Mika Hakkinen's bad luck.

There are also rumours that Jordan have been talking with Mercedes about possibly supplying another team...

IMO, Jordan probably already knows their fate.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 May 2001, 23:52 (Ref:99106)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It seem's to me that Honda will stay with BAR so that in the future the can purchase the team..They have JV and Honda like him a lot.
Old 31 May 2001, 01:50 (Ref:99128)   #7
renault110
Rookie

renault110 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Got to agree with Ed G.
Old 31 May 2001, 03:07 (Ref:99159)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon Honda will go with BAR - but if they had brains they'd go with Jordan.
Old 31 May 2001, 04:21 (Ref:99168)   #9
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also feel the edge goes to BAR in this one. JV has recently re-affirmed his commitment to the team, and I think he knows something's in the cards. He is the only one of the drivers really connected to Honda (and Japan, having raced there). Trulli is Flav's guy, Heinz is out of the Mercedes camp, and Olivier's never driven a Honda before BAR, I think?
Honda will buy the team, followed by some major housecleaning. Sooner than later, I hope....
Old 31 May 2001, 07:08 (Ref:99198)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, I'd have to say BAR. They are a bigger team, and have more money.
Old 31 May 2001, 15:12 (Ref:99335)   #11
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
Olivier's never driven a Honda before BAR, I think?
Honda will buy the team, followed by some major housecleaning. Sooner than later, I hope....
Panis drove a Ligier MUGEN-HONDA .

Apart from that, Honda has the possibility to purchase BAR, not Jordan. And have young engineers working and learning F1 at BAR, not at Jordan.
I think they got a deal with Jordan mainly to know if the fault in BAR's last year performance was due to BAR or to themselves, and also to accelerate the engine's developement.
But now with Toyota entering the arena, they need to concentrate their efforts on only one team; and I think that team will be BAR.
Old 31 May 2001, 18:02 (Ref:99396)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Run Free, i think you're on the mark. Jordan might be abetter short-term solution, but Honda wants CONTROL and BAR will be a wholly-owned Honda company in no time.
Old 31 May 2001, 18:06 (Ref:99401)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erm, pitlane gossip says that Jacques is not a good engine-feedback guy and that Honda find him frustrating to work with. "He can go very fast but when he gets out of the car, he cannot tell you why he went fast."

Plus Jacques is not really that popular with the Honda people.

However, anything can happen and most usually does. I think it'll stay as it is.
Old 31 May 2001, 20:40 (Ref:99453)   #14
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Erm, pitlane gossip says that Jacques is not a good engine-feedback guy and that Honda find him frustrating to work with. "He can go very fast but when he gets out of the car, he cannot tell you why he went fast."

Plus Jacques is not really that popular with the Honda people.

However, anything can happen and most usually does. I think it'll stay as it is.
At least Jacques is very good in setup (see Monaco, where Panis was miles behind Jacques all the weekend) and in tyres work (Patrick Head himself said this). So, with Panis being able in engine feedback (but what it means with all the telemetry data?) BAR has all what they need in terms of drivers. BTW, if you haven't a fast car you need fast drivers...

I too have got the impression that Jacques wasn't "popular" with someone at Honda: they have political troubles as well as BAR.
What a shame things have gone this way, they've so much potential
Old 1 Jun 2001, 05:44 (Ref:99607)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well the rumor is that a decision will be handed down at Canada. I think BAR will be bought out, as Honda always wanted their own team. And with Toyota and Renault doing the same, it is an obvious choice. What will Eddie do? Are Mercs really an option?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 11:12 (Ref:99696)   #16
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'll be BAR, but I'm feeling optimistic so I voted for Minardi!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 13:29 (Ref:99745)   #17
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'd say BAR will get the Honda engines because they're doing better than Jordan so far. Things could change though, and Honda will probably hold out to see who's ahead nearer to the end of the season.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Jun 2001, 13:38 (Ref:99748)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

I have thought about this long and hard, throught the long and cold night.

And I agreee with R_ _ F's Girl!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 13:41 (Ref:99750)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bar. definitely.
although where that'll leave eddie jordan in terms of driver contracts, money, etc nobody knows. will they go to being customer supplied by honda or what?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 14:44 (Ref:99783)   #20
ireshad
Rookie

ireshad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I'd say BAR will get the Honda engines because they're doing better than Jordan so far.

Can I presume there was sarcasm involved there? Jordan have consistantly out-qualified, out raced and to date out pointed BAR. I went for Jordan assuming that Honda are looking for results soon. If however they are looking ahead awhile to buying out a team and ditching its management then it will be BAR. I think it would be a mistake on their part though. It also doesn't sit well with the fact they have already abandoned one Team Honda theory in favour of just suppling engines.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 16:25 (Ref:99814)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by ireshad
Can I presume there was sarcasm involved there? Jordan have consistantly out-qualified, out raced and to date out pointed BAR.
Nope, no sarcasm involved - to look at the results, they suggest BAR are actually doing better. BAR are only a point behind Jordan, and they have already finished on the podium once compared to Jordan who haven't had a podium yet this season. Plus BAR have the advantage of having a previous world champion on board (a team with a former WDC is far more marketable than a team whose lead driver has only won three races).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Jun 2001, 17:14 (Ref:99854)   #22
ireshad
Rookie

Melbourne:

Qual 4 & 7 Jordan, 8 & 9 BAR
Race 5 Jordan 7 Bar (1 Jordan 1 BAR DNF)

Sepang

Qual 5 & 9 Jordan 7 & 10 BAR
Race 4 & 8 Jordan (2 BAR DNF)

Interlagos

Qual 7 & 8 Jordan 11 & 12 BAR
Race 5 Jordan 4 & 7 BAR (1 Jordan DNF)

Imola
Qual 5 & 9 Jordan 8 & 11 BAR
Race 5 & 6 Jordan 8 BAR (1 BAR DNF)

Barcelona
Qual 6 & 8 Jordan 7 & 11 BAR
Race 4 Jordan 3 & 7 BAR (1 Jordan DNF)

A1
Qual 5 & 11 Jordan 10 & 12 BAR
Race 5 & 8 BAR (2 Jordan DNF)

Monaco
Qual 8 & 13 Jordan 9 & 12 BAR
Race 4 Bar (2 Jordan 1 BAR DNF)

Basically what that shows is that 1: A BAR has NEVER been the highest qualified Honda, and 2. Points finish wise, Jordans have finished in the points 6 times to Hondas 4, and in races where at least one Jordan and one Bar finished its honours even for the season 2-2.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 17:15 (Ref:99856)   #23
ireshad
Rookie

And Jordan lead BAR in the WCC.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 20:35 (Ref:99944)   #24
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the response I'm going to be in the minority to sat Jordon will get the Honda deal, although track results are very important Honda likes the image and the way Eddie Jordon runs his team. Jordon have a youthful dynamic image which Honda want to be associated with to broden there car sales and this may be the key to it.
Frentzen appears a weak link and its almost certain one driver will go next year, if Jordon take on a Japenese driver then the Honda deal will be theirs, but I really think the image "thing" is a consideration for Honda to try and get away from the over 6o's car driver....

Guy
Old 1 Jun 2001, 21:20 (Ref:99970)   #25
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm voting for BAR as they have a close relationship with Honda already and In my opinion , a better driver lineup than EJ. That being said, I still love Jordan and hope they remain competitive. Would be a sad day in F1 if they didn't have a decent engine supplier.